• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

New to forum, 205GTI

Started by blv205gti, March 31, 2013, 11:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blv205gti

Hey, recently purchased a 205GTI from a friend, its in really rough shape but engine is still pretty sound, I come from a nissan/BMW background so know next to nothing about these cars.

Checking through trademe it seems the parts are pretty hard to come by too, the cars heater/blower doesn't work at all and it seems to like to short out the front windows too, any suggestions where to check first for the short?

Going to spend tomorrow cleaning the exterior/interior then I'll upload some pictures, apart from the electrical issue its a pretty awesome car to drive, surprised at how fast it feels. Its already stickered with fastfrogs (how I found the website), so I know it used to be a forum members car!

Biff Tannen

Hi welcome along, we had a thread on here about your car, some of the 205 owners on here will be able to help you out.. :)
Slogan: "Vous êtes mon soulmate".
Picture: Biff up to his balls in Pugmi!

2052NV

welcome mate! We have a pretty vast stock of parts amongst this forum so a ask and we may list..... As for your heater it will either be the heater fan its self or there its a control resistor card thing rite next to it (the most likely cause) they are both in the passenger foot well and very easy to access, just check weather the fan is getting good power etc and with the window just try swapping the switches around first then start getting gritty with wires

blv205gti

It hasn't been serviced in far too long, hahah the air filter is silicon'd on, I'm going to take it to my mechanic friend to get it all serviced up (he's worked on my parents 306xt since forever), gotta take her for a WoF and get a list of whats wrong then get it all fixed up, quite surprised at how ridiculously fast they are, my flatmate owns a GTR and I used to own a 300zx TT and to be honest this car is actually alot funner to drive, haven't even had a proper thrash in it yet since the tyres are all terrible brands and chirp going round corners in 4th...

Thanks for the advice on the heater/blowers! Its also using quite a bit of gas and idling pretty high so hopefully mech can sort that too, I bought it as something to get me too and from work in winter whilst I'm saving for a 964. (I bmx'd all last year but kept getting sick after being soaked every day)

Oh if anyone has a link to any threads the car was in, I'd really appreciate it, numberplate is XP9594 and has a wee french flag on the front of the hood. Its missing its fog lights how much do those usually go for ? (would love to buy a pair if anyone has them)
Also any tyre recommendations, its not going to be targa'd etc just daily'd to work and maybe the occasional piha run.

BigPete

Michelin Pilot Sport 3. Tyretech in Glenfield do them for reasonable $$$

blv205gti

Thanks for the prompt reply, I'll look into them then and thats super close to my work too which is awesome, I think it needs new brake pads too, any brand recommendations/what to get also?

Really appreciate the help!

2052NV

if you want good pads that will stand alot of fast driving and track stuff the go here

http://www.znoelli.co.nz/

otherwise for A to B just hit BNT or Repco

blv205gti

Awesome, asking around my friends and what not its just "you'll have trouble finding parts for that or you wont find brake pads in NZ you'll have to import", I'm really glad I joined this forum I've never had so much hate towards a car I've owned as I've cop'd with this one hahah!

Lucky I own the numberplate "YOUMAD" ;D cant wait to put it on this car

BigPete

Depending which brakes it has, it could be a good time to upgrade the calipers too...

blv205gti

Brakes are responsive and pretty amazing but just a bit of a squeal starting to happen occasionally,
I think I found a thread of the car:
http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,5232.0.html

I cant go to the link posted in there for  the sale of it (which probably has more details about whats been done to it etc) because I don't have 10 posts yet, arrrgh.

Its mentioned that its a CTI not a GTI? I got no idea haha.

Pee Dubbaya

Have a check of your brake wear then, both pads & rotors. If you post up some pics (here's how) we can help you with some options. Plug - I have spare big GTI calipers as I recently upgraded my 205 brakes.
Your car is a GTI, the CTI is the red convertible next to it in a couple of the photos.
Get posting then- you'll make it to 10 pretty quickly!

Oh, & welcome!  :D
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

blv205gti

Yeah I just checked wiki and stuff when I got home from work hahah!
I'm gunna get my mechanic friend to check her over pretty soon, I do car photography as a hobby so once I've cleaned her as much as I can and ironed out the dents the previous owner kicked all down the side of her =[

The interiors totally poked too, I dont think this car has ever been garaged in its life, anyone know of good replacement seats for them? I want recaro's but apparently they sit too high and the seat rail mod doesnt look like its going to be any fun, my current seats have a bit of play in them so accelerating feels more intense than it really is, hilarious but starting to get over it!

McSweatydoug01

far out this was my old car that i brought back from the queenstown. it has been around the block. hope it treats you well. i did heaps of work to get this pup going. glad to see its still going well  ;D
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are merely games. - Ernest Hemingway"
Current cars
Phase 1 405 Mi16 converted to xu10j4rs and be3/6
Cars of old
205 GTi xu10j4rs
205 gti phase 2. cheap track spec/309 GRD old lady spec/406 2.1td/405sr/205gti

blv205gti

Haha, it sure hasn't been treated nice, I'm going to get her all running again but in its current condition I dont think its worth doing up, especially if I'm saving for another car, targa'd but not maintained doesn't equal a happy pug :/

And oh god the wiring. I've never seen a fuse box emit a spark so bright the entire interior lights up, handy but blowing 40amp fuses aint cool.

blv205gti

Bit of an update, needing new coolant hoses but cant source them? anyone know where to get them? dipstick broken and started venting crank case pressure, spilling oil all over and down the back of the motor.

Also anyone have any spare rear brakes? mines the 1.9 which I thought had front and rear discs but the rear has drum brakes..which dont seem to be very good either, handbrake hardly does anything and wont hold on steep-ish slopes.

Will know what else she needs soon but at the moment its new dipstick, rear brakes, possibly coolant hoses, front CV's are pretty munted but have been quoted 1k each side to repair/replace if they can find the parts.. yikes.

Even still, for the time I've had her she's been amazing to learn manual in, even with a broken gearbox, I can't imagine how much fun one of these is thats in good nick, I've been driving her like there's an egg under the accelerator as I didn't want to thrash it and didnt know condition til I took to mechanic.

Hoping to get her wof'd and running for juuuust under 1500 so far, which is 600 more than I payed for the car but if it lasts 6 - 9 months thats all I need her for then will sell and get my 964!