Author Topic: New Member - Clio RS  (Read 12202 times)

Offline nicf23

• Tadpole
Re: New Member - Clio RS
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 07:20:53 PM »
One other thing that I thought was interesting. People hate getting overtaken by the Clio! They just refuse to get out of the way and get grumpy when you push past. Major contrast to the GT-R, where other cars almost go off the road trying to get out of your way, even though they don't need to (600bhp makes courtesy from others irrelevant). Funny. I think blokes that think they are going quickly hate a tiny, tall French car with rear doors harassing them. Which is half the fun of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rolly

• Fast Frog
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 08:21:39 PM »
Yup, I've aggrieved many a large horsepower machine in the Clio and as you say most do not take lightly to being passed by a cute little shopping basket.

Great to see you choosing the clio as your track weapon, they really are a versatile little machine. I still can't give up my three door even with kids with car seats and a dog, because they all fit in!
04 Clio RS - daily
03 Hirsch Saab 9-5 Sportcombi - family wagon
97 106 Gti - Current 2KCUP car - unknown quantity.
97 106 Gti - road car currently in bits after offering itself up as a sacrifice to the race car.

Offline eye.double.you

• Rookie Frog
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 08:04:42 PM »
Photos of the RS! Plus a bonus photo to explain why there's a Holden parked in the background.

All were taken from turn 3. Sadly I neglected to remember my trackside pass to get shots from anywhere else...
Wheels: S1 Rallye, S1 Elise, FF

Offline Mungous

• Fast Frog
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 09:03:15 PM »
Those VK Holdens make excellent farm implements!
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

Offline nicf23

• Tadpole
New Member - Clio RS
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 09:32:03 PM »
Brilliant photos, thanks for posting. Interesting to see it loading the tires even in the wet. I don't love the dunlops it came on (planning on going to MPSS) but they were good in the rain.

I have just got back from Rally Whangerei. Didn't even think about taking the GT-R and the Clio was just so so good. Rolled up there comfortably at  illegal velocities with the cruise control on, then entertained in the twisties. Now enough power to drop almost anything in passing lanes. And of course the small size was a massive advantage parking on each stage. I really am quite in love with the car at the moment and the GT-R seems a bit silly and over the top by comparison. Which I hate to say. I should probably drag it out of the garage and see how I feel after a proper drive.

Note the small French city car surrounded by 4WDs. Just like in Remuera.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:35:44 PM by nicf23 »

Offline eye.double.you

• Rookie Frog
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 10:30:05 AM »
No worries. PM you email address if you want higher-res copies.
Wheels: S1 Rallye, S1 Elise, FF

Offline nicf23

• Tadpole
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 10:54:19 PM »
Just done a couple of track days in just over a week- first Taupo then Pukekohe. The Clio went really, really well. Suits both tracks. At Taupo you do wish you had a proper LSD with those long slow corners, butt at Pukekohe today just perfect. It ripped round there and absolutely nothing got past (ok, a R35 GT-R did).

The tires are toast now though. Thinking I might go to Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the extra track day grip. The car is a little traction limited since the remap and while I am learning to drive around it it would nice to have to do so less. It is such a different car to the GT-R: all about conserving speed and getting it rotated. It is very oversteery for a FWD car...

And in other news the GT-R is gone. It had its two years and I have moved in a complete different direction. Italian, V8, and no roof.

Offline rolly

• Fast Frog
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 08:23:55 AM »
Wished I had popped down to take a look, but too busy getting the pug ready for cage tomorrow.  What kind of lap times were you getting?

Puke is a courage track, so if your cars handling gives you confidence you can really push over the hill and through turn 1. It is also more suited to more road orientated suspension than race car due to the bumps.
04 Clio RS - daily
97 106 Gti - road car currently in bits after offering itself up as a sacrifice to the race car.

Offline dowleh

• Knowledgeable Frog
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »
if you don't mind me asking, what is the so-called roofless Italian?
Gone:
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI
Current:
2002 Renault Clio RS

Offline nicf23

• Tadpole
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2016, 11:32:57 PM »
Ran reliably 1.26.xx- I would say there is another second in the car with a clear track and a perfect lap but a lot of traffic so never quite got a run on. As you say, a track that is all about confidence and speed, not at all technical, and so much fun. The Clio managed the bumps well and fast enough that traction not an issue (which was a problem in Taupo).

This should get the internet going but it would have been much slower and less fun with a manual box. The ability to grab a gear without upsetting the balance is important around there and in race mode the box is every bit as quick as you would want. The bores who claim a manual is essential need to join the 21st century.

Offline nicf23

• Tadpole
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 11:34:01 PM »
On the new car: first correct guess wins a prize.

Offline MYRUSH

• Fast Frog
  • FASTER!
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 12:24:51 AM »
458 Spider?
Present:
Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Rallye S1
BMW M5 E60 V10
Pug 306 Cabrio 2.0

Past:
Pug 406 Sedan
2x Pug 406 V6 Sedan
Pug 406 V6 Coupe
Pug 205 GTi 1.9
4x Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Diesel

Offline dowleh

• Knowledgeable Frog
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »
Maserati GranCabrio?
Gone:
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI
Current:
2002 Renault Clio RS

Offline rolly

• Fast Frog
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »
At a guess there is more like another 3-4 seconds in the car ;-) probabably limtied by the standard seat and belts. Get a 4 point clip in harness, it is amazing how much quicker you can go when not having to HANG ON!
04 Clio RS - daily

Offline nicf23

• Tadpole
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 10:14:52 PM »
Ha, no way there is 3-4 seconds left. Next time I am at the track I will invite you down to see if you can just keep up!

GranCabrio is 90% right. GranCabrio Sport (google the difference). Sadly it was hit by a minivan on day 1 and is in the panelbeaters... so no pics till I am back from overseas in January. Bugger.