• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

New 206gti owner

Started by timbo 206gti, June 21, 2010, 02:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo 206gti

Hi new 206 gti 1999. Standard car. I am looking for some essential modifications. I am looking to take this car on track days.

Thanks,
Tim

cammmy

I would say step one would be some good tyres. Or even some lighter, track day wheels with semi's on them. Slap 'em on when you get to the track then swap back to the normal wheels when you go home.
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

k-trips

Hello Tim- great to see a new member- whereabouts are you from and what brought you to this site?
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]
Quote from: CaMYou can't motorboat a surfboard

Will Fill In Later

Probably want to look at better compound brake pads and decent brake fuild as a starter. 

You will need to mount a fire extinguisher in the car within reach of the driver for 90% of trackdays in nz.

Flick Targa180 a pm as he's racing a 206 gti 180 and might be able to point you in the correct direction for mod's based on what he's done for his car.

cammmy

^was going to be the next thing I recommended :)

Really? I've only heard of needing a fire extuingisher for proper events rather than trackdays
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

Will Fill In Later

It comes down to the track and the organizers.

Every track day i've been to either driving or helping has been mandatory helmet, 100% cotton overalls as a min, and a fire extinguisher.

I think playdayontrack.co.nz don't require a fire extinguisher either.

Carpentry

Are you an experienced driver?
Perhaps some motorsport driving lessons would be helpful to maximise your car as it is. Learning braking and exit points is free (but I guess lessons aren't). It will also let you utilise further modifications you plan to make.

Then again, you may already be a budding Michael Schumacher in which case making the car stick better with tyres and stop consistently with upgraded brakes and fluid is a great idea, as these fine gentlemen have suggested.

Also,
Welcome to the site :)
Take it to Bishops

2052NV

Cool. Good to have a newer car in the ranks!

Post some pics of you car please!!

Also how did you find out about our wonderful corner of the internets?

timbo 206gti

timbo 206gti

as you can see very stock. I have a K&N filter to come and some track day tyres at home ( not sure the k&n does anything but I like the placebo effect!)
Breaks have a shudder under moderate breaking. Is this common? Should I skim the rotors? is there an over ABS feel to these breaks?

cammmy

Sweet whip.

I would be looking at having the rotors checked, or just replace em.
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S

pugMi

nice wee car and looks good in that colour. welcome along.

also, put an Mi in it/nah

2052NV

is that a sunroof i spot? havent seen a sunroof on a 206 gti b4  :o

timbo 206gti

sun roof is half the roof space! really good. This car has grown on my everyday ! There is just a bit of a falt spot in the car between 3-4.5k reves then above that it loves it. Problems with the radio today though, CD changer thing not working , think the CD palyer is shorting out or not installed properly.

camera doctor

Welcome !

Snap ....    Your car is the twin of mine !!

Luckily mine came over from Jappaland with Eibach springs and Koni shocks!!  Loves to corner  ;D
1988 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 with DKZ ( 2K Cup Car )
1988 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 with D6B ( 2K Cup Car )
1989 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9 with DKZ ( Road Car )
1999 Peugeot 206Gti  ( Now Sold :(  )
2004 Peugeot 307SW NZ New
2002 BMW 530i Touring
2006 VW LT46 Camper
2004 Mitzi Pajero GLS LWB
2014 Hyundai i40 Estate