• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Another Newbie

Started by andy2970, September 22, 2009, 07:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy2970

Hi my names Andy and I live in christchurch.

I've just got my first peugeot, A '89 205GTi running a 309gti motor, in black, its done 161k's and is in great condition, not bad considering i swaped it for a $600 triumph tc 2000 is less than average condition.

The 205 smokes badly from the exhaust, I've been told its the valve stem seals, I have a spare motor which i've been told is good but don't no for sure. so my question is: Is it easier to replace the motor or the stem seals?

Will upload photo's soon.

Any advice will be apriciated.
'89 205 gti
'88 VW Porrera No:1 Resto project Slowly, but surely

Carpentry

Hi Andy, welcome along :D

I think, and some others may agree, that replacing the stem seals will be the easier option. I've never done it myself so I'm not sure exactly what is involved, but I have swapped an engine which is a lot of work.
There's plenty of mechanics on here that will point you in the right direction.

Also, who did you buy it from? Was it a guy with an accent called Colin?

Enjoy the 205, they're pretty darn cool
Take it to Bishops

Apex

Welcome to FF, im sure you will find tons of invaluable information and maybe a new outlook on life.

Good to see another 205GTI on here, bump up the numbers. They really are the French E30   :P

Carpentry

I had to mod this, it was getting away on us :-X
Take it to Bishops

Goat

Well-coam.

Valve stems arn't that bad to replace. Count on about 200 for a gasket set. Plus 50ish for new head bolts. plus whatever it costs to get head checked and decked. I had them put the valve stems in too cos i couldn't be bothered doing it myself and it cost me 200. So 450 all up. There is alot of fiddly bolts and what not. But it is definitely easier than swapping engines. Service holes in wheel arch make it much easier to remove the engine mount from block and head. Well in the citroen anyway.

Also, triumphs are mean

oh, forgot cambelt, and it would be a crime not to do waterpump at the same time. so probably 500ish all up or a good solid weekend of frustration and hard work. Which may not even pay off if your donor motor is poked. Your choice though :P

Goat

K-Bar

Quote from: Flange on September 22, 2009, 03:10:45 PM
Well-coam.

Valve stems arn't that bad to replace. Count on about 200 for a gasket set. Plus 50ish for new head bolts. plus whatever it costs to get head checked and decked. I had them put the valve stems in too cos i couldn't be bothered doing it myself and it cost me 200. So 450 all up. There is alot of fiddly bolts and what not. But it is definitely easier than swapping engines. Service holes in wheel arch make it much easier to remove the engine mount from block and head. Well in the citroen anyway.

Also, triumphs are mean

oh, forgot cambelt, and it would be a crime not to do waterpump at the same time. so probably 500ish all up or a good solid weekend of frustration and hard work. Which may not even pay off if your donor motor is poked. Your choice though :P

i think he is pretty choice also

oh and yeah welcome!
C2 VTS
205 gti
Saxo VTS
AX GT

andy2970

Thanks for the advice, either away sounds like alot work. here are some photo's, sorry they are only trade me downloads but its a start. will work on some propers 1's soon.

'89 205 gti

Griffe

Nice work buddy, welcome along!

Well done on car choice too, definitely pull the head off and get the valve stem seals replaced, they are a relatively common fault on XU engines and although time consuming are cheapish to replace, hence why it's easier to fix your engine rather than fit another that may suffer the same problems, as flange said, you'll wanna replace your cambelt and waterpump while it's all apart otherwise you'll kick yourself when they leak!

How mechanically able are you?
It's a workup

Goat

Griffe

It's a workup

andy2970

Not the best but i get by, i'm more body work than motor. I'm building a VW porerra in my spear time. bloody rust.

A mechanic friend of min is going to do a compression and leak down test on it and get it to idle properlyand set the timing this weekend. just to make sure we are not floging a dead horse. also going to take it for a tune up run up the hills on friday night.
'89 205 gti