• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Possibly a new 406 coupe owner...

Started by mrduncthefunk, August 12, 2012, 01:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrduncthefunk

As said above, the motivation is mostly because it is a (relatively) high mileage engine, but also, I'm just fascinated with the idea. Ive always loved the 406 coupe, I always wanted one as my first car but of the few that were in auckland(and my price range), they sold really quickly, or were in terrible condition. My parents own a 2000 406 sedan, the basic 4 speed auto, but we've previously owned 2 307's and found them to be really solid cars.
I'm not enthusiastic about possibly losing my 3-series, but if push came to shove id rather have the 406.

BigPete

If it's been looked after, 234,000 is nothing. Save the money for fixing the suspension and electrics and engine mounts that are far more likely to be stuffed by then. Just had new shocks, a few bushes, and engine mounts put in my 188,000 km 406 and it's transformed it.

kiwibrick

My 6 has done 215k now, still going strong.
306 S16 6speed

MYRUSH

Quote from: BigPete on August 15, 2012, 07:04:50 PM
If it's been looked after, 234,000 is nothing. Save the money for fixing the suspension and electrics and engine mounts that are far more likely to be stuffed by then. Just had new shocks, a few bushes, and engine mounts put in my 188,000 km 406 and it's transformed it.

So true actually, can think up of a big list of little things that are wrong and/or will go wrong.
Pete, did you have a problem with your indicator like it randomly indicated left for a split second? Happened to me about every 2 weeks til I talk apart the indicator stalk and saw that the little metal ball where the connection is made has been worn down, swapped it with the high beam one and viola! it was back to normal.

On a side note, highly recommend these guys; http://www.gsfcarparts.com/ - Cheap, good (Combined shipping), fast, accurate, etc.
Just got a tensioner and idler pulley from them for $120 incl shipping.
Present:
Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Rallye S1
BMW M5 E60 V10
Pug 306 Cabrio 2.0

Past:
Pug 406 Sedan
2x Pug 406 V6 Sedan
Pug 406 V6 Coupe
Pug 205 GTi 1.9
4x Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Diesel

BigPete

Haven't had that problem *touch wood*. My fan shat itself and would only blow full bore all the time though ::)

I got Autolign to indent a set of Bilsteins, which worked out surprisingly economical. Took about three months though.

Stafford

Pete - did you get that blower problem fixed on your 406?  FYI I had the same problem with our Terrano - fan went either zero or 2 million revs a second with nothing in between.  It was just the blower motor resistor that was stuffed.  It was a really quick fix (even for me) on the Terrano.  Will depend on the location tho.
1993 309 GTi
1992 405 Mi16

BigPete

Yeah, I think it was that. Greg Kent had one so put it in when I was having some other stuff done.