• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

306 S16 engine rebuild

Started by dingo11, December 12, 2008, 02:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingo11

Hi everyone, I am looking at buying either a GTI or a S16, a lot on the market seem to be getting up in KMs. What should I budget for a rebuilt engine with all the normal stuff i.e. ground crank and cam, rings bearings, pumps, head etc. Your help would be great, is the S16 the same as the GTI if not what is the differences?

monnymc

if you are talking about 306'es, the s16 has a 5 speed box (well, most of them do) and the GTI-6 has a 6 speed. rebuilding isn't cheap, if you get a mechanic to do it for you it'll be in the thousands (well, mine was  :))

worth it but, they're awesome engines  :P

also, welcome to fastfrogs  8)

might be good if you post a more detailed topic in the peugeot tech section too

dingo11

I am quite capable of taking the engine out and puting it back, but haven't got the gear for the rebuild and probably best left to people more clever than me. I know that it depends how they have been serviced etc but how many KMs before we are into hand granade?

monnymc

yeah, getting it out and back in is the easy bit  :D

they're pretty robust engines, i think they'd be good for well in excess of 200,000km before they're really screwed

designer music

Quote from: DRTDVL on December 12, 2008, 03:15:22 PM
only other thing thats needed to be done is... and harmonic balancer....

... so i just found out!  :(

Zealot

Budget $5k for any engine work at all. Mine currently has cost me ~$4k probably but I'm doing the assembly (new pistons and whatnot though).

However that is a full overhaul