• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Gidday, Im Rowan

Started by 309gti mk1, April 17, 2009, 11:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

309gti mk1

Hi im Rowan, i have a 1990(mk1) 309gti 8v. brilliant car, you find yourself speeding up for corners. unfornunately previous owner didnt give it the required care, so have quite abit of work to do get it runnin primo. Needs rebuilt brakes, cam belt, boot struts and the engine wiring is sum of the worst ive seen, loose wire all over the show. and its abit no much car for me and i learn the hard way about going reasonable fast around twisty mountain roads and rammed a bx turbo diesel(which came out with out a scratch), so had abit of front end damage

309gti mk1

This is My Beast of a 309, like i say needs abit of work but itll get there

309gti mk1

Hi im new member have a 90 309gti mk1 manual 8v, and live in nelson. in the future looking at getting a 405mi16 4x4 or a 205gti 1.9 or if i win lotto a 407 coupe HDI

Griffe

Hi Rowan,

Welcome to our site of fasts...good choice of car you have, there are a few of members with 309's on here, if you need any help or advice on your car then don't be afraid to ask away.  You may even find the answers using the search tab as most common FAQ's have already been answered previously.

In general we talk alot of crap on here about everything (see the Newsflash section) and make up alot of words that don't make sense at first, but we are all a helpful bunch that all have a passion for the same cars.  Everyone's input/experiences on cars is always welcome so don't be afraid to put your 2c in!
It's a workup

309munkey

Good to see you made it Rowan...   Steve  of Waipuk.

mrc_1979

Welcome along mate. I used to have an 89 309 GTi before someone kindly wrote it off for me  :-\  Now I have an 89 205 GTi  :)
From my experience I actually found the 309 to be both a more comfortable and better handling ride (longer wheelbase, wider track, slightly different suspension setup). Also, they are probably more unlikely to have been thrashed than their 205 equivalent lol.
Was that the one that was on trademe like,  forever.... lol

BigPete

Of all the things you could've hit :o

Griffe

I thought exactly the same thing!
It's a workup

Goat

Poor BX, hah

The more Fasts the merrier!!!! Greetings

309gti mk1

Yeah it was the one that was on trademe for ever. just a quick question, are 30gti's supost to have super heavy steerin or is it just me

BigPete

Does it have powersteering? Also, check tyre pressures with a trustworthy gauge.

309gti mk1

Apparently it does, but you wouldnt know it :D. nah it has a power steering fluid tank, manual says its power steering, guy atpug dealer says it has power stering. lets just say you get a full upper body work ou driving around town, but at speed the steerin is great. its a hell ova lot better than this forester im drivin at the mo   

309munkey

I took the power steer off mine and it feels great. Even around town aint bad. I imagine if your PAS was not working the ram on the rack would make it hard work.   Let me know if you need parts they are still in a box or the method required to remove completely.  less junk under the bonnet...  some have warned that it can fail a WOF if its removed but I didn't have any problem as it looked as if it never had it.  NICE.