• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hello, new BX16V owver

Started by Ade, August 27, 2010, 03:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ade

Hi all,

Wow, what a great site that I've only just discovered. I'm a long time BX owner (BX16TGS) but have recently bought a 16VGTi, much to the dismay of my wife who wanted a Honda Odyssey (over my dead body). I've always wanted a 16V and this was too tempting to miss out on - it was for sale locally, not too high mileage, first registered in NZ. It needs a bit of work but nothing I can't handle.

So far I have replaced a broken heater valve (a *hit of a job, and one I've also recently had to do on the TGS), rebuilt the flow diverter valve (had a massive LHM leak), replaced the water pump and cam belt. I am trying to find some cam belt tensioners that are not worth more than I paid for the car, so if anyone knows a source let me know. Cheapest so far is 28 pounds each from UK, plus postage. I'm after a distributor cap and rotor and new set of plug leads (the engine has an annoying miss at light throttle, so am trying to eliminate possibilities) and inlet manifold gasket. I also need an oil filler pipe (between oil filler and sump) since I broke the side branch off due to age and heat-hardened rubber. The dealers want $180 for a new one from France (bugger that). Someone told me a bloke called pete on this forum had some pipes made up for a Pug Mi16 that should fit the BX. Does anyone know about this?

I'll post some pics as soon as it's out of the workshop.

Cheers,
Ade

cammmy

I(/Alex's dad Terry) recently did the cambelt on my valver. Paid $114 ea for QH tensioners from BNT. Can't remember if that's GST incl or not.

Could you just put new bearings in your old ones? That's what Terry recommended I do next time.
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

cammmy

Also, welcome to the forum :D

Where abouts are you?
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

k-trips

Welcome - and shit we got a lot of BX'es in the fray now.. (I think its about six 16V GTi's)

AWESOME..

You must post pics and a profile please

Any questions you have - please feel free to ask/PM

Alex - aka Red16V is the man when it comes to knowledge about these things..
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]
Quote from: CaMYou can't motorboat a surfboard

Goat

Welc0me

Tis a great wee site we have here. Hope you enjoy it!
16v BXs are such sweet whips

Ade

Thanks for the welcome. It good to link up with others in NZ who have the same interest in BX's.

I live in Pohangina, which is about 25 mins north of Palmerston North.

I'll look into replacing the bearings in the tensioners. Thanks for the tip.

Ade

CaM

I think I may have heard of you through a friend, richard, from palmy. He works at a safety gear place or something.
Can't be many people on pohangina with a flock of bx's! Where abouts out there are you? I'm quite partial to the odd fang out those ways. Cool roads.
When I was still in school, I used to go out there most tuesdays and thursdays for a burn right up through to Apiti, then back down ridge road and come back out at colyton again, in my Mini. That was like, 2001/2002. Bloody good fun. Poor car used to run out of brakes fairly quickly too... drums all round and spirited driving = goodbye brakes. Even more concerning was the rate I went through exhausts. Usually I'd get home at like 6pm, and spend until about 9 or 10 fixing the creases, dents, and bends so I could drive to school the next day.... ahh those were the times. Often I'd drive home with just extractors, and my exhaust sitting in the cabin with me, poking out the passenger window. In hindsight, if I didn't run it with the sump at like 50mm from the ground even though I intended to drive it on gravel frequently, it would've lasted alot longer....
Haven't been right through there for a while, though. Must do it sometime.... Look out for a grubby red bx on sunday lol. I'm heading up to feilding tomorrow and if I've got time I might go for a burn! enough rambling, though...

Welcome to the site.

You might have luck at SKF for a timing kit. They'll probably do the bearings anyway, however, tread carefully there. you don't want it flying to bits on you!
Definitely pays to shop around. I'll probably be on the prowl for one myself next week so will post back to how I get on.
Any questions, feel free to sing out. don't be afriad by the weirdness that seemingly goes on here. we're a very approachble and friendly bunch!
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

cammmy

SKF are stopping automotive bits so they don't do the timing belt kits anymore (at least that's what the guy on the phone told me)

Timing belt is about $35 from BNT and a waterpump is about $75 from EML
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S

red16v

Welcome, adrian from BXclub i presume?!

Alas, i am not that knowledgeable, just the son of someone who is!

We have three 16vs in our family-as fourth will be on its way shortly i think, and one which is soon to be 200hp+ hopefully, the others just factory fresh.

Any queries, just ask-some clown on here will be able to help!

Ps... fucken forget about censoring swearing, thats the least of your worries- this site is the "rock 'n' roll" of french enthusiasts, ie we are the ones doin handbrakies at a cit meet!
The only thing better than one 16v: TWO 16vs...and a V6

1991 Red/Black BX 16v Phase1 D6C-projected into house.bugger
1991 Red BX 16v Phase2 D6C- restored
1998 Silver Xantia V6-family rocket

k-trips

Quote from: red16v on August 27, 2010, 10:53:37 PM
.........this site is the "rock 'n' roll" of french enthusiasts, ie we are the ones doin handbrakies at a cit meet.......
......while blasting train horns by accident at 3am.
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]

Zealot

Heh, dirty trouble makers.

I approve. Car meets should involve loud noises and a bit of hooliganism. Just not too much, or you turn into the rotary club.

red16v

I concur, but the generally swapmeets of the V8 camp are EPIC- lots of mint cars, heaps of junk, and 34645767586 GCs abound, but few munters. And those that fuck up, dont come back. Its all about a bit of vroom vroom/talk talk/buy buy/ balance, if that makes any sense ;D
The only thing better than one 16v: TWO 16vs...and a V6

1991 Red/Black BX 16v Phase1 D6C-projected into house.bugger
1991 Red BX 16v Phase2 D6C- restored
1998 Silver Xantia V6-family rocket

CaM

1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

cams16v

Hi Ade

Welcome to the fast frogs forum. I myself are relatively new and currently reside in Aucks, but I'm moving down to Feilding in the next month or so.
Regarding your question on ignition leads and caps and rotors, Im currently in the process of getting a new set....it does pay to shop around.
So far most of the bargains I have come across are from ebay...which has its cons of dealing with freight and so forth.
Otherwise contact Andrew at Adlams his a good bloke he will sort something out for ya.
Enjoy the group

Regards Twin Cam

k-trips

My WORD!!

we could almost have a BX Nats with number of BXes on FF now.. (and some have multiple..)  :o

red16V
cams16V
awatt
Cammy
Goat
Cam
KK
Ade
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]