• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

New to the breed

Started by Alfashark, March 13, 2010, 04:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfashark

Hi all, just venturing into French car ownership for the first time... Off to collect a '97 306 Gti-6 this evening :)

Not new to Euro cars at all though, never owned a Jappa in my life and probably never will...
Over the last 11 years my fleet has consisted of 2x Alfa 33, 2x Skoda S110L, 4x Skoda 120L, 1x Lada 2105, 2x Triumph 2500 (one with forced induction), 1x VW Golf and currently an Audi Coupe GT...
The Wifemobile is a Skoda Fabia vRS WRC replica, so you could say we're Eurotrash  ;D

Currently living in the Redneck Riviera of Putaruru, and working in the rural supply sector... Quite handy for Taupo trackdays ;)
Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time.

DFF53

Hey mate , hows it goin , have you sold your Audi coupe ,me and brother were the ones who brought the  Volvo  to the Taupo trackday June last year.
GTI-6 you say, nice.

Grenouille Rouge

dangermouse

Welcome to the site.
nice work on the alfa 33's. My first REAL car was a 33 cloverleaf.Miss everything about except being under the bonnet every other weekend.

Alfashark

Quote from: DFF53 on March 13, 2010, 07:43:40 PM
Hey mate , hows it goin , have you sold your Audi coupe ,me and brother were the ones who brought the  Volvo  to the Taupo trackday June last year.
GTI-6 you say, nice.
G'day! Yes, I remember well :) Haven't sold the Audi yet, I'll give it another week of offering it to the VASK guys before it hits Trademe...

Quote from: dangermouse on March 13, 2010, 08:07:15 PM
Welcome to the site.
nice work on the alfa 33's. My first REAL car was a 33 cloverleaf.Miss everything about except being under the bonnet every other weekend.

Indeedy, they can be a bit temperamental... Both my s2 8v and s3 16v got a brutal rewiring by Dave Edmunds that saw almost 3m of excess wire removed from each car :-X
They both ran much better after that (good solid earths instead off the piss-week Itie jobs).
Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time.

IzzyRally

Welcome to the breed. One of the best cars I've ever owned was an Alfa 33 sportwagen 1.7 Cloverleaf . the induction noise was to die for. I loved that cae until I blwe it up.

Lord Page

Howdy, no need to be embarrassed about your history, quite a few of us took our time to find Fast Frogs.  I myself used to own an Audi 90 Quattro.
Derek's don't run.

Peugeot Ludix Blaster - Malossi 70cc
Peugeot 406 HDi SW
Peugeot 206 GTi SW

aerorobnz

Quote from: Lord Page on March 18, 2010, 11:56:43 PM
Howdy, no need to be embarrassed about your history, quite a few of us took our time to find Fast Frogs.  I myself used to own an Audi 90 Quattro.

Others of us saw the light straight away when purchasing their first car.... ;D
You could search all your life for who you are, or you could accept the simple truth:You are what you drive - said by Porsche, but I'd rather be a Renaultsport...

BigPete

I had a 33 1.7 QV also, but I drove it in the rain once and it dissolved.

cammmy

What kind of forced induction on your Trumper? Pics?

I love my TC, would be so keen to build hot motor from one of the spares, or dump rover V8 in there.
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

Alfashark

Quote from: cammmy on March 19, 2010, 04:07:50 PM
What kind of forced induction on your Trumper? Pics?

I love my TC, would be so keen to build hot motor from one of the spares, or dump rover V8 in there.

No pics I'm afraid, 'twas during my last year of school and even a cheap digital camera was stupidly expensive at the time...

Used a butchered set of extractors to feed the smaller of the two turbos from a GTB Legacy, feeding into a large plenum that looked a lot like the unit on K-jet Pug engine, then splitting into twin SU's cobbled together from Metro Turbo and the standard issue ones. Two head-gaskets used to decompress the old girl ;)

Ran well enough, we shagged around with the wastegate to give us a low, constant 8psi - it would be half spooled at idle though...
Killed two clutches very quickly, swapped to a BW-35 auto which helped until a uni let go and the half-shaft pretty well destroyed the left semi-trailing arm and everything around it.

Goat

My god....

Skoda 110L

Triumph 2500

You are awesome. REALLY want a 110 coupe. Those things are hot!

Turbo TC sounds choice as. I'm looking into something like that in the near future. Engine wise, did that hold up to the punishment? Only the driveline that let go?

Kiwi6

Hey mate,

Did you get your 6?

Details? 97 like mine?

Colour, mileage etc.....

Scott

Alfashark

Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2010, 11:31:56 PM
My god....

Skoda 110L

Triumph 2500

Turbo TC sounds choice as. I'm looking into something like that in the near future. Engine wise, did that hold up to the punishment? Only the driveline that let go?
Yeah, I'm a sick bastard... So everyone I know, including my wife tells me ::)

Yes, only the driveline failure put an end to that project... If all had gone well, I would have put together another block with a 2.7 stroker crank and and angry cam.
In terms of power and torque, the arse-dyno figured about 160hp and a mountain of torque - you could roll off from the lights in 3rd with the manual box without touching the throttle or feathering the clutch.
The amount you could spend on getting new 2.5 parts from the UK is just silly, so if I was to do it again I'd commit the shameful sin of using an RB25, cams and a set of Italian sidesuckers and keep it N/A

Alfashark

Quote from: Kiwi6 on March 25, 2010, 08:57:38 AM
Hey mate,

Did you get your 6?

Details? 97 like mine?

Colour, mileage etc.....

Scott
Surely did mate :)

'97 GTi-6.
Currently at 184,000km with receipts for a fresh cam-belt and general service in November last year.
Hopefully I'll get the kerbing and scuffs on the wheels sorted out over winter

Goat

Quote from: Alfashark on March 25, 2010, 05:56:56 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2010, 11:31:56 PM
My god....

Skoda 110L

Triumph 2500

Yeah, I'm a sick bastard... So everyone I know, including my wife tells me ::)

Yes, only the driveline failure put an end to that project... If all had gone well, I would have put together another block with a 2.7 stroker crank and and angry cam.
In terms of power and torque, the arse-dyno figured about 160hp and a mountain of torque - you could roll off from the lights in 3rd with the manual box without touching the throttle or feathering the clutch.
The amount you could spend on getting new 2.5 parts from the UK is just silly, so if I was to do it again I'd commit the shameful sin of using an RB25, cams and a set of Italian sidesuckers and keep it N/A

True true.

I have an unhealthy obsession with mechanical injection. Might stick with NA and do a cam and head job. Hmmm. But supercharging would be fun!