• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Started by Matariki, June 26, 2020, 10:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matariki

Hi All,

This is my first post and I just wanted to introduce myself.  Unfortunately I don't have an interesting collect of cars sitting in the garage, unlike most of you, but that is in part why I have joined the forum.  I have been a fan of the Renault RS models for a long time and would like to have one of my own, but they seem to be a bit of a rarity in NZ (or at least are cherished by their owners and not regularly sold).  There are obviously a lot available in the UK, but I am put off by the stories of rust and maintenance issues, particularly in the older cars, which I have a soft spot for.

Anyway, I'm keen to learn what I can and welcome any buying tips that you might have.

Cheers.

Griffe

Welcome aboard the SS Fastfrog!

It's been a bit quiet around here for a while but there's still plenty of interesting conversations and IP swapping going on.  What have you got to drive at the moment?  Anything remotely interesting?
It's a workup

Matariki

Sorry nothing interesting yet.  ;)

Mungous

Early Clio RSs (171/172) come up pretty regularly. Usually around the $4-7k mark. Or less for a crappy one. There's two on TradeMe right now. Rust doesn't seem to be a big issue for them here in NZ.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

Matariki

Thanks for that.  Any idea of the difference in dynamics between a Clio and a Megane?  Obviously the Megane is larger, but that does make it a bit more user friendly when chucking gear/people, etc in the back.

Mungous

Yep - Megane is a step up in size and quality. The Clio is an entry level car, and the RS is obviously a racier version of it. The Megane is bigger all round, and has higher specifications in most areas.

In my opinion, the earlier Clios are awesome. There are very few of the sporty early Meganes in NZ (which is a shame), but the later turbo Meganes are also pretty cool (if you are ok with a turbo instead of a ropey N/A engine).
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

Matariki

Thanks, I didn't realise that there was a quality difference between the Clio and Megane.  Yes, I've found early sport Meganes hard to come by.  That later Meganes are cool, but aren't as quirky as the earlier one.

RS

Welcome.

Quality is average on all Renaults, but, that is how the French build cars, they never intend them to last more than 5 years let alone 10....

I have two 10+ year old Renault RS's and they drive well, my yellow R26 has 190,000km on it and its tight with normal maintenance items over the years.

Parts are reasonable if you know where and what to shop for, K-Tec in the UK offer god pricing and freight on parts... and joy, "pic-a-part" places are starting to buy the odd Renault that can be handy. Failing that just buy two or three of the same model.

Matariki

Thanks for the tips.  Is your R26 NZ new or did you import it?

RS

Quote from: Matariki on July 15, 2020, 01:03:58 PM
Thanks for the tips.  Is your R26 NZ new or did you import it?

Car come from Ozstralia. Have had to replace a few bits.

Window regulator, wiper motor.

I am converting the interior to "LUX" spec that NZ and Aus didn't get, have dome leather interior and sound deadening.

Matariki

How did you go about the importation process from Oz?  Is it difficult to up spec to the "Lux" pack?

Horace72

Hi,
if you are keen on an R5, i do of one that will be up for sale soon.
Let me know and I'll talk to the family.
Current Stead - 2000 306 XS 3 door, 1989 R25 Auto

Previous Steads - 1974 Triumph Dolomite
1975 Ford Cortina 2000E
1974 Holden Statesman

RS

Quote from: Matariki on August 12, 2020, 10:54:01 AM
How did you go about the importation process from Oz?  Is it difficult to up spec to the "Lux" pack?

Cost me about $2,000 for freight from Australia, I had a spare motor in the back and a few other bits.

I got a good one, as in the paint is nice, no chips and mostly original. Its the Liquid Yellow colour that sold me.

The Lux interior I have lifted from a well specked 2nd "parts car" that I got off Trade-Me.

My recommendation would be to start with a good Clio RS, a 172 or 182 that has been looked after will only go up in value from this point. Enjoy that for a while and if you want to go faster save for a Megane 3 RS, they are an absolute weapon and a nicer drive than the older RS225/R26. Have driven many and owned several now.

Matariki

Cheers for the advice - very sensible  ;D.  Funnily enough I have just picked up a Clio - a 197 RS Cup.  The Megane RS 3s are very cool - good to hear your recommendations about them.