• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Small, black, and goes around corners pretty good

Started by lilpete, November 04, 2010, 07:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilpete

Hey everyone

So after much debate about what my next four-cylinder endeavor should be, I had my decision swayed by a few Peugeot-toting friends. In particular, it was the mechanic that said 'Oh, Peugeot 306? Yeah, they're a bundle of fun'. One 306 S16 later, here I am.

A bit about me: I'm a fourth year student at Vic Uni in Wellington. I've owned an interesting array of motor vehicles in the past - a couple of Bedford vans (one of which was even allowed to drive on the road), a Subaru, Toyota Liteace, old Toyota Corona station wagon.... and some other rubbish. I'm a bit mechanically minded, but not a lot, HOWEVER I'm super keen to get into doing more mechanical work myself, and I think the car I managed to pick up (for $2k!) is a pretty sweet place to start. I'm also yet to hit up a track day, but that's certainly on my todo list.

I've had a bit of a perve around some other rides already, there's some fantastic automobiles out there. Now I've got my hands on one, I think I may be in for the long term.

Without further ado, photos (there are more around somewhere... they're coming soon):

The car: a 306 S16, I bought it around 196,000kms from a Euro car enthusiast (looked after it very well, very nice guy - may be around here somewhere?). A bit of paint's chipped off the front grille, a tear in the driver's seat cloth (but mostly leather, and in good nick), and the heater's currently working like - well, is expected in a Peugeot 306 (ie. not at all) from what I hear.

Apart from that, mechanically it appears to be great. There's a little issue with the temp warning light/stop light flicking on - but temp always seems to be low. I've done a few trips around the place in it with no qualms as yet, and loving it. A lot.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having a look around and having a chat with a few of you. Thanks for having me (so far).

Pee Dubbaya

Quote from: lilpete on November 04, 2010, 07:42:09 PM
Apart from that, mechanically it appears to be great. There's a little issue with the temp warning light/stop light flicking on - but temp always seems to be low. I've done a few trips around the place in it with no qualms as yet, and loving it. A lot.
Hiya welcome along, good choice of ride! Is is a 5speed NZ new, or a 6speed Jap spec S16?
Does the light flick on when you're idling and/or when you first start up? I know the oil temp is connected to a dual circuit that reads oil quantity initially, this could be playing up...
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

cammmy

Welcome along! Whole bunch of epic GC's down here in welly, head along next time we have a meet.

After driving that thing for a month you will be completey hooked on Frenchers! Next thing you know you will be looking at Citroen CX's and thinking "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" ;D
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

CaM

sweet mobile man. welcome along to the madness.
and yeah, come to a meet next time we have one.
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

lilpete

Thanks for the welcome guys, and I'll definitely keep my eyes open for the next meet.

@Renick - it's a 5 speed, although I've heard a GTi 6 is something to put on the bucket list... (and a 205... and now, apparently a Citroen CX...  ;)). With regard to the light, it's only happened a couple of times but I'm pretty sure it's only when I've already been driving.

I haven't had a chance to look around the boards properly yet so I'll check to see if anyone's had a similar problem. If I can't find anything  I'll start up a new thread at some point - any help would be hugely appreciated (although I don't want to seem like I'm only here for the free mechanical advice!)

lilpete

Here's another photo I found from a trip up to GTaranaki - ideally cleaned would be better, but a couple 100 kms makes that tricky.

cammmy

I Love 2 door 306's! Look awesome.

Tidy looking example you've got there too
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

Lord Page

Derek's don't run.

Peugeot Ludix Blaster - Malossi 70cc
Peugeot 406 HDi SW
Peugeot 206 GTi SW

1 PUG GTI

S16's rock i miss my olde one yours look sweet :)

My olde one....

I am now on my 15th 205 gti and love it!!

Current rides

2005 Renault clio 182 cup in FRB
1993 Peugeot 205 gti 1.9 in Miami blue
1990 Renault 5 GT Turbo in Red
2008 Mitsi Triton dual cab glx-r in Cyber blue

lilpete

Very swish. I also noticed the '12th 205 GTi' bit in your sig... so you really do get hooked?

I quite like the idea of some aftermarket wheels, but it's all a matter of bank balance, or, lack thereof. I think I'm heading more toward straight up performance enhancements first though (not the kind you get spam about...). eg. suspension, brakes, air intake... need to do more research though.

1 PUG GTI

Yeah love my french cars lol

On my 12th 205 gti now!!
I am now on my 15th 205 gti and love it!!

Current rides

2005 Renault clio 182 cup in FRB
1993 Peugeot 205 gti 1.9 in Miami blue
1990 Renault 5 GT Turbo in Red
2008 Mitsi Triton dual cab glx-r in Cyber blue