• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hello, BMW nut considering switching to a frog.

Started by gannetboy, March 03, 2011, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gannetboy

G'day... I'm Mark from Chch - currently residing in Rotten-rua.

Just introducing myself as I'm currently looking for a new car and thought I'd do some research on the forums. I'm a big BMW fan and am a mod over at bimmersport.co.nz. My beloved E30 has all but sold so I'm looking for a replacement... and potentially something other than a BMW this time around.

My brother owns a Clio 172 and it's got me considering modern-ish hot hatches such as:

- Megane RS
- Clio 172/182
- Focus ST170
- Golf GTI (MK4's don't really do it for me though)
- Civic Type R (EP3)
- Peugeot 206 GTI 180

Here's a pic of my E30 and my old E36. Cheers for having me!

cammmy

Welcome to the forum.

I have heard good things about the GTi 180's so would definitely take one for a test drive.
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

Pee Dubbaya

Welcome along, good to hear that you're thinking of branching out. French hot hatches are definitely the way forward if you want entertaining driving! Keep posting, once you get to 10posts the classifieds section will open up  :D
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

Slifer

Oh I would love an ep3 or gti 180.
You don't see many gti 180's around and I haven't seen any modded, which would be cool and unique if you plan to go down that path.

Entirely up to you, but coming from a french car forum you know what the majortiy of people are going to say

gti 180 ftw!
1997 106 GTi

gannetboy

Yep, the Peugeot is a cool car - not many GTI 180's about... from what I've read, the gearshift is quite sloppy? I'm also slightly put off by the over the top bodykit!

Top Gear and other review sites rave about the EP3... is certainly looks like a hoot to drive. Might get flamed over at Bimmersport though if I mention I've bought one! :D "Vtec just kicked in yo!"

Megane looks odd, but is quicker than the Civic by a tad. Also better optioned. The drab interior is a bit of a let down.

Focus ST170 could be a go-er. Doesn't really look like a performance hatch though and the interior is once again rather plain.

Golf GTI: I'm interested in the MK3 on trademe with the 1.8T MK4 engine in it. I've been put off by the MK4's ever since I took one for a drive and got called a "hairdresser" by some guy in a SUV.  :o I also dislike the upright and high-up driving position.

That leaves the Clio. Have been impressed by them ever since I took my E30 to a trackday and a pair of silver 172's schooled many much more powerful cars.

Decisions decisions decisions! I'm also tempted to get back into an E36, a manual 328i or possibly M3 if finances allow.

cammmy

Personally I would say the GTi 180 is far from over the top.

'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

K-Bar

I had a focus "centenial" was the same as an ST but had the boring Ztec engine.  very good car otherwise.  handling was great and build quality mint.
C2 VTS
205 gti
Saxo VTS
AX GT

gannetboy

I'm gonna have to take a few cars for a test drive. Unfortunately there aren't any of any of these models in Rotorua. You can only buy Mitsubishi Chariots and Toyota Previas here!! :D

Can anyone who has driven one or a few of these cars give me an objective opinion?

cammmy

Had a mate who was a valet and got to drive a GTi 180. Said it pulled like a train from idle.
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S

gannetboy

Hmmm guess I need to drive one then. Anyone care to lend me their keys?

kiwibrick

I've read that the 180 is a bit hairier to drive than a 306 GTi6, and those get quite hairy at times.
306 S16 6speed

cammmy

don't think anyone on here has a 180. You could always look at a super late model GTi6. Could get a super late, super low km's one for the kind of cash you are looking at spending.
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S

far4ngn

Hi, you'll see a few Bimmersporters hanging about over here.

Welcome to the dark side :)
1986 Phase1 Renault 5 GTT Electric Blue CBW359
1990 UK Spec 205 GTI 1.9 Red GDQ361

you wont get parts for it mate

Quote from: far4ngn on March 04, 2011, 05:03:14 PM
Hi, you'll see a few Bimmersporters hanging about over here.

Welcome to back from the dark side :)

gannetboy

How much of a power difference is there between the 180 and the standard 206 GTi?

Found a car in Rotorua at a dealer... thinking of going for a drive to get a feel for the Pugs.