• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hi

Started by fred2, November 17, 2009, 07:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred2

have been visiting this site on and off for a few years now, since just before I bought my 205 Gti 1.9.  Not a very great example - Jap spec detuned version - and it has since lost 5th, the clutch is shot, and it smokes rather badly.  French paint job too, and has the sun roof that also lets in water.  Sadly sitting with a tarp over it at my parent's house, but a fantastic car to drive. 

I decided I needed a car with a heater, and from what I read the best version of a more modern Peugeot was the 306 so managed to get one of these - a 98 306 Gti-6.  Apparently 180 hp, the first owner took the cat out and had it on a dyno.  A lot faster than the 205, not quite so fun to drive, but still pretty nice.  I use it daily, and every week for a trip to Greymouth to Westport - 105 km of great roads and no traffic (in the winter), the car has enough power to pass the campervans in the summer.  I have to be a bit careful of those campervans stopped on the wrong side of the road taking photos though..
It would be nice too to see a few more people driving that road, properly driving it I mean, there are a lot of bikes but they only seem to be fast on the straights.

Just got my 306 back from the shop today with a new rear beam - 2nd hand, from another 306, not Gti though.  It seems that the bearings inside the beam were wrecked causing the wheels to rub - not sure if this is the usual way for these to fail? 

I will try to take photos some time, the 306 isn't in such pristine condition though, courtesy of a possum just north of Punakaiki, and a weka out of Inangahua..  I need to track down a camera too

zephyrheaven

great roads over there, actually - great everything!

Griffe

I love Punakaiki so much
It's a workup

Wilski

welcome Fred ... I have a 1998 306 Gti-6 too such fun and also had a 205 Gti but UK spec ... i love the 306 ... although it does not feel as Go karty as the 205 i think its an incredible car especially over 4000 revs .. where are you in the south island ?? Presume over the coast somewhere .. i am in Christchurch
1998 306 GTi-6

fred2

Yes I'm in Westport.  Pretty isolated over here, but not much traffic and great roads!  I drive over to Christchurch quite a bit - fly to Auckland to meet girlfriend - and the Westport to Hanmer turnoff bit is pretty fun.  As long as it isn't snowing.. but been pretty lucky there. 

The long Canterbury straights aren't so good though - too many cops - as compared to long straights in Wairau valley (Blenheim to Buller) - only sheep to contend with there

kevlights

Hey those sun roofs,are'nt they supposed to leak?   Ha, that is part of the charm; love that road from Hokitika to Reefton and also to Punakaiki amazing corners and great views;   Welcome to frog ownership ,it is an interesting ride,Cheers Kev
note to self ;stop buying old Euro's and save up and buy a decent modern Euro! Xantia ?
  sold Xantia bought  a SD1 series 11 ,bugger !current ride a Smooth1995 900 s Saab.another 2000 Saab  93,1970 Maxi an BX GTI 1991,an CX 1986,also after lusting for local SZM

Kiwi6

I live for the 306!!  :D

Get a Peugeot

Peugeot S16/GTI-6
Peugeot S16/GTI-6                        Peugeot S16/GTI-6                                                Peugeot S16/GTI-6Peugeot S16/GTI-6