• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Newbie, in Thailand, have 2001 406 ew10j4, rfr, won't start!!

Started by pugilist, March 26, 2014, 06:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pugilist

Hello to all in Kiwiland,
I've been living in Thailand for 30 years more, former Navigator (Marine Seismic) I bought my Peugeot 406 up here in 2002, I have previously had 3 404's which were brilliant cars and I believe the 406 is the best Peugeot since the 404, those who know Thailand know the extreme conditions and this 406 has been faultless up until 4 months ago when I had the motor taken out to replace the water pipe from the water pump serious leaks, changed the water pump, timing and aux belts and the spark plugs which had been in there since new
150000km. Put the car back together and it hasn't started since!! Turns over but not a hint of a spark. PP2000 showing no faults, replaced the crank sensor, new battery, reprogrammed the two keys, new plugs Marchal, fuses seem ok, BSI no faults, I had done some minor surgery on the BSI and replaced the micro aircon relay about 3 years ago. So thats about it, I do seem to have low pressure at the shrader valve, but this has been described as too much cranking? and Im not reading any fault at injector actuator test, I'm not hearing
any clicks though. Thanks.  If anyone has any thoughts on the matter
regards to you

MYRUSH

Have you done the coil actuator tests? Fuel pump working?
Also are you 101% sure that you have plugged everything back in when placing the motor back in?
Present:
Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Rallye S1
BMW M5 E60 V10
Pug 306 Cabrio 2.0

Past:
Pug 406 Sedan
2x Pug 406 V6 Sedan
Pug 406 V6 Coupe
Pug 205 GTi 1.9
4x Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Diesel

pugilist

Thanks Pug406,

Well I can't be sure, as far as I can see everything is in place, but a stretched or broken wire is a possibility, the mechanic I used broke both gas struts on the bonnet, and the mounting for the diagnostic socket, how he did this is unknown, this is Thailand!!!! But I have to say he is a really good  mechanic and is now on the verge of a nervous breakdown over this car. Interestingly his name is Mor rot???
I had a Ducati 860GTS in Australia which i bought quite cheap, it was only running on one cylinder and Brown Brothers who had replaced the wiring with a japanese loom assured me the stator was the problem, i didn't believe them and tried everything, new carbs, ignition booster, any way after a year I decided to put a new stator in which was expensive and involved splitting the engine, put it back together started it, still on one cylinder after a few months and I took it around the corner to a young guy restoring an old Benz ,  so with a box of beer we had a go at it, With the bike running, i was pulling wires out of the headlight and there was a double relay there, I pulled one wire off the relay and Barrroooom both cylinders sprang  to life! It was a faulty kill switch relay one side was permanently dead and these guys were racing mechanics! any way sorry for rattling on, I believe the Peugeot problem is similar in as far as being in front of my eyes , so I'm hoping you New Zealand guys with a long history of inventiveness might give me a clue. Long live  Lord Ernest Rutherford

Bennny

Welcome along.
Have you checked the ignition/injector relay by any
Chance? Does the fuel pump prime?
if that relays shot the fuel pump, spark plugs and injectors can
All be affected.

pugilist

replying to pug406 and Bennny
If you're talking about the double relay next to  gearbox ecu, It appears to be working, the fuel pump primes. The coil actuator test I can hear faint clicking but the injector test no noise although I used to hear it until the tank ran dry. Now half full`!
Do you think there could be an air lock in the delivery line or gunk?
Are there any suppliers of Peugeot parts in NZ that would ship to Thailand  I need a cam position sensor, maybe a double relay.
I had trouble with the double relay before, the cinch type connector comes adrift from the plug so it appears to be locked in but is only partially connected, no engine ecu, half auto gear box  various shorts and faults every where Scary

Thanks

Bennny

Gunk in the lines is a possiblity but you mentioned no
spark also. Pull the fuel line from the rail and see if squirts into a jar.
I assume its individual coil packs? Would be weird for all of them
To go at once. Which leads me back to that relay.
Check the plug on the relay and trace/check all the wires from the relay
To parts in question.
Hope that helps.

2052NV

Id agree with benny go back to the basics and make sure all the correct plugs are connected to the correct sensor etc with engine having been out this is a very likely cause.....

I'm speaking from experience as when I did my mi16 conversion into my 205 I had a very similar issue,  no spark at all and all components were brand new, I got to the point of doing individual wire tests from the ecu to every sensor etc and found that the plugs for the crank angle sensor and the throttle position switch were exactly the same and I had just plus them the wrong way round  ::)

Mungous

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

Bennny

He's mentioned having the keys reprogrammed so
that's a possibility?

MYRUSH

If the keys were the problem, he would get the immobiliser fault on the dashboard and MFD, which I assume he doesn't have.
Present:
Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Rallye S1
BMW M5 E60 V10
Pug 306 Cabrio 2.0

Past:
Pug 406 Sedan
2x Pug 406 V6 Sedan
Pug 406 V6 Coupe
Pug 205 GTi 1.9
4x Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Diesel

pugilist

Thanks for the replies
No it doesn't have an alarm/immobiliser
I have ordered a double relay 19207L fro the uk I did have problems with keys and reprogrammed them a few times
I believe you guys are very close to the problem, the sensor plugs mostly are colour coded and can only fit on one way
I'll continue following the wiring back to the plugs. I feel suspicious of the vehicle speed sensoron the transfer box, but I dont how important it is, if at all!

Bennny

If the pump goes and the relay clicks then at least half of it goes but
the other half may be in question.
I'm also thinking however that the wires from it could have
been damaged somewhere before coils. Or it could just be bad
Connection at the relay, or between there and coils. Have you checked
for fuel as yet?

VincenzoAI

I regretted ever selling my GTS but I had done many many km without much going wrong and eventually it was just shagged... so I eventually replaced it with a Citroen.  Still pine for it.  I don't remember ever splitting the engine to replace the stator though, just removing the left side cover.  Still I'm not a mechanic and it was many years ago so maybe what I replaced wasn't the stator..

Quote from: pugilist on March 27, 2014, 02:13:25 AM
Thanks Pug406,
I had a Ducati 860GTS in Australia which i bought quite cheap, it was only running on one cylinder and Brown Brothers who had replaced the wiring with a japanese loom assured me the stator was the problem, i didn't believe them and tried everything, new carbs, ignition booster, any way after a year I decided to put a new stator in which was expensive and involved splitting the engine, put it back together started it, still on one cylinder after a few months and I took it around the corner to a young guy restoring an old Benz ,  so with a box of beer we had a go at it, With the bike running, i was pulling wires out of the headlight and there was a double relay there, I pulled one wire off the relay and Barrroooom both cylinders sprang  to life! It was a faulty kill switch relay one side was permanently dead and these guys were racing mechanics! any way sorry for rattling on, I believe the Peugeot problem is similar in as far as being in front of my eyes , so I'm hoping you New Zealand guys with a long history of inventiveness might give me a clue. Long live  Lord Ernest Rutherford

casey1

Hi did you ever resolve the problem with the car?
if you ever looking for parts please let me know I travel between Thailand and New Zealand and happy to help you as i may be able.

I run a couple of 505 v6... and have had many other varieties in the past

Electricals are always the biggest bug bear with Peugeots... smallest guage wires and rubbish plastic plugs are a curse... heat does not help and you will have that plenty up there in Thailand

cheers k