• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Yet another newbie...

Started by NoShoes, February 22, 2015, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mungous

SOHC XUs don't seem to suffer the oil surge problems as much as DOHC ones for some reason. The speculation is that the twin cam head retains too much oil and doesn't drain quickly enough, so the level in the sump drops and then the oil pump sucks air.

The later DOHC XUs have addressed the problem to some extent with enlarged drainage galleries in the head, and windage trays and baffles in the sump (the Mi is the worst for oil surge, and the GTi-6 the best). Heath is hoping the totally revised EW has the problem properly sorted!

The standard 205s in the 2kCup have had no oil surge issues I've heard about, but every standard XU9J4 does. Marc's 8v XSi should be fine, as long as he runs good oil and keeps the level up! Not sure about the oil control systems in the standard XU10J4, as found in the later 306 XSi.

The GTi-6 has been run in the NI (3-4 of them in fact) but they've now all disappeared. The Committee is still seemingly undecided about them, but that's where I'd go if/when Whitey explodes in flames.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

NoShoes

Cheers! To date i haven't noticed any issues - oil pressure and water temp don't seem to shift... although i'm not really looking at gauges mid corner.... perhaps its because an 8v xsi (or my driving) isn't anywhere fast enough to generate surge :o

Kent from the bbq committee initially said yes to a 6..... and 30mins later.... no, as he needed to check.... nothing buy crickets since.... starting to think they want an integra series..... :-)

rolly

A 6 should be allowed as they have been before. Especially since they haven't walked away at the front like the ek4 of Tysons did.

Building ANY car from parts is questionable, even more so when the cars are borderline 2k as the 6 is.
04 Clio RS - daily
03 Hirsch Saab 9-5 Sportcombi - family wagon
97 106 Gti - Current 2KCUP car - unknown quantity.
97 106 Gti - road car currently in bits after offering itself up as a sacrifice to the race car.