• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

New Member - 205 GTI

Started by thatblokesteve, January 24, 2016, 09:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatblokesteve

Hi Guys,

I've owned four standard 205 GTI's in the past, back in the UK.  Was hooked since I bought my first one in 1998.  Really great fun to own and drive I reckon.

I just arrived in Wellington for work.  My missus has agreed to let me buy a car for the work run.  Time is short so I'm on the lookout for something interesting before I run out of time (and patience of the wife) and forced to buy something a bit more sensible!

My first choice would be a 205 GTI (1.6 or 1.9), second choice probably a 309 GTI, but I've never owned one.  I've checked TradeMe and tried to Google, but can't find a lot out there.

- Steve.

RS

Welcome.

Daily driving a 205 should be fun in 2016.

Mungous

Welcome along! Good to see more 205 GTi love out there.

Key thing to remember with these cars is that they are now all 25+ years old. Whatever you pay for a car, you should budget at least the same amount again for preventive maintenance. Possibly more. And that's after you spend a fair bit on remedial maintenance!

Lots of helpful guys on here that can help out with advice etc.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

SpikeUK

Hi and Welcome

Keep looking they do come up, not sure about using a 205 as a daily drive at the risk of stating the obvious they are French and the parts are not as widely available here as they are in the UK so sometimes you have to wait for parts.

But your in the right place on here some really friendly knowable guys that will alway try to help.
Good luck with the search and don't give up!!

KITSorGTFO

Howdy!

I have my 205 1.9 up for sale atm,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1015946897

Been using it as a daily myself but need to sell as I have just got a company car and don't need her anymore.
Mechanically she is brilliant, just at Bishop's getting brand new WoF and a service.
Only needs a paint job and a dash and would be in pretty mint condition.

Pee Dubbaya

Welcome to Welly and to Fastfrogs. There's a few 205's that get around locally (including my red one with every panel a different shade of red!), but I don't know of any for sale. I wouldn't muck around and just buy Kits one - good price and would be a sweet daily. BTW where's your commute to/from?
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

MescaL

I daily drove 3 x 205 GTi's over 10 years in NZ, sure a bit of work is required, I ended up having to buy 3 of them, and maybe they were off the road intermittently. But can totally be done =P.

thatblokesteve

Thanks for all the replies!

The commute would be only 10-15 mins around the bays to Miramar, but the car would be right on the seafront so exposed to plenty of salt water esp. when the southerlies kick in.  Not sure how a 205 would fare in those conditions in winter - lots of the pugs in the UK are starting to show signs of rust now.

Kit - what sort of condition is the dash in?  Is it missing panels or a more major than that?

Cheers.

KITSorGTFO

Hey Steve,

Dash is all there apart from the flap for the coin tray. The dash itself though is pretty much cracked throughout so would need either plastic welding or a preferably a whole new dash.

So yeah other than that and a new paint job the car is all together, no rust etc and runs perfectly. Just flew through a wof yesterday.