• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

New 206gti owner

Started by timbo 206gti, June 21, 2010, 02:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weezernz

Welcome Timbo!

Interestingly, the trackday I went to last year down here in Christchurch was really lax compared to some of the previous posts in here. I had to have a helmet and covered shoes, that was it! I wore t-shirt and shorts. They also told us to chuck out any loose stuff before we set out. I felt safe at the time, but maybe I shouldn't have?!
'94 106 Rallye S1 - '88 205 Mi16

timbo 206gti

Yo yeah I am more keen on them letting you loose so you can have fun on the track. i went to hampton downs and it was choice. I am installing the k&N filter tonight then first big drive tomorrow. Rain is not cool! Looking at other mods later but this car is so fun just loving it at the moment.

cammmy

^Is it a panel filter or did you get a 57i kit?
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

timbo 206gti

I just got panel filter. Not much difference that I can tell.

I have just got the dealer to agree to do a cambelt change as is clearly in need of one. (told me all the services were up to date) What are the things to look out for? Also change water pump etc?

Also I have a non-functioning computer so no trip info, no idea when lights on auto etc. The thing shows the date and time and that is it. What can I do? What is normally wrong with these?

Any ideas of people in Auck that might be able to help.

Also what size tyres should I be running. The 185/55/15 looks really skinny, what is the max diameter I should run?

What will I be looking at for new front rotors?

Thanks

Tim

Griffe

What year 206 GTi is it?  02?  What dealer did you purchase it off?  Have you tried pressing the end of the wiper stalk?  That will scroll through the trip computer info one line at at time

To turn the auto lights on you have to hold the button on the end of the indicator stalk for eith er 3 or 6 seconds, it will then bring up a message on the dash that will say something like 'AUTOMATIC LIGHTING ACTIVATED' Etc
It's a workup

cammmy

If you are looking at sourcing the rotors yourself talk to Isaac at speed.co.nz

He's really good and the pricing is very fair
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

CaM

or get brembo premiums from bnt for half the price.

1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

aerorobnz

Quote from: timbo 206gti on June 28, 2010, 04:05:13 PM
I just got panel filter. Not much difference that I can tell.

I have just got the dealer to agree to do a cambelt change as is clearly in need of one. (told me all the services were up to date) What are the things to look out for? Also change water pump etc?

Also I have a non-functioning computer so no trip info, no idea when lights on auto etc. The thing shows the date and time and that is it. What can I do? What is normally wrong with these?

Any ideas of people in Auck that might be able to help.

Also what size tyres should I be running. The 185/55/15 looks really skinny, what is the max diameter I should run?

What will I be looking at for new front rotors?

Thanks

Tim

My RS172 runs 195/50/15s (standard size) so I'd expect you could do those without too much issue. I know the Bridgestone RE11s & Toyo R888s come in that size - I did ponder with 205s, the tyre guy I went to recommended I stay on 15s when I told him I was wanting to replace the wheels.

Apparently these are the various tyre dimensions for the 206
MY99-MY01 185/55 R15V
MY01-MY04 205/45 R16Z
MY03-MY04 GTi180 205/40 R17W.
You could search all your life for who you are, or you could accept the simple truth:You are what you drive - said by Porsche, but I'd rather be a Renaultsport...

timbo 206gti

the car is an 1999. nothing happens in the trip comp what ever I press. Looks like it has been deactivated? I will try the tip with pressing the wipers.

k-trips

keen to buy 185 55 15's if you are going to sell them..

I have 195-50's and they just rub on bits of my BX gargh!! 185's could be poifeck!!
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]
Quote from: CaMYou can't motorboat a surfboard

timbo 206gti

Ok I will look at the brembo rotors and then look at the larger tyres. Will be aiming for a track day on the 25th of July.

Cool - this is one helpfull site!

cammmy

Quote from: CaM on June 28, 2010, 04:32:13 PM
or get brembo premiums from bnt for half the price.

You reckon speed are overpriced or BNT are just really cheap? BNT wanted quite a bit more than Toyota when I went for a clutch kit and cambelt
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S

Carpentry

Some Peugeots have problems with rubbing if the tyres are too wide; you can't run 205's on a 205 for example. 195/50/15 is pretty standard so I would recommend at least moving to those for a small improvement.
Perhaps you can swap your 185/55's for KK's 195/50's
Take it to Bishops

k-trips

Two of my tyres are not worth swapping as the tread is minimal on the outside edge of each.
The two with good tread are a bit hard in the rubber but a good fang round a track should soften them up..

I will gladly swap the 2 of my 195's with good tread towards the cost of 4 of purchasing your 185's.... (my 2 good 195's are worth no more than $30 each which is what I paid a month ago for them)

[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]
Quote from: CaMYou can't motorboat a surfboard

timbo 206gti

my tyres are from tyre works in grey lynn and cost $55 bucks each last week. Will prob use them at the track tyres then go for the bigger 195's  as they are all balanced etc.