• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Nouveau personne

Started by 88mph, March 14, 2012, 03:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sexyBerlingo

heh yeh wifes sister thought 306 was a holden and also that her friends 206 was also a holden

Esprit

Hi Paul!

I know this car very well! And I know who you are too ;)

I convinced Kel to buy the GTi6 back in '06 I think, after she mentioned she liked 306s. I loved driving your car, it's a very good one! I tried to convince Kel to sell it to me a few times but she liked it too much. In the end I relented and bought my own '6, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as yours, although it drives very similar.

If there's any help you need with the car, let me know. I'm quite attached to it and have very fond memories of it.

George.

PS. Here's a couple of pics of your car from '06-'07 :)

And my current steed "Ondule Cerise"

'99 306 GTi6
'01 Exige S1

llama

Ah I wondered who owned that car - I see it in the car park every day  (I work two buildings away form you ;))
omg 乱砍了由汉语 (^.^) 拥有

88mph

Quote from: Esprit on May 31, 2012, 10:46:14 AM
Hi Paul!

I know this car very well! And I know who you are too ;)

I convinced Kel to buy the GTi6 back in '06 I think, after she mentioned she liked 306s. I loved driving your car, it's a very good one! I tried to convince Kel to sell it to me a few times but she liked it too much. In the end I relented and bought my own '6, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as yours, although it drives very similar.

If there's any help you need with the car, let me know. I'm quite attached to it and have very fond memories of it.

George.

Hey George :)  Sorry for the late response, I just saw your reply now.  Damn, your 6 is VERY RED, that paint looks amazing!

The car's going well, to be honest I was initially hesitant to buy it off K, but like it more and more every day I drive it.  It doesn't have the most comfortable sitting position (I just can't find that sweet spot where the gear stick is close enough but the pedals are far enough away), and turning right sucks, but that engine is just fantastic, as are the suspension, chassis, and gearbox.  K chewed up the drivers seat material trying to remove the pilling that results from wear, so I have to get them re-covered (any suggestions? :) ), but other than that she's straight and true and oh so much fun. ~145Mm on the clock now, I'm expecting the top engine mount to get tired soon I guess. 

Any idea what the life expectancy on the suspension is?  It's not obviously tired but I imagine it's one of those 'frog (hah!) in a pot of water' scenarios where you don't realise it's slowly becoming suboptimal.

Anyway, cheers, I trust you're well etc :)

88mph

Quote from: llama on May 31, 2012, 01:27:30 PM
Ah I wondered who owned that car - I see it in the car park every day  (I work two buildings away form you ;))

Whereabouts do you work?  Say g'day if you see me :)  Seen the white 'Disaster-mobile' Charade we get to drive?  That thing is the scariest vehicle I've ever driven in the wet.. tyres like biscuits, one THOUSAND cc's of power.  Turning circle is awesome though - honestly, after coming from the '6, I could just drive that thing around and around hard-lock for hours, it's ridiculous :)  I'm considering driving it into something solid one day, to write it off and get the boss to buy (or lease) a car that I'm not embarrassed to drive.  I reckon the best use of it is to drive it fairly fast into the Plan-b building ;-)

Don't own a wee older Pug (305 maybe? 205? Can't remember now) do you?  Saw one in the carpark the other week, had never seen one up close before, it just looked like a whole lot of fun.

llama

Quote from: 88mph on August 02, 2012, 07:53:31 PM
Quote from: llama on May 31, 2012, 01:27:30 PM

Whereabouts do you work?  Say g'day if you see me :)  Seen the white 'Disaster-mobile' Charade we get to drive?  That thing is the scariest vehicle I've ever driven in the wet.. tyres like biscuits, one THOUSAND cc's of power.  Turning circle is awesome though - honestly, after coming from the '6, I could just drive that thing around and around hard-lock for hours, it's ridiculous :)  I'm considering driving it into something solid one day, to write it off and get the boss to buy (or lease) a car that I'm not embarrassed to drive.  I reckon the best use of it is to drive it fairly fast into the Plan-b building ;-)

Don't own a wee older Pug (305 maybe? 205? Can't remember now) do you?  Saw one in the carpark the other week, had never seen one up close before, it just looked like a whole lot of fun.

Yeah I own a Pug 205 GTi, dark green and currently missing most of its trim :D but mostly commute on my ZXR750 (it's usually parked over by Stormwater 360).  I work at Web Drive.

QuoteI reckon the best use of it is to drive it fairly fast into the Plan-b building ;-)

Lol  :)
omg 乱砍了由汉语 (^.^) 拥有

Esprit

Quote from: 88mph on August 02, 2012, 07:38:27 PM
Hey George :)  Sorry for the late response, I just saw your reply now.  Damn, your 6 is VERY RED, that paint looks amazing!

The car's going well, to be honest I was initially hesitant to buy it off K, but like it more and more every day I drive it.  It doesn't have the most comfortable sitting position (I just can't find that sweet spot where the gear stick is close enough but the pedals are far enough away), and turning right sucks, but that engine is just fantastic, as are the suspension, chassis, and gearbox.  K chewed up the drivers seat material trying to remove the pilling that results from wear, so I have to get them re-covered (any suggestions? :) ), but other than that she's straight and true and oh so much fun. ~145Mm on the clock now, I'm expecting the top engine mount to get tired soon I guess. 

Any idea what the life expectancy on the suspension is?  It's not obviously tired but I imagine it's one of those 'frog (hah!) in a pot of water' scenarios where you don't realise it's slowly becoming suboptimal.

Anyway, cheers, I trust you're well etc :)

Hi Paul!

Haha, my car is only very RED when it's cleaned and polished. It's usually so covered in road grime that it looks a lot more dusky! It's my daily driver so I intentionally keep it dirty, so that I don't worry about it so much! Usually has "le filth" scribed in the dirt on the hatch!

The GTi6s do really grow on you, I liked them when they were released and after living with your one when K had it, my fondness only grew for it. The driving position is typical of many French cars. Pretty much every French car I've driven is a bit similar in that regards.... you need long arms and short legs. You never truly get used to it, but you learn to live with it... like the right-hand turning circle! I don't think they hamper the enjoyment of the car, just make it a little more difficult to bond with at first.

Mine is now at 132,000km and my driver's seat is just about starting to wear through, so I think it's something that all the Phase 2.5s and 3s with the Alcantara do. They just don't wear that well. There's an auto-trimmer in Newton that I deal with who I might talk to about reupholstering the seat when it starts to bother me.

My engine mounts were making noise a while back, but then stopped. I've heard they're a bit problematic, but so far mine seems to be behaving itself. It's something to keep an eye on though.

My suspension still seems to be fairly tight and the damping well-controlled. I know the bushes can get a bit worn as well, but when checking the alignment on mine, it seems to be spot on factory specs every time so I think there's some life left in mine yet. I'd wager yours would be the same.

Would be more than happy to swap for a few days to give you a comparison, it'd be good to see the old moonstone beast again :)
'99 306 GTi6
'01 Exige S1