• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hello everyone - 96 306 1.8 heads..

Started by keefa, May 28, 2015, 01:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keefa

Hi All,

Newbie time,
Does anyone know if a 1988 205 GTI head 1600 will fit a 306 1.8 block?

cheers  Keith

MYRUSH

Hi Keith,

Welcome, an XU Master should really be answering this question instead of me. But im assuming you have an 8v 306 block? I think an XU5 and XU7 uses the same block, same rods, different pistons and crank. So it should fit, not sure whether or not you would have to do something in terms of pistons for valve clearance, etc.
Other people on here will know more and could answer with more info.
Is your original head MIA, cooked or something?

You don't happen to be looking at this, would you?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/other-accessories/auction-893410732.htm
Present:
Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Rallye S1
BMW M5 E60 V10
Pug 306 Cabrio 2.0

Past:
Pug 406 Sedan
2x Pug 406 V6 Sedan
Pug 406 V6 Coupe
Pug 205 GTi 1.9
4x Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Diesel

keefa

Ha ha,

yes caught in the act, yes thats the head I am looking at.
Judging on the age of it it is the same XU9 series head on the later 205 gti
I am confident the head will fit, its just what will it do the the compression  / clearances
And also what is the CCV of the compared to a standard XU7 head.

Yes my 1.8 has a broken head gasket, oil in water, running on three, lots of steam out the exhaust.

And since starting research on my repair project I get keener on learning more and modifying.....

I can see they are quite mad on it in the UK..

MYRUSH

Well judging by that auction, that head still needs some work done to it, and you will also have to spend large amounts of money making things fit, possibly new pistons, etc. If your old head isnt cracked, I would just replace the head gasket and chuck the original head back on, maybe give the head a decent skim.
A 16V XU7 only has an extra 10hp, so putting on the XU5 head might get you like +0-5hp if the valves are bigger than your current head, and you would have to weigh up if the cost will be worth it or not.
A more worthwhile modification might be to put a XU10J4R or RS in it, or perhaps buy a GTi to start off with.
If you after some cheap modifications, start off with a new exhaust and CAI, you would get the same if not more hp gains as you would from a bigger valved head.
Present:
Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Rallye S1
BMW M5 E60 V10
Pug 306 Cabrio 2.0

Past:
Pug 406 Sedan
2x Pug 406 V6 Sedan
Pug 406 V6 Coupe
Pug 205 GTi 1.9
4x Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Diesel

keefa

Thanks for those points,
I hadn't figured that the Airbox etc might not fit on the same.
As its a long way from 1988 to 1996, and my 306 cam might not fit in it along with other bits.

I was taken by the $200 price mainly,
I really need to get my head off first, before buying any bits.

here's hoping its just the gasket and no cracking...

K