• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

New Member 95 306 S16

Started by GABO, December 08, 2015, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GABO

Bonjour all, recently just purchased my first fast frog a 95 306 S16 in white! Loving the drive apart from one irk, a small leak from the transmission. Tried Lucas Transmission leak fix after spotting a thread on Aussie frogs and has made a difference but still a drip there after longer stints. Had some advice that it's a bit of work to pull out and reseal box so wanted to know if anyone else has had similar issue? And any advice on better clutch/flywheel setups as would probably get clutch done at same time if box is out.

Other than that just wanted o say hi and look forward to rattling around on the boards talking about French metal! You might spot me on a Friday at French Bakery on Dominion Rd :-]

L:-]   

Mungous

Howdy, and welcome along! The 306 is a firm Fast Frog favourite these days - so much fun per dollar...

There's plenty of experienced 306 people lurking on these boards that can help with the gearbox leak. Any idea where exactly the leak is coming from? The usual culprit is diff side seals - you only need to pop the driveshafts out to replace those.

Mmm, croissants...
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

GABO

Cheers for the warm welcome  8) Mechanic who had a look said it didn't appear to be coming from the diff seals. Which was a bummer. Put some seal along edge of transmission housing. Can feel moisture there and around back. Will have to get it up in air and take a better look. Don't have much experience with front wheel drive so still getting my bearings on where everything sits. Will attempt to get it in the air and snap some pics.

Cheers L:-]

Don Simon

Probably be the rear main seals (hockey sticks) Take it to bishops - they'll know straight away !
91 Peugeot 205 GTI MI-16
11 Ds3 Dsport HDI (Becky's)
97 Peugeot 306 Dturbo
1995 Citroen AX GT

GABO

Cheers Don! Sounds spot on will swing by Bishops when I get a chance and have them take a look. Not to worried but don't want to upset the father in-law by spotting his driveway  ::) Will post some pics up soon of the S16!

Cheers L:-]

Wally

Hi Gabo welcome aboard, I to pilot a 306 S16,  I'm sure you will find many knowledgeable peps here at Fast Frogs, I have only been a member for a couple of months and already I have meet many great gurus of French autos here.  Are you going to race your Pug ?
2014 Renault Clio (Wifes)
306 S16 2k cup x2
309 GTI 8V soon to be Mi16
Skoda Superb
VW T5 Van

GABO

Cheers Wally :-] Very pleased with the reception so far and looking forward to spinning a yarn with all the French car enthusiasts here! Not sure I'll race the Pug as I wouldn't qualify for 2k Cup due to price of purchase, but defiantly keen to get the sweet16 out on the track. Had a look at track days at Hampton Downs but they are all sold out I think through until January. Gives me some time at least to tidy up a few things. Was contemplating getting some EBC green brake pads to get better stopping power and have a small transmission leak I need to attend to. Are you racing yours? Be interested to hear what modifications if any you have done? Maybe in the future we could get some fast frogs together for a track day? 

Wally

If you are available we will be racing at Pukekohe tomorrow, drop by if you can.
2014 Renault Clio (Wifes)
306 S16 2k cup x2
309 GTI 8V soon to be Mi16
Skoda Superb
VW T5 Van

GABO

Sweet man, will do my best to see if I can make it out. Good luck! Go Pugs!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer with the back. Horsepower is how fast you hit it and torque if how far you take the wall"

igagatyou

Hey welcome, I hope to own a the bigger brother of the s16 i.e the gti-6 one day. Are they nice to drive? Have you ever driven a normal 306 i.e XR, XT? How would you compare the handling?

GABO

Hey, S16 is my first PUG and have only driven later model Peugeot's so can't compare to lesser models of same generation. But I love the handling, chassis of mine. Sharp, lots of feedback with a solid European feel at speed. I test drove a 207 GTI before buying the S16 and the S16 gives you a lot more feeling. GTI-6's extra horsepower and 6 speed box would be nice. I like the look of S16 motor under the hood better thogh. I wouldn't mind an extra 30-50 horsepower to really make it fly, but haven't liked a car as much since my Series 3 RX7. Really easy to live with and drive through Auckland's miserable traffic. Whatever you get make sure it has good rubber on it. Will make a huge difference in characteristics.

GABO L:-]