• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

A classic 1971 504 restorer... hopefully.

Started by Kiwi303, April 30, 2010, 06:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi303

Hi there, not much to say about me, I'm just a typical guy who happens to have bought a french car and found this site via lion spares peugeot parts dealers links page.

I have had a Renault 25 GLX in the past, comfortable and easy to drive, but it died after a while and getting the parts to repair it cost too much so I traded it in and got my current daily driver to replace it, a 1996 serena van.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 1971 peugeot 504 with live plates, currently on hold. Immediate problems is it has been sitting in a basement for 13 years and the brakes are seized from lack of use in that time. I've pulled all 4 callipers off and am about to refurbish them, but in getting them off I rounded off one of the 8mm internal face hex bolts holding the calliper on, so I need a new bolt first up.

Other bits like perished seals will no doubt show up while I labour at getting her back on the road, but for now I'm focussing on the brake work :P Once she can stop safely, THEN I'll have a go at making her start and go :P

pugMi

nice one dewd. welcome aboard. theres plenty of helpful stuff/people here. we talk a lot of shit but theres gold in amongst it all.
oh, and condolences about the serena  :D ;D

Kiwi303

yeah, I've been poking around a bit, sounds like otara market sometimes :D all those bros and dudes and odd spellings :P I spend most of my car forum time at www.hybridZ.org since I have a 280ZX thats hopefully getting a 302 Cleveland once I get up to aucks and pick the motor up, and scrape together the cash to get the welder and other tools to mount the thing int he engine bay :P
Over there the grammar and spelling rules are STRICT, and I'm a bit of a language nazi myself so I'm comfortable with it :D

My biggest problem just now is how the hell do I get those funny spring things off the spark plugs so I can haul out the plugs and have a look at them. A bit of oil down the bores and a compression and leakdown test are also on the cards, but with the plugs still in place because of those effing spring things I can't manage it...

I've a bid on a 504 haynes manual on trademe, but it would be nice to have the plugs out before the auction closes and the postie gets busy... anyone have a hint on how to pull the plugs on a 1971cc XN1T donk?