• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

106/306/205 n00b

Started by Aidonia, August 02, 2009, 02:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aidonia

Hi all.

Another newbie from Auckland here. I don't have one yet but have always loved the 205s ,106s and 306s, and am finally on the hunt for one a bit more seriously now. I can't actually make my mind up as to which model is my preference, I love them all for different reasons so I'm keeping an eye out for anything.

I recently returned from 5 years or so overseas, during which I barely even stepped in a car, otherwise I would have bought a pug long ago! Luckily Auckland's public transport system is dire and I can look forward to  driving again!

I came across fastfrogs.co.nz from a trademe listing, looks like a helpful place! Hope there's room for a n00b owner-to-be.

Cheers.

CaM

309gti come into the mix at all?
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

2052NV

hek yea theres room for new ppl!

umm all those cars are good cars (im assuming you want the gti/xsi/gti-6 versions of each of those models). my advice would be just wait till you find a good example of which ever car you want. especially with french car as they can cost lots if they havnt been looked after. even if it means spending a bit of extra cash. with 205's you want to get a euro spec one not a jap import as the japs have lower compression engines. 106 and 306 dnt have this problem tho (correct me if im wrong plz someone). STAY AWAY FRM ALL AUTO'S for 2 reasons. 1. autos in general are a crime for a fast car and 2. french ones are renowend for all the wrong resons  ::).

and if you are keen on a car and want to go have a look just giv us a pm and id be happy to come have a look with you.  ;D

oh and ask heps of questions on here because there is a welth of knowledge floating around this site

Aidonia

Cheers fellas.

Sound advice 2052NV. Yeah, the gti/xsi's naturally, and definitely a manual.

Cam- actually the 309 not so much. I like 'em, just not as much as the 205/106/306s hatches.

DRTDVL - 4k's is as high as I want to go at this stage. I'm sure I'll get the bug and want to drop a bunch more enevitably, but that's my seed fund.

Carpentry

Welcome  :)

You could get a pretty mean 106 xsi or 205 gti for that kind of wedge. There tend to be 'seasons' of 205's on trademe and that, for a while there'll be none and then all of a sudden there'll be about 5 at once. Usually just after you've bought one ::)

Others might agree that 4k is at the top end of the price range, especially for 205gti/106xsi.

happy hunting

Take it to Bishops

CaM

perfect budget for Bullit's silver 106xsi. beautiful car that needs nothing doing to it.
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

Aidonia

That's the silver one on trademe right now with the yellow light lenses? Looks like a nice example but I'd like to buy locally, in AK.
I am pretty keen on the 106s though, and have heard many people sing their praises. As much as I love 205s, I'm thinking I should have gotten in on the act several years ago. A lot of them seem like they are getting a bit long in the tooth now. Would you lot agree?

mrc_1979

$1200 1994 106gti in Aucks.......looks mint!   :)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Peugeot/106/auction-233984265.htm

"Car has engine damage, idles but sounds very rough. Unclear as what is wrong but have no money for repairs. Has been a great car for the last 3 years that i have owned it, sad to see it go. Body and interior are in perfect condition, has been garaged by me and previous owner. New water pump and thermostat as of 6 months and reworked clutch as of one year. Perfect for someone with mechanical knowledge or as a parts car!"

CaM

not necessarily. sister's got a reasonably neglected one that's got 210k on the clock (has spent a while with no speedo too) that's pretty sweet. I believe gearboxes are a weak point on them but aside of that and the normal paint problems that all peugeots can be susceptible to, they're a very solid car.

bullits car is that one with the yellow driving lights. if you want more opinions on the car then i have no quams looking it over without bias for you, and badbui is a prior owner of the car whom can give you insight into it, if you were interested in it but unkeen on travelling to see a car without being semi-sold on it.

these cars are all getting older, although 106s are perhaps a better option than a 205 for some, there's still a few years under their belts anyway. even buying new doesn't mean you're going to have a trouble free run. I have less problems out of my aged fleet than work has with new vehciles
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

2052NV

yea the silver xsi is frm wht ive seen a good car! buy that one!  ;D

mattt

Had a 205GTi & a 106 clubsport.  106 had less midrange grunt but was much more fun, revvy & chuckable.  Recommend either but I suspect a 106 XSi would be the ideal balance on budget, fun & everyday reliability.

Have fun with whatever you settle on.
Peugeot 106 rallye clubsport (gone to a good home)
Mk5 VW Golf R32

Pee Dubbaya

Hi Matt I'm loving your old 106- brilliant fun 100% of the time. Hope you're not missing it too badly!
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

Esprit

Definitely recommend Bullit's 106 XSi... knowing Paul he'd happily bring it up to Auckland for you :)
'99 306 GTi6
'01 Exige S1

Aidonia

Cheers guys.

Looks like Bullits met reserve and sold already. Cam- cheers for the offer.

mrc_1979 - Mint model for sure, but i think that one in particular looked a little less than mint with a crunched bonnet and engine damage :)

I'm more interested in buying a well kept example 'off the shelf' to be honest as opposed to a doer-upper. I love to DIY anything and everything, but I don't really have the time for a "project" car at the moment.

Aidonia

Oh it's no longer listed. Was that the blue one mrc or am I getting mixed up?