• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hello! newbie 306

Started by Pug_girl, October 20, 2008, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pug_girl

Hiya,

I just bought my first 306 a month or so ago- 2000 1.8 5spd, fresh import with 55k on the clock. I love it! Its no GTI, but it's a HUGE upgrade from the old 1300 Corolla lol.

I'm thinking of doing a few things to it (already took off the side badges ;D). Current plans are to find a standard rear spoiler, and maybe a set of nice wheels when I can scrape up the cash, and then might try to make it a bit faster  8).

Lookin forward to chatting with you all :)

Carpentry

Welcome along!

55k is pretty sweet, and manual for the win :D  Colour? 3 or 5 door?

Also, there's some 16 inch wheels from a 206 for sale on here somewhere

Forgot to ask, how did you find out about the site?
Take it to Bishops

Pug_girl

It's a silver 3 door :D

Here's a pic- he's called Ermie :D

OoOh 16's.. I'll see if I can find them!

I found this site through the eurosport? forum, which I found through Mr Google...  ::)

BigPete

I love those hubcaps - they look like 205 GTI alloys. :)

Pug_girl

QuoteThe 206 wheels might need spacers for the rear wheels (i know they do with the gti 180 wheels).
You've got an N5 shape 306, and if i remember correctly it's also a phase 3...
There isn't alot you can do to make it much faster... but handle better is fairly easy. Its just a matter of getting some of the gti-6 parts for it. i.e. the front brakes, rear torsion bar/anti-roll bar. Then the shocks and springs for the front.
The 1.8 is ment to be a very torque engine, and have great mid range power...

Wow- thanks for that info! That's my learning for the day LOL  What does the N5 stand for? I might not worry too much about increasing power and just make it look meaner :D

After driving my 306, I don't think I could go back to Japanese cars - drove my bf's carib tonight and it was (just quietly ;)) shitehouse! Ermie's got some quirks, e.g. squeaky brakes and a tempermental speedo- but it just makes driving a little bit more interesting :).

Don Simon

Welcome!!!

Nice car you have there.. love the later 306s  8)

Don't be afraid to ask anything about your new fast.

Simon
91 Peugeot 205 GTI MI-16
11 Ds3 Dsport HDI (Becky's)
97 Peugeot 306 Dturbo
1995 Citroen AX GT

CaM

choice car :)
what's the speedo do? wiggle around?

also squeaky brakes should be an easy fix.
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

Pug_girl

Thanks everyone for the compliments :D

The speedo drops to 0 every once in a while and then pops back to where it should be- sometimes it's only for a few seconds, other times it takes a bit long.  From doing some research I suspect it might be the sensor-haven't gotten round to having a good look for it though!

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about the squeaky brakes- it improved a little after I washed the car, so I think a wee clean and grease should solve that problem.

CaM

could be jsut glazed pads or something silly.
\and yeah sensor will be koozed. didn't realise it would be electronic speedo etc.
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

Carpentry

Quote from: Pug_girl on October 20, 2008, 07:10:49 PM

he's called Ermie :D

I found this site through the eurosport? forum, which I found through Mr Google...  ::)

Cool name. I just bought a Citroen BX that my lady has called Ophelia ::)

I found DRTDVL @ Peugeot Auckland who showed me Eurosport where I found V8pete who told me about this one. 
Take it to Bishops

BigPete

YEah, my 306 speedo did the same thing. The culprit was a $4-500 speedo sender which I bought from the local dealer. You could probably do a bit better shopping around. Also, it's only a one bolt job just so you're not fleeced with labour charges. Easy enough to do yourself anyway.

Pug_girl

QuoteCool name. I just bought a Citroen BX that my lady has called Ophelia

OOooo I like the name Ophelia! Ermie's short for Ermiss- he named himself ;D

QuoteYEah, my 306 speedo did the same thing. The culprit was a $4-500 speedo sender which I bought from the local dealer. You could probably do a bit better shopping around. Also, it's only a one bolt job just so you're not fleeced with labour charges. Easy enough to do yourself anyway.

Cheers for that v8Pete- did you find it got worse over time? Since it doesnt happen very often I'm tempted to just leave it for now  :-\

QuoteIf you want the car looked at by a mechanic - i'd recommend Greg Kent Automotive on the shore.

Hm.. might be a bit far to drive!  ;)  Any recommendations for mechanics/parts dealers in Christchurch?

BigPete

Yeah, it started getting quite bad. I've got a WOF in the 205 with the speedo cable unplugged though, so you should be alright.

There's
http://www.lionspares.co.nz/ and http://www.speed.co.nz/ for genuine spares

Go see Neil Stuart Automotive for big, dirty jobs :D

Pug_girl

Esprit

Heath's right, that's a Phase 3 (last facelift) 306.... the best kind IMO (crystal headlight, flush fitting windows, nicer looking interior, body-coloured trim etc.) .... BADLY want a Phase-3 GTi (GTi6) someday... my ex gf had one and I loved stealing it when I could.
'99 306 GTi6
'01 Exige S1