Author Topic: New member, old car  (Read 6690 times)

Offline isthisoneok

• Tadpole
New member, old car
« on: December 26, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »
Hey all thought it was about time I join up. I recently purchased zealot/Kev the greats old car. Been loving it so far. Aside from a few annoying issues as expected.

Our whole family has a bit of history with Peugeot's. I learnt to drive in a 505 wagon. We also had a 505 sedan and 405 diesel sedan. Before that my father had a few older pugs and my grandad had plenty also. My first car was 306xsi. Now me and my little bro (Taylord on here) both have 205's so keeping the family tradition alive.

Keen to improve the car over the next little while. The paint and panel work is rough and some extra performance upgrades would be nice.

Cheers!

Todd

Offline spf62

• Tadpole
Re: New member, old car
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 08:10:06 PM »
Hey man, welcome and we've sort of met in a way...that was me in my silver 205 mi16 you waved out to passing on the north western bypass last night. I noticed the rego straight away as Kev's car, test drove it while I was living in Chch.

I missed out on buying her by 2 weeks so it's great to see she's gone to a fellow enthusiast!

I bought mine off weezer from this site 3 weeks ago and it's been a blast. Be good to catch up... been meaning
to catch up with Dangerous9 who also has a 205 mi16.
1988 205 GTI MI16

Offline isthisoneok

• Tadpole
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 10:41:40 PM »
Hey cool man, that was actually my little bro he keeps stealing the car off me. His is currently out of action with his 205 getting a gti6 transplant soon.

Hah yea when I saw weezers up for sale I was almost wishing I'd waited.... looks quite tidy. Yea be keen to catch up and compare cars actually. Mine has been feeling a bit down on power lately and not sure if it's just in my head/gotten used to it, or a genuine issue.

Keep in touch. Cheers.

Todd

Offline spf62

• Tadpole
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 09:04:38 AM »
Yeah the paint work is pretty good having had a respray three years ago but interior needs some work.
Looking at getting seats retrimmed or replaced altogether. Just researching aftermarket seats that work
witht the front seat tilt setup.
Your cars interior is very good compared to most I've seen as seats n carpet are in great condition. Prob just
some paint work as I remember a bare metal patch on passenger door and clear coat on the bonnet.
Yeah, my engine goes hard but has a random miss about 4k rpm mark... only happened 3 times but will be hard to
trouble shoot when it runs fine 99.9% of the time.
1988 205 GTI MI16

Offline isthisoneok

• Tadpole
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 12:03:21 PM »
Ha yep troubleshooting obscure issues is all part of the fun.... mine was cutting out originally. Turned out to be crank angle sensor. Now it's missing/dropping revs around left hand 90 degree corners. Can alsmost make it happen everytime...

Offline Pugly

• Tadpole
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 02:06:39 PM »
Hi

Are you in the Christchurch area? It would be great if we could get a few of the locals together for run in the country, or just a coffee.

Cheers, Pugly
1958 Austin A35
1965 Triumph Vitesse Convertable (Undergoimg restoration)
1967 Triumph 2000 (One owner for 49 years)
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9
2003 Peugeot 307 (Daily runner)
2004 Rover 75 V6 Connoisseur (Daily runner)

Offline bryand

• Global Moderator
  • Adolescent Frog
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 04:24:53 PM »
"missing/dropping revs around left hand 90 degree corners"

I had a car that had similar troubles. Finally traced it to the coil bracket chaffing through the coil casing. Some of the insulating oil had leaked out and the centrifugal force from cornering was draining the remaining oil to one side and causing an internal short in the coil.

It was fine in a straight line or cornering to the right.

Current:
1988 Peugeot 309 SR
1989 Peugeot 309 SRi

Offline isthisoneok

• Tadpole
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 09:46:35 PM »
Hey Pugly, should of said I'm based in Auckland.

BryanD: Ok cheers for the info I'll look into it. Always good to have a bit of help diagnosing these problems and a place to start at least.

Offline spf62

• Tadpole
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 08:15:57 PM »
Ok all this talk of missing seems to have had some effect! Lol

This morning I noticed a miss at relatively low rpm, but was worse this avo under
straight line acceleration on the motorway, car coughed through mid range,
yet revved freely when not under load??? Did this everytime I stepped on it
1988 205 GTI MI16

Offline Pee Dubbaya

• Administrator
  • Fast Frog
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 09:23:46 PM »
Ok all this talk of missing seems to have had some effect! Lol

This morning I noticed a miss at relatively low rpm, but was worse this avo under
straight line acceleration on the motorway, car coughed through mid range,
yet revved freely when not under load??? Did this everytime I stepped on it
Sounds exactly like the symptoms I've recently had, lots of troubleshooting and the missing just kept getting worse. Ended up being the ignition module (mounted to alloy plate on the inside of the LF guard).
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

Offline spf62

• Tadpole
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 07:54:26 PM »
Sounds exactly like the symptoms I've recently had, lots of troubleshooting and the missing just kept getting worse. Ended up being the ignition module (mounted to alloy plate on the inside of the LF guard).

It went away but the missing is back with a vengance on a nice piece of motorway
driving (so I thought)... coughed its way through a nicely executed passing move... so frustrating
and embaraesing at the same time! Must be something loose as engine stutters when going over bumps
when accelerating. Will be booking it in to Greg Kents sooner than later. Aaargh
1988 205 GTI MI16

Offline isthisoneok

• Tadpole
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 10:23:34 PM »
Mine also has gotten worse... might try ignition module. It has progressed from dying on LH corners to doing it anytime now. Also noticed coolant was a bit low the other day so half filled the bottle. It then spewed it all over the road when I was parked up at home and it emptied to the same level it was at before topping up.... ?

Offline spf62

• Tadpole
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 11:14:06 PM »
Hey Todd, got a full service last week at Greg Kents and told him about the intermittent miss I was experiencing. He checked afm, coil and dizzy cap which were all in good order and reckons it can only be fuel pump. I also searched old posts for 2 hours and finally found someone who had the same problem and after much trouble shooting, the prob was fixed when fuel pump replaced. (Forgot to copy the post)
Greg Kents doesnt have any on hand but is gng to try and source the pump body. Other option is expensive ordering it (forgot who he said) but its expensive at $800.
1988 205 GTI MI16

Offline DangerousPerson9

• Adolescent Frog
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »
Might be time for an Auckland 205 meet!
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16

Offline spf62

• Tadpole
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
Keen! Was going to drop you a text... been busy with work but be good to get our cars together and compare.
1988 205 GTI MI16