• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hi all - A long time coming...

Started by MescaL, July 17, 2008, 03:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MescaL

Hey there all, been meaning to post for months and months but retardedly never got round to it =P, but as they say, better late than never.
Hi im Nick. I've always been into hot hatches and ever since reading evo's (and other magazines) glowing reviews of the 205 GTi i've been lusting after one for a while. Then at the start of this year when my old civic finally shat itself it was time to buy a new car, and i acquired Simon's restoration project japanese import (but XU9JA/Z minus cat converter, 130hp!) 205 GTi.
It's been awesome fun since, handles absolutely beautifully, the level of feedback and detail through the steering wheel is amazing. I'm at uni at the moment studying pharmacology, and work for hell pizza doing deliveries (fast Pizza!) around the back streets of Grey lynn, so it gets a lot of use, ~300kms+ every week. I've only been on open roads with it once so far on the way to Piha (a wicked drive!) because i've been so busy, so i'm keen to go for a lot more real driving.
I've had a few problems with it (as can be expected from a 20 year old french car =P), and its had semi-regular run ins to Greg Kent. But i see it as money well spent restoring such an awesome car. I don't have much mechanical knowledge, but i've learned a lot over the last few months, and keen to learn more with the help of my mate (who does mechanical engineering) and his appropriately equipped garage.
Aside from mechanical repairs (and numerous intermittent electrical faults =P), i havn't done much to it apart from replace the red "Peugeot 205" backplate on the boot with the typical grey/black design. The old one's sitting in my garage at the moment, so if anyone wants it they're welcome to have it for free.

Wanted: Anyone have a spare 205 GTi gearknob/steering wheel? :
http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,1563.0.html

Few problems i'm having at the moment posted in Tech :
Driver's lock/Central Locking - http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,1562.0.html

Poor Fuel Consumption (especially destroying me with regular driving for work) -
http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,1564.0.html

With the aid of separate sections, its not such a long post anymore! =D. Cheers for anyone who took the time to read this, and i appreciate any help/advice you can offer.
Nick.

BigPete

Welcome to the website. Wow, that was a long post - could be worth posting separate ones about each of the issues so we don't get lost.

Do you drive it to uni? Haven't seen it around. Hopefully mine will be on P4 next Monday if I get it fixed.

And yeah - you're fuel economy is pretty atrocious. I thought mine was bad - it gets 10L/100 km consistently around town (~200 miles between fills).

monnymc

wow, long post!

hows it going, wondered if you'd ever sign up on here  :P i see your car all the time around my GF's place (westmere), dropped in to hell pizza a couple of times to say what's up but you've been delivering pies. also saw you out at greg's one morning when i was picking up the 309.

fuel economy problem is probably due to you removing the fastfrogs sticker on the window  :(  but really, there's heaps of things that can happen to boost fuel consumption. i may even post some when i have a sec  :D

welcome!

mrc_1979

MescaL

monnymc - "fuel economy problem is probably due to you removing the fastfrogs sticker on the window" - hahaha awesome man, yea it was just a bit too big i felt, i had to explain the reason behind it every time i picked one of my mates up and numerous people on the street kept asking if it was for sale =P. But i'd be keen for a smaller one in the corner or something.
V8pete - I drive to uni quite a bit, but i'm up at the grafton medical campus so park in the domain usually. Yeah good idea, i'll edit the post and start new topics in the relevant sections. Because i didn't have any posts i couldn't get to the other sections first, so thought i'd just all lump it in one.

Izzyrally

Holy crap. I'm going to have to print that one out and take it on holiday. Welcome along to the land of fast.

Griffe

Yeah welcome along matey, next Thursday at your place for Pizza is it then?
It's a workup

Carpentry

G'day bud

I saw your fast at Simon's when i went over there one time, he was replacing the distributor seal or somesuch. That meant there were 3 x 205's in the driveway at one time! 8)
Take it to Bishops

monnymc

that driveway had several peugeot overloads aye  :P

405 srdt, 205 mi16, 205 gtbeard, 205 gtkevin, 309 mi16 at one point  :)