• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

A not so new, newbie, all the way from the UK

Started by dynofiend, September 27, 2008, 10:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynofiend

Hi there,

My name is Matt and I recently emmigrated from the UK to NZ. Living in Wellington at the moment, and picking up my first NZ based Frenchie next week. A lovely silver non sunroof 1.6 106 XSi.

Anyone thats visited the 106 Rallye Register site based in the UK may remember me from there. I have been a member and moderator of the Rallye Register for nearly 4 years, and was the membership secretary for a number of years too, attending almost all the local and national events in my various cars over the years.

My first car was a series 1 1.1 106 which ended up with 15" alloys and being slightly lowered, with bucket seats and harnesses.

My second car was a series 1 106 Rallye which I restored to original condition, but also used group N engine mounts and rose jointed gear linkages.

My third car was a series 1 106 XSi which had a 1.6 16v GTi engine fitted, and was highly modfied and used as a trackday car mainly but was also road legal. A list of modifications would probably take up a few pages of this forum :D

Whilst owning the XSi I also bought, and subsequently sold another series 1 106 Rallye, and my brother and girlfriend were both also persuaded to get 106s! You could say french cars run in the family! Ive also owned a BMW e36 328i sport (cant get them in NZ as far as I know) which had an lsd and a modified engine, and I currently also own a mk1 1.6 MX5 which is a brilliant car to drive.

Yeah, so, HI :D
Do you think that $400 is a reasonable price to be forced to pay for Euro style plates? If not, see this link and sign the petition! http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,2188.0.html

BigPete

HI

What are those mags on the red and white one called?

dynofiend

Do you think that $400 is a reasonable price to be forced to pay for Euro style plates? If not, see this link and sign the petition! http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,2188.0.html

BigPete

Mean. I saw some on an Alfa 33 yesterday and thought they suited it.

2052NV

wow awsom line up im super jelous about the 106 rallye's. probly one of the best looking fasts ever! and i want one  ;D

and yet more wellington members you guys really need to organise some get togethers and maybe soon a middle of the island meet up????

dynofiend

A middle island meet would be great for sure! Is there no such thing as a 'French Car Show' in NZ? We had one in the UK every year and it was a huge event! 106 Rallyes certainly are a fantastic car, however my 16v'd XSi completely anihalated almost everything else on track, got some majorly impressive scalps on track too (although I know its mostly down to driver experience) including a brand new Audi RS4, Mitsi Evo 6, BMW M3, Porsche Carrera 3&4. Most of the drivers of these cars appeared rather dissapointed when I told them I was running on road tyres, and had a 1.6l untuned NA engine :D

Ive also been lucky enough to drive a series of other French cars. Inluding doing a trackday in a 125KW 1.6 16v'd Rallye, with a limited slip diff and full roll cage. Here in NZ a very generous chap has let me drive a number of his cars, including a 205 XS with a few tasty mods, a 309 gti, a 106 GTi and a 205 GTi (1.9).

BigPete

2052NV

and the line up is in order ov winners (right to left)  ;D ;D

JUSS JOKES :D

auto bonnet mi is cooler than the 1.9 with a sticker on the grill

dynofiend

Well that sure looks like fun! Would it be possible to organise another one for this summer at all? I would be happy to help organise things. I was one of the organisers of the largest gathering of 106 Rallyes in the UK last year.

One or two non Rallyes spoiling the line up (including my own BMW hehe), but these three photos represented all the cars that came to the show. It was called 'Anniversarallye' and was celebrating the 10th birthday of the series 2 Rallye (as far as I know, there are no series 2 rallyes in NZ at all!), it was held at Aston Martins (now not so) secret test track!

The tracks long straight allowed the faster cars (my old Xsi included) to hit indicated speeds of 220kph! Although realisticly, taking theoretical gearbox limiters into account, it was more likely to be 205-210kph.

BigPete

Yeah, it will likely be an annual feature. Last year it was North of Auckland - perhaps this time now we've got more members out of Auckland we should run a poll for preferred location.

Marco

^ Taupo! Have a fast weekend with a track day   ;)

CaM

1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

2052NV

dynofiend

2052NV

manfiled isnt a bad idea looks like a good technicle track and probly cheeper than taupo  ::)