• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hi

Started by froglegs, February 06, 2009, 10:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froglegs

Hi guys and girls
Just stumbled across this site and looks good.
Am currently looking at a 306 gti6 or s16, Im sure there will be some great help and advice from this site!

Cheers

pugMi

welcome, welcome. 306's are almost as cool as 405's   ;)

IzzyRally

Welcome to all things fast.

Dusty Knows what i think of S16's. I'd go GTi6 if you can get your hands on a nz new one with a service history.

froglegs

Is there much difference between the s16 and the git6? I was under the impression that they were the same car, just one was NZ new and the other an import?
Please correct me if I'm wrong. Apart from the gti6 being NZ new, is there anything else that makes them more desirable than a s16?

pug405boy

Isn't a GTI6 a 6 speed gearbox with the 16v engine, and the S16 is just the 16v engine and plain 5 speed?
Or some variation there of....
Citroen BX19 TRS, Peugeot 405 GT-STi, Valiant Ranger, '69 Volvo 145 Estate

froglegs

Okay thanks for that. Were there also some higher spec s16's with the 6spd box? There's a couple of s16s in trademe with the 6spd box.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Peugeot/306/auction-199415115.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Peugeot/306/auction-184807121.htm

IzzyRally

The main difference is the engine management and intake. The S16 has a plastic intake manifold with flaps that change the intake length to try and make a flat torque curve

They give a few problems, the flap actuators (vacuum pods) commonly brake and the vacuum control can give issues.

The GTI6 has a nice "normal" alloy intake manifold. With none of the above issues. Its just one less thing to worry about.

You also that wonderful  throaty induction noise epically if you fit a Pod filter.  Turning circle can be annoying but nothing you can't drive around by yanking up the handbrake, that's how I get them on the hoist .

Wilski

Hi guys. I have a 306 Gti-6 and to be honest it is by far the best pug i have owned, the power is great and the handling is amazing ... The turning circle (turning right) can be a bit annoying due to the six speed gearbox but apart from that i love the car .... i had a 205 Gti and a 106 Xsi before buying this one... Good to try and find a NZ new one with a good history .... I bought mine last year ... full service history (all documented) 1998, 118,000 kms excellent condition for 7k. Alot of car for not alot of coin :) If you want anymore infor just holler :) cheers Paul
1998 306 GTi-6