• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

New Member AND Car Problems

Started by mcur035, August 25, 2008, 06:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcur035

Hi,

Have just acquired an '88 205 GTi 1.6. Having bought it in Nelson on Thursday I made it halfway back and on the way across the Desert Road it cut out!
Got it running on 3 and then after cleaning out dizzy cap running well again all the way back to Auckland. There appeared to be oil getting into the dizzy cap and messing with the ignition. Any thoughts on source of oil? It seems to be coming from around the distributor region.
I am a total amateur and am looking forward to a few pearls of wisdom from the experienced users here!!

2052NV

isnt there a seal ( o-ring) where the camshaft exits the head that normaly stuffs out.

baswad will tell you the exact story

But WELCOME ALONG ANYWAY!

Howd you find out about the site?

PICS???

BigPete

I think it was the red one on TradeMe with PUG2O5 plates.

What do you do at Auckland uni?

mcur035

It is the red one from trademe. I just ran into the site browsing one day!

andyball1

welcome mate!!
now you must solemly swear to looka fter that car and do not put ricey rims on it or neons!! lol
very mint car from the looks of it!!
the french car the expensive girlfriend for the single male

mi309

there are two o'rings on the dizzy. one internal the other external. if there is heaps of oil in the cap and the rotor is covered in oil as well its most likely the internal one. if there is just a little bit at the bottom and seems to be seaping in it will be the external one that seals the back of the head

mcur035

Thanks for all the advice. Although I am admittedly young and foolish I share your distaste for the trappings of boyracer-dom! haha. Car is in great shape and will remain that way!

2052NV

Quote from: mcur035 on August 25, 2008, 10:05:53 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Although I am admittedly young and foolish I share your distaste for the trappings of boyracer-dom! haha. Car is in great shape and will remain that way!

woohoo

and yea wht mi309 sed. would it be worth just replacing both?

mcur035

How major is it to replace the seal inside the dizzy? Cheers

Zealot

mcur035

ahhh good question...still making my mind up. Right now im doing marketing, management, psychology and maori. Being a student is a pretty soft existence so its all good!!

BigPete

Should do mechanical engineering. I think there's about 5 UofA students on the forum but I've never seen any fast Peugeots in the carpark.

mcur035

I'm mathmatically dislexic haha. makes mechanical fairly difficult! The reason there are no fast peugeot's in the carpark is because most students would rather invest their meagre earnings in beer than in parking tickets!

Zealot

Wow. I completely did not see V8Pete's question. Way to ask the same q twice.  :-X