• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Looking for my first Peugeot!

Started by hip205gti, August 05, 2009, 11:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hip205gti

...oh...and I had a 1960 Chevrolet Corvair about 15 years ago...you wanna experience hairy cornering on the limit with the threat of an excursion into the scenery if you lift off mid-corner?....try one of those! ;D
1989 Peugeot 205 GTi
1971 Peugeot 103 VS

Carpentry

Didn't those Corvairs have like, stone-age turbochargers on them or something? American cars on corners are lol as
Take it to Bishops

hip205gti

Quote from: Carpentry on August 11, 2009, 10:56:52 AM
Didn't those Corvairs have like, stone-age turbochargers on them or something? American cars on corners are lol as

Yep, the Monza version did, about 150hp out of a 2.5 litre all aluminium flat-6, back in 1962 wasn't too bad for a mass produced car... BMW generally claims they produced the first turbocharged production car, but Chevrolet beat them by about 4 years I think...though BMW could say 'the first turbocharged production car that handled' ;D
The Corvair's main problem was unrestricted rear swing arms (like old beetles) which past 'the point of no return' tended to tuck up under the car and you went backwards (and usualling rolling) into whatever was beside the road! Tyre pressure was critical for these cars...combine general American laziness (in regard to car maintenance) with 'different' handling and you had a recipe for disaster. General Motors apparently knew of the handling traits but were more interested in saving the $1.36 per car it would have cost to fit the neccessary parts on the production line to improve handling!

Ralph Nader made a career out of this car, check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed

The WHOLE first chapter was on the Corvair! Still...a fun car!
1989 Peugeot 205 GTi
1971 Peugeot 103 VS

hip205gti

"American cars on corners are lol as"

Carpentry,
I agree, I also had a 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible for quite a while...used to scrape the door handles on the road around corners ;D ;D ;D
1989 Peugeot 205 GTi
1971 Peugeot 103 VS