• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

New 205 owner

Started by NZGREG, July 14, 2010, 04:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZGREG

So this is an intro and my first post. I purchased an 89 205 gti a few months back, I love the car but it has its issues (no surprise there right). It is like driving a go kart to work everyday but you guys know that already!

The most apparent issue at the moment is the heater not working, I have changed the fan unit over but still no joy, The fan now blows hard out or not at all (90% of the time not at all) and the fan control on the dash does nothing.

I have read online that there is a resistor behind the dash control that can cause this?

Any help would be appreciated as I am freezing my ass off driving to work! Will post some pics as soon as possible.

Greg

Goat

Welcome aboard. Where are you based?

Yea, 205 heaters suck. hah

NZGREG

Thanks glad to be a member

I am in Christchurch hence the freezing my ass off on the way to work comment, if I drive fast enough heat does blow through and defrost the windscreen, not that I need a reason to drive fast but it's an excuse that seems to work on my wife as we corner at high speed ;D

danandrew_

Another ch ch 205 were really getting up there in numbers! Welcome mate
Take the long way home you'll enjoy the drive!

Zealot

It's a transistor rather than resistor - a dirty great TO3 package BJT.

If you have a multimeter, do a diode test on the pins to check it's working: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/3.html for more details (first result on google, looks right though).

The base in this case is the small pin offset from the massive ones which go through thick tracks.

NZGREG

Thanks for the info, I will check it out and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the welcome danandrew.
I am also wondering if a Christchurch member can recommend a local mechanic, not sure who to take the 205 to and I will need a cam belt done in the next 10k.

Thanks again

CaM

there was a guy on here for a while that has a garage in chch. I'm sure one of the guys wil have his number.

welcome aboard! no heaters in cars is dumb.
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

cammmy

Flick me a PM if you want to get hold of James (dude Cam is talking about)
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

BigPete

NZGREG

Thanks for the recommendations regarding mechanics! nothing worse than getting shafted by a dodgy garage.