• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Afternoon Ladies

Started by ciccio, October 31, 2008, 05:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciccio

well i have just bought myself a little 106 XSI, the one Ripraa had.
going to make quite a few changes to her while i own it, not too sure on which way to go engine wise though, what suggestions do peope have for extracting that little bit more power?
I'm not going down the major route of engine cnoversions etc but extracting a few mroe ponies would be nice.

I have a mate who sets up targa cars for suspension so he will prob have the car over christmas, ready to go out for some summer circuit fun in the New Year.

i'll post up pics as i go along, anyone wanting to lend some advice on engine work etc will be appreciated

badbui

Dynofiend is the man to talk to about xsi's.
It's a bit hard modding these cars in NZ...parts availability is nil.
get on the 106rallyeregister forums...tons of good info there.
Easiest mods are pugsport grp n exhaust and raceland 4-2-1 exhaust mani...shipping them here will cost big bucks. I paid through the nose for shipping but they make a nice improvement in power delivery and an even nicer noise.
Anyway yeah...dyno's the man to chat to.

dynofiend

Hi there :)

Not a great deal that can be done to a 1.4 XSi engine to increase the power. The port and polish and head skim suggested wont really acheive anything as the heads flow extremely well as standard. If its a catalytic model, then getting a decat pipe might help. An enclosed air filter is an option, although expect more of a noise increase than a power increase ;) The standard 106 cast exhaust manifolds are also very well designed utilising a 4-2-1 design using internal baffles. Although a tubular aftermarket one definately has benefits if you can absorb the cost :D

Your best bet for that little extra speed, is reducing weight. Remove the spare wheel, half fill the fuel tank, try stripping out the rear seats (only a few bolts), now go for a drive and notice the difference it makes!

A great mod for the 106 is a set of polyeurathane suspension bushes, and harder engine mounts. It might make the car a little more raucous, but the difference it makes to the feel of the car is massive. My old XSi was pretty heavily modified, including having a 1.6 16v engine, so Ive got a fair bit of experience with these great cars :D

My old one

This is my current one :)
Do you think that $400 is a reasonable price to be forced to pay for Euro style plates? If not, see this link and sign the petition! http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,2188.0.html

BigPete

badbui

Quote from: DRTDVL on November 01, 2008, 04:10:54 PM
Quote from: dynofiend on November 01, 2008, 04:06:03 PM
Not a great deal that can be done to a 1.4 XSi engine to increase the power. The port and polish and head skim suggested wont really acheive anything as the heads flow extremely well as standard.

It made a rather notable differance in my 205 gt, and i was under the impression that they ran the same engine...

Gt runs the tu3s..much shitter that the 1.4 xsi head.

ciccio

Cheers Dynofiend,
I've been doing a bit of work today on her, little things, more cosmetic than anything else.
I've started a thread with it in.
More prgoress will happen after Christmas when money frees up more!

2052NV

Id recomend polly bushes any day. done it to my 205 and it made the ride a bit harsher but holy dam does it handle well. i also opted for the soid rear beam mount kit and i think that help alot with lift off over steer it is much more progressive now  ::)

http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,256.165.html

dynofiend

The 205 has alot more lift off oversteer than the 106 as standard. Solid rear beam mounts would be good on a 106 if you were only going to use it on track, but for a car youll be using for fun drives out, you want that little bit of throttle adjustability that either standard rear beam mounts, or poly bushed rear beam mounts give you, just to tuck the nose in if you come into a corner a bit too hot  :D
Do you think that $400 is a reasonable price to be forced to pay for Euro style plates? If not, see this link and sign the petition! http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,2188.0.html