• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hello

Started by crispynz1, July 28, 2010, 05:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crispynz1

Hi all, I'm Crispy and joined the forum for some advice on a 1996 Peugeot 406 STS that I am thinking about buying.  8)

Car has done 133 000 is a 5 speed with factory suspension & exhaust upgrade, badged Peugeot motor-sport. ABS, Airbags - Apparently a copy of 1996 British BTCC. Full service history with Peugeot. New clutch 1 yr ago. Condition is good, a few scratches cosmetic only, leather interior also good.

Are Peugeot's expensive to fix parts wise?
What do you think a fair price would be for this car?

All and any advice really appreciated.

Cheers

2052NV

parts aren't that bad if you look around for aftermarket jobs. genuine is ridicules!

sounds like a decent car. just make sure everything works! all electrics, a/c, heater etc etc etc

also when was cambelt last done??

Griffe

Hi Crispy,  :)

Welcome along, where is the car based?  On Trade Me?  Can you post the link so we can see what you're looking at

Has it had the cambelt/waterpump done?  What Peugeot garage has done it?

Also, (strange question)  what colour is it?  It's not a green one with beige interior by any chance?

It's a workup

crispynz1

Quote from: Jeffo on July 28, 2010, 07:48:03 PM
Hi Crispy,  :)

Welcome along, where is the car based?  On Trade Me?  Can you post the link so we can see what you're looking at

Has it had the cambelt/waterpump done?  What Peugeot garage has done it?

Also, (strange question)  what colour is it?  It's not a green one with beige interior by any chance?

Hi Jeffo, thanks for the welcome! No the car is not listed anywhere. Friend's of a friend is selling it. The current owners rang a Peugeot wreckers & they offered them $2500 unseen from their description. I will get a closer look at the car this weekend and can also see the service history from the day it was purchased new, so should be able to see what work has been carried out. Every how many k's should the cambelt/waterpump be done? - every 100 000? The car is not Green & Beige. Cheers.

crispynz1

Well, I decided to buy the car. I am pretty stoked with it. Just has one fault, the radiator fan started spinning flat out on Sunday & won't stop. Have had Greg Kent check the thermo sensors/plugs but they are fine. Auto electrician is going to have a look at it tomorrow. Don't mind too much as I got the car for a good price. Anyone else might know what's wrong?

Cheers

cammmy

I had that on my 405, have the fan switch checked out (if that's not what Greg did).

Do you have any pics of the car?
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

you wont get parts for it mate

Welcome to French electronics. Lol

BigPete

My 306 used to do that because water would get into a plug behind the bumper. :D

crispynz1

Quote from: cammmy on August 02, 2010, 09:34:30 PM
I had that on my 405, have the fan switch checked out (if that's not what Greg did).

Do you have any pics of the car?

You mean the switch on the dash? That's the other thing that doesn't work - the fan. Need to fix that asap. Will get some pics tomorrow if it isn't raining.

Griffe

or fan switch/fan temp sensor, surprised Gregory didn't check that, the ECU probably thinks that the car's too hot (poss/ faulty fan temp sensor) and constantly tries to cool it

Wait on...is it def the rad fan or is it the condensor fan?
It's a workup

crispynz1

Quote from: you wont get parts for it mate on August 02, 2010, 09:38:18 PM
Welcome to French electronics. Lol

Oh well, hopefully it will be a painless experience.

crispynz1

Quote from: Jeffo on August 02, 2010, 09:42:16 PM
or fan switch/fan temp sensor, surprised Gregory didn't check that, the ECU probably thinks that the car's too hot (poss/ faulty fan temp sensor) and constantly tries to cool it

Wait on...is it def the rad fan or is it the condensor fan?

It is both fans in front of the radiator at full speed. They start up about 10 seconds after you turn the key on.

crispynz1

Well got it sorted. The previous owner had an alarm installed and the bugger who installed it, hooked it up to the fans power supply. It blew the fuse. All fixed now, but need to get the alarm reinstalled, so it doesn't happen again.

Griffe

Quote from: crispynz1 on August 03, 2010, 08:04:33 PM
Well got it sorted. The previous owner had an alarm installed and the bugger who installed it, hooked it up to the fans power supply. It blew the fuse. All fixed now, but need to get the alarm reinstalled, so it doesn't happen again.

That makes me so mad, that cowboys can fudge shiz up like that so bad, from a diagnosis point of course, if you were trying to find out why that's something that would be well down the list of possible causes!

Glad to hear it's all sorted now though!
It's a workup

sanji

Car alarms are the worst when it comes to dodgy wiring. I had one that would go off randomly when I started the car and would immobolise the engine (oddly enough crash starting it made the alarm go off and the engine to kick back in) and ended up having to take the fuse out of the alarm.
Second incident somehow they had crossed a ton of the wires incorrectly into the ignition. The car wouldn't start and was probably sold under the impression that the starter motor was dead. I picked it up cheaply for parts and was pretty chuffed to then discover that some amateur had merely not known what they were doing and that it was an easy fix.