• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Started by dosplus, May 03, 2015, 02:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dosplus

Hi Everyone
New member to this forum.  I have had a 1990 205 gti sitting in my garage for many years now, in front of it I have a 405 mi16 engine that I bought the whole car to extract, then sold the shell.  Having lived in the UK for many years, I am now back and pondering my options.  Obviously every 205 in the uk seems to have had the conversions done, however I am now wondering if its the best move, or if Id be best just to get it back on the road as it is!  Any thoughts on how easy the conversion is, how worthwhile it is, or just let me know what you might have done with yours that worked!
I have owned french cars in the past, clio 172, 182 whilst in the UK, and loved them to bits.  Now the family is here the small hatch will be for fun....
Cheers, nice to be here

Mungous

Welcome along! How straight and tidy is your 205? Tidy original ones are getting a but thin on the ground these days!

There's more than a few guys on here with Mi-engined 205s (and 309s as well) who can give you the down-low on the Mi conversion. In fact, half the Mi conversions in the North island probably involved some of our members.

Other options now include going for the later cast iron block 2.0 (from an early 306 S16) or the 167bhp GTi-6 engine. Plenty of experience on these boards for those conversions as well (not that they're hugely different to the Mi conversion).

The later EW engines also fit, and they are probably a better all-round engine. But so far this conversion is not as commonly done, so not as easy.

If you're just after a spicier 205 for some road-based fun, it's pretty hard to go past the Mi engine. But if you have aspirations of track use, then the later engines are probably a better option...
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

Pee Dubbaya

Welcome also. Hugh Mungous has it in a nutshell.
I've done the same as you are planning, mi16 into 205. Working early morning til late the conversion took a solid week for two people (one of whom has done many previous mi conversions). That included basic (head on) engine strip, thorough clean of everything under the bonnet & new suspension bushes.
Changes the chacter of the car a bit- the standard 8v is nice and torquey in the mid-range, & the mi is more powerful and responsive at higher revs.
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

sp1ked

Welcome mate. Sell the Mi16, rebuild the 8V and come 2KCup racing. Much better use of your cash IMO :)

Post some pics of your car when you can. Be great to see it.
1988 205 GTI
1985 205 LHD Project

Bokasihu

I do not know that I would have to do to be better.

dosplus

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  My 205 is relatively straight but certainly not a minter.  Has done a fair few miles and I drove it for years as a daily driver, however it never did like idling in traffic, although I think that is just the way they are!
How much would I be looking for to get the conversion done in a similar fashion to what Pee has done?  I had read that the mi16 engine was a bit of a classic engine, but now you have me wondering if I'd be better just picking up a GTi-6 engine!
Thanks again for all the feedback!

RS

Welcome.

Depends on what you want if for and what you perceive as fast vs fun.

To me, a stock GTI is about balance, its a classic car. Not sure I would go to the effort unless I had the time to do it myself.

Cheers. Enjoy.

dosplus

Thanks, I am beginning to think that might be the way forward.  Having said that the stock engine might need a bit of a freshen up.  Is there a crowd in either Auckland or Hawkes Bay that anyone would recommend for that?

Thanks Again

Pee Dubbaya

Don't know about the Hawkes Bay but Bishops or Greg Kent are probably the places to go in Auckland. In saying that it's a pretty straightforward design so any garage worth its salt 'should' be able to do a rebuild.
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

dosplus

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will give those guys a call and have a chat.