• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Looking for GTi's, VTS, what have you?

Started by Timotheus, December 09, 2009, 05:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timotheus

Another Newb for the ranks.  ::)
My name is Tim (yes, Timotheus is my real name - Dutch).
Im new to the forum but not fast frogs.

I bought my mother a 106 gti a few years back sold my toys, headed overseas, came back and got into 4wding.

Now that my wife and I are settling down (bought a cafe, and I got a real job) we need a daily that reflects our customers values and beliefs, not my old beat up CommonWhore.

I really like the 106. I have had some mind blowing experiences over the years in it. So now comes the hard part, finding another one.

I sat last night watching the 205gti over in Frans Josef tick upto $3770 thinking I could have done better with a local VTS (Citroen) I had my name sort of on. Turns out the owner is by no means as much of a hurry as I thought to sell it so I regret not bidding further.

Im not going to rush into anything on account of the failed plans here. But if some one has any thoughts or opinions on any of these...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Volkswagen/auction-257437206.htm (I know its not French...)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=254157459

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=259007119

... Id like to hear them.

Id prefer a 106 GTi over a VTS and (without having driven a 306 GTi-6 I cant be that certain) a 306, but like I said, Id like to know any thoughts you have.

Actually, who here can tell me more about a 306 GTi-6? I do like the shape a lot, and 125 odd kw does sound pretty nice in a 1000 odd kg car.

Tim.

Apex

Im slightly concerned that the Polo needs arrows on the seats to indicate what direction to sit in it Timotheus.

Im sure some GTI-6 owners will pipe up about how great they are soon...5, 4, 3, 2, 1..

aerorobnz

You could search all your life for who you are, or you could accept the simple truth:You are what you drive - said by Porsche, but I'd rather be a Renaultsport...

dangermouse

Buy that 1.6 106, that thing is awesome.
Where's your cafe?

Carpentry

Welcome Tim!

Both of those cars (I didn't look at the other one because it had 'Volkswagen' in the link) would be fine choices, especially the gold one as it has roof racks and better looking wheels.

Only heard good things about the GTI-6, never driven one.

Perhaps read this:
http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,3547.0.html

Happy hunting ;D
Take it to Bishops

BigPete

I think you're looking for Saxos but there's a 2000 Xsara VTS in the Citroen newsletter for $5500. Better looking than a 306 imo.

PM me for phone number if you're interested.

aerorobnz

Quote from: 16VPete on December 10, 2009, 06:38:54 PM
I think you're looking for Saxos but there's a 2000 Xsara VTS in the Citroen newsletter for $5500. Better looking than a 306 imo.

Wow cool car. How many kms??
You could search all your life for who you are, or you could accept the simple truth:You are what you drive - said by Porsche, but I'd rather be a Renaultsport...

BigPete

Timotheus

Quote from: aerorobnz on December 09, 2009, 06:42:53 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Peugeot/106/auction-259008773.htm That's the closest there is to a 106GTI at the moment...

Gone before I got a chance to look. (7pm Thursday) If its not top spec, (ie, gti...) Im not interested.

Quote from: Capt. Spaulding on December 09, 2009, 08:51:43 PM
106GTI's don't come up for sale very often. one FF member spent 6 months just searching for theirs. while they were waiting they drove an XSi......

you can read all about it here
http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,3538.html

the differences between the two models are highlighted also.

I had a read of Bullits write up. Got to the height issues and laughed... See below. Oh yeah, and I have been watching tardme intently since I found my mothers one. Ive seen what has been past and what for. I know of thier rariety.

Quote from: dangermouse on December 09, 2009, 08:58:03 PM
Buy that 1.6 106, that thing is awesome.
Where's your cafe?

Delicacy Cafe & Delicatessa, 595 Highgate, Dunedin.
Nice place. Its really my Wife Erin's project. She is loving the work, but boy does she have a lot to do.

Quote from: DRTDVL on December 09, 2009, 09:01:37 PM
how tall are you?

if your 6 foot or taller you will have problems in a saxo.

I couldn't turn the wheel as it jammed against my thighs... I'm 6'1 - 6'2 and 106kg... if you nice and skinny you might be ok...

The 106 might be ok if you can adjust the steering wheel... I think i fitted in behind the steering wheel on griffe's car...

How much are you looking to spend on a car?

I laughed when I got to this. Im 6,7 104kg. I have never been comfortable in a car until I bought the CommonWhore. Ive done a few long distance dashes in the 106 including a wet run to Haast. I found it fine. In fact I thought it was quite roomy... The VTS, I didnt get into. I just assumed from the fact it is a 106 with subtle differences that it would have the same seating layout.
Price? Well I can do cash 5k. Any more and I'd like to use the banks money, Im realistic about that and the price i will pay for a gti. But Finance is not an issue, we just dont want to use our money.

Got that Carpentry, read the write up last night. The roof rack would be off before I drove it away. Difference of opinion but I

Quote from: 16VPete on December 10, 2009, 06:38:54 PM

hate the things.

Yeah it was a Saxo. The Xsara, I looked at one a while ago. The look to represent good buying, but its not for me for looks.

BigPete

Quote from: Timotheus on December 10, 2009, 07:03:46 PM
hate the things.

Yeah it was a Saxo. The Xsara, I looked at one a while ago. The look to represent good buying, but its not for me for looks.
They're so 'fast' :D

Bullitt

Quote from: Timotheus on December 10, 2009, 07:03:46 PM

I laughed when I got to this. Im 6,7 104kg. I have never been comfortable in a car until I bought the CommonWhore. Ive done a few long distance dashes in the 106 including a wet run to Haast. I found it fine. In fact I thought it was quite roomy... The VTS, I didnt get into. I just assumed from the fact it is a 106 with subtle differences that it would have the same seating layout.
Price? Well I can do cash 5k. Any more and I'd like to use the banks money, Im realistic about that and the price i will pay for a gti. But Finance is not an issue, we just dont want to use our money.

Everything inside a VTS is different to a 106, different seats, dash steering wheel etc (guess the steering column and pedals are likely to be the same though).  Given your on the large side I wouldnt like to buy one on the assumption theyre the same without trying it.  Its likely theyre pretty close to the same for size though.

Youll be lucky to find a 106 GTi or a GTI-6 for 5 grand but an earlier 306 GTi/S16 or a VTS would be in that price.

I like how many people on here come on asking to buy a 106 GTi...must keep the price of mine up  ;D
106 GTi

zephyrheaven

buy my 309 so i can restore my 205

309 good leg room and its been to and thru dunedin a few times at speed

Timotheus

Quote from: Bullitt on December 10, 2009, 07:15:16 PM
Everything inside a VTS is different to a 106, different seats, dash steering wheel etc (guess the steering column and pedals are likely to be the same though).  Given your on the large side I wouldnt like to buy one on the assumption theyre the same without trying it.  Its likely theyre pretty close to the same for size though.

Youll be lucky to find a 106 GTi or a GTI-6 for 5 grand but an earlier 306 GTi/S16 or a VTS would be in that price.

I like how many people on here come on asking to buy a 106 GTi...must keep the price of mine up  ;D

I noticed the difference inside, but I suspect the steering and pedals will be the same. I would have driven it (hard too) before any money changed hands.

I know I wont find a 106 gti for 5k, but as I said, I will finance it (I dont have to, but using someone elses money means I can use mine elsewhere)

In my opinion, 6-8k would be right for a 106gti. Thats 306 gti-6 money, so whats good about them?

Tim.

Timotheus

Quote from: zephyrheaven on December 10, 2009, 07:38:26 PM
buy my 309 so i can restore my 205

309 good leg room and its been to and thru dunedin a few times at speed

Is it on tardme? Link it if you can.
A friend and I delaminated 3 tyres on a 309 gti during a run to Invers when we were kids. We had no idea when it pulled into the 50 zone and it wobbled like a three legged horse. Fun though. And in hindsight scary.

Tim.

K-Bar

Hey man welcome.

my one piece of advice would be that wait until something you are dead certain about comes up even if you have to wait (don't settle for less or you may be left wanting) and its always exciting looking out for a car although also frustrating. however you cant go wrong with a french hot hatch

i own a VTS and am very happy with it, i can understand why people would prefer a 106 even though they are so similar but for me my loyalty lies with citroen.

a couple of us might be coming down to dunners for the citroen rally in jan. you should come check it out!
C2 VTS
205 gti
Saxo VTS
AX GT