• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

new person with a 405

Started by awatt, September 21, 2008, 12:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awatt

Hi there,

About 3 months ago I bought myself a 1990 405 GR to get up the hills, since my mini and '96 starlet [dreadfully horrible car by the way] just didn't hack it. Anyway she has a dodgy carb (work in progress), this fault doesn't seem to be terribly uncommon with this model. Amazingly comfortable though. No claustrophobia here! My next car will either be a mi16 or a 406sw.

So where do people in NZ go to buy their Peugeot bits??

I have had trouble finding a 405 alloy center cap (14", 8-spoke), so any help in locating one of these would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
Current steed: '07 Citroen C4 HDi

CaM

for parts - shop around. the guys on here will point you in the right direction for anythin gyou should need though. I use a few places around New Zealand for bits. Pick a part is a great place for secondhand bits in wellington, also a few wreckers about.
\assuming yo're in wellingotn that is: the hills made me assume
those hubcaps are a pain, they always fall off!
those carbs are also a pain. so much troubles. if it's a solex then try and get the weber replacement as they're a ta dbetter

if you're not concerned about economy a member on here has a twin side-draught manifold which   believe he is interested in selling.
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

BigPete

What part of the country are you in? There is or was a 405 GR with blown head gasket at Pickapart Takanini recently.

Don Simon

Welcome fellow 40faster!

The best place for cheap bits is generally pikapart Aim to go first thing in the morning and you are usually ok. The ones in south Auckland can be entertaining.

As Cam says. The carb does have probs. Greg Kent is a good start with sorting out probs with that.
91 Peugeot 205 GTI MI-16
11 Ds3 Dsport HDI (Becky's)
97 Peugeot 306 Dturbo
1995 Citroen AX GT

CaM

lol you get some characters at pick a part.
We went mid friday just gone and the dole queue are constantly coming and going. I'd never go alone because some of the stares you get are frightening to say the least!
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

pug405boy

Yay! more 405's!! yeah carbs + 405 = bad.... I can still remember the look in Greg Kents eyes when he saw my old 405SR pulling up and stalling in his driveway again....arghhh...
One thing we did that really really helped was to replace the screws that hold the top of the carb on, as they tend to unscrew themselves and the top of the carb falls off and you stall half way thru the intersection.... >:(
Citroen BX19 TRS, Peugeot 405 GT-STi, Valiant Ranger, '69 Volvo 145 Estate

pug405boy

actually when i think about it, it was mostly LH corners when it stalled... If your ever in auckland, i have another carb i could sell you, it ran ok, and didnt stall, but the auto choke was a bit dodgy (apparently another common prob) and when you looked down the top when it was running, you could see fuel dripping in from somwhere might just need some new gaskets or something, not sure
Citroen BX19 TRS, Peugeot 405 GT-STi, Valiant Ranger, '69 Volvo 145 Estate