• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

In the market

Started by Pee Dubbaya, July 16, 2009, 10:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pee Dubbaya

Hi all I'm Kyle, 23 and currently residing in Auckland.
I've been a fan of "hot hatches" for a while now but have always bought more practical cars, so I reckon it's about time that I rectify this! I've been trolling through trademe looking for potential, I want to buy the Renault 5 Turbo- but that's just a little out of my price range.
Older cars more in my range on trademe are a '91 Peugeot 205GTI (1.9L) that needs a new gearbox and a little other work or a '94 Peugeot 106 rallye c sport (does someone on this forum own either of these, or know about them?). Also there is a '87 Fiat Uno Turbo- yes I know it's not a Frenchy but it also has appeal. I also rather fancy a Mk2 GTI Golf (the non-facelift model with 4 round headlights).
Looking a bit newer I like the Clio Renault Sport 172, and maybe the Mk3 GTI Polo or FIAT Punto Mk2 (facelift) also.
I haven't mentioned the many Peugeot 206 S16 GTi's that seem to be around. It just seems like they're a bit "soft" and everyone seems to have one- is this just my impression or are they something I should consider?

OK hopefully that's given you a bit of an idea what I'm looking for. I don't care about either practicality or comfort (Renault 5 Turbo or Clio V6 would be perfect if I could afford one!), and I don't mind getting a car with a bit of work needed (as long as sourcing parts etc isn't too hard/expensive). However I do want a reasonably reliable and ultimately fun to drive small car with a bit of "personality" to boot. Any and all suggestions, advice etc are most welcome. If I do buy a Frenchy I will definitely be keen to get involved with learning more from those on this forum.

Cheers

Kyle
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

Pee Dubbaya

Very nice looking machine. What specs? How much do you want for it?
Still very much undecided as to what I really want at this stage but hoping to decide through gleaning info on here.
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

red16v

GO the 106 Rallye.Please. And welcome along.
The only thing better than one 16v: TWO 16vs...and a V6

1991 Red/Black BX 16v Phase1 D6C-projected into house.bugger
1991 Red BX 16v Phase2 D6C- restored
1998 Silver Xantia V6-family rocket

aerorobnz

Quote from: Renick on July 16, 2009, 10:29:44 PM

(as long as sourcing parts etc isn't too hard/expensive).

In that case an RS 172 is probably not for you - I've had no issues with reliability but just replacement of wearable parts can be expensive due to not many of them being sold new here. Renault don't stock a lot of the parts they have to order them...
You could search all your life for who you are, or you could accept the simple truth:You are what you drive - said by Porsche, but I'd rather be a Renaultsport...

2052NV

PLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZ BUY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Peugeot/auction-229572846.htm

its mint its a future clasic with good history. and the price will only go up. i would buy it if i could afford it  :'(

ill come have a look at it with you if you like!

MescaL

My mate wrote an article for classic car recently on 106's, and this guy Don wrote a letter in saying he appreciated it, and would love for him to come check out his cars. So he ended up driving his 106 rallye and a 106xsi (i think) done up as a targa race car. Was so blown away by the drive hes now getting his Datsun 1600 ready to sell and keen to buy matt's 106 rallye, hopefully it pans out for my sake hah =D.

SaxoVTS

IMHO, go for a Pug 106. I've owned a bunch of Frenchies and have found that Renault parts prices are pretty scary - worse than CCS charges me for my old 911. I'm not that impressed by the build quality either, shame as the Clio 172 I had and the current Scenic are both otherwise great cars. My wife never really forgave me for selling her much loved 106 GTi and replacing it with a Boxster. So I hunted for another, couldn't find one, but bought the nearly identical Citroen Saxo VTS, which she loves as much. Go for the 106 man -simple, cheapish to fix and a WHOLE HEAP OF FUN.

ficza

i THINK  that 106 is a bit too expensive

Apex

106 Rally's are cool. Also, Nissan Sentra Cup cars are cool.

Renault prices are ridiculous. Their cars are worth it though.