• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

CLIO RS 172 RG

Started by WJW, July 17, 2014, 10:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WJW

Hi guys.  Only just found out about this website after 10 years of owning my modified Clio.  The Clio was modified by Renault Galerie* to produce their own enhanced performance version of this already quick car.
The enhancements include;
•   SUPERCHIP ECU upgrade
•   REMUS exhaust system
•   PIPERCROSS Viper induction system
•   Clio V6 rear spoiler
•   16" OZ wheels, which were later changed to SSA by me.
This engine package spreads the power more evenly across the range, making it more responsive and accessible.
Renault Galerie estimated that this took the engine from the standard 172bhp (124kW) to 190bhp (141kW). It looks much better than standard with the wheels & the wing and it is seriously fast.

[attachment deleted by admin]

RS

Welcome. Fantastic little car.

Would be great to see it a meet, drive etc.

2052NV

Wow cool. Im very sure ive seen this car heaps and have wondered why it is not on here!

How did you find out about our site?

WJW

Simply by Googling Clio RS.  I could have done with the contact back in February though. Warning: long story to follow. I have owned the car since new and was looking to move on to a newer version of the same thing.  But when you actually start looking at what is available you realise that the world has changed; turbos and autos or flappy-bloody-paddle gearboxes are everywhere.  I delight in throttle response and heel-toe driving so this came as a shock.  The new Clio is all that I hate and was underwhelming to drive.  I don't look for speed so much as control, and it seems as though that is fast disappearing.  I was pretty stunned to find that without me noticing New Zealand had become a population of auto preferring drivers, meaning that that was what most of the market supplied.  I tried the few manual hot hatches that I thought I could afford but they either had turbo lag or were gutless (Toyota 86).  Then I 'moved up' to the Megane RS but it just didn't do it for me.  Put it in Sport + and you get good throttle response but drop a few cogs on the motorway and you get lag.  Then I thought, why not put some money into the Clio that I have and give it a new lease of life.  Spent a lot of time talking to KTec in UK, go my parts list together and found someone I could trust to do all the work; throttle bodies, lsd, engine mounts, turret strengthening, shocks, ecu, brakes, etc.  Then the real cost of doing all that work became apparent; we were looking at $15K possibly and more likely $20K.  ALL STOP.  So I went back to testing more & more expensive cars till I found something that really tickled my fancy but I am still stunned that I am going to spend that much money.  So, yes, I was looking for like minded people to sell my Clio to when I came across your site.  Then I red the bit about not being able to post a sale straight away and I totally get it, so I simply loaded the details on and you never know, someone might see that and ask the question.  Long story short, it is for sale but I am going to miss it.

BigPete

WJW

Too late I am afraid guys.  The replacement is on its way.  Still, someone will wind up with a gem of a car when I sell the RS.

RS

Good luck with the sale. Have driven a few Clio's and they are fun, a real drivers car. Anyone who has owned one cant shut up about them  :)

BigPete

What's the replacement?

WJW

Not a fast frog I am afraid.  I have owned a few but now it is going to be a German machine - a BMW M135i ....... manual.

Mungous

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

RS

Quote from: WJW on July 18, 2014, 01:33:38 PM
Not a fast frog I am afraid.  I have owned a few but now it is going to be a German machine - a BMW M135i ....... manual.

Nice one. You get a good discount when you order one in Manual too! I test drove one a few months back, was great, albeit the 8-speed automatic... the dealer tried to talk me out of a manual, made me laugh.

I thought the new Golf R was more convincing package, the BMW was compromised and was not as sporty as I would have liked... also looked a bit.

WJW

I was the complete opposite with the Golf R.  The power kept on cutting out on my test drive (flappy-bloody-paddle) and it turns out that left foot braking is a no go; you cannot have your foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time as the ecu thinks you are driving through the back of your garage.  So I checked with VW NZ and sure enough it carries through to the manual as well, i.e. no heel-toe, no trail braking ... no fun.  Sure it goes OK in a straight line but I found the BMW more agile and that stonking great torque curve meant response that you simply will find hard to beat without spending a lot more.
Each to their own.  Will miss the noise of the Clio though.  The Remus system makes the best sound I could have hoped for.

RS

Each to their own is right, everyone drives differently.

Personally, I didn't feel the need to heal and toe, but I don't heal and toe unless I am driving something rev happy that needs to stay up the rev range.

Here is a good list of the current crop of hatches and where the experts rank them, I loved the Fiesta ST, would rate it up there, my money would go on the new Megane RS275 Trophy.

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/features/290242/best_hot_hatchbacks_top_ten.html

Mungous

Quote from: WJW on July 18, 2014, 02:14:57 PM...it turns out that left foot braking is a no go; you cannot have your foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time as the ecu thinks you are driving through the back of your garage.
My 308 does this as well - throws up an engine fault code and I have to turn the car off to reset it!

Apparently it is designed to work like an override in case your car gets a bad case of Toyota Accelerator - if the ECU gets told to stop and go simultaneously it assumes your gas pedal is broken/jammed. In a manual you always have a clutch pedal so it's no problem...
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

Douvrin

Welcome and a nice looking Clio. I probably can't afford it but just wondered how much you might want, come sale time? Feel free to PM me, if you prefer.