• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Salut - 106 Rallye owner in Wellington

Started by eye.double.you, March 06, 2011, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eye.double.you

Hi

Just tripped over this site on the interweb... As an S1 106 Rallye owner I thought I'd sign up and say hello!

I've always been a fan of the french hot hatch. Some years ago back in the UK I desperately wanted a Rallye, but driving at the time involved many miles (mostly on motorways) so I went with a Saxo VTR. I put nearly 50k miles on it and loved every minute of it! Then, a short time later, or is that 10years, I finally realised the Rallye dream here in NZ.

About a year ago while trawling through TM for an interesting car, what should I find, you guessed it, an S1 106 Rallye. It's perhaps not had the the attention it deserves from me, but every drive is a fun drive! From what I can can gather it's not one that was raced - amongst other things it's registered as a Rallye rather than a Clubsport, and there's no evidence of a cage being fitted inside previously. I'd be interested if others here knew more about the NZ history of these things.

I've met up with Matt (Dynofiend) here in Wellington via the Rallye register. I've also seen another Rallye out on the road, but not sure who owns it.

And before I wrap this up, back to the reason I tripped over the website in the first place - I'm on the lookout for a set of uprated front springs. I'm assuming the clubsports that were raced had firmer/lower springs fitted? Guess I'll start another thread to ask more questions about it in the right forum.

Anyway, that's me. Ian

Wheels: S1 Rallye, S1 Elise, FF

k-trips

Welcome mate - FYI there is Renick (Kyle) who owns one on here and also Thor (Jeffrey) has just bought a dereged one from Turners Auctions last week.. They are bothh in Wellington.

there may be others but I'm not sure..
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]
Quote from: CaMYou can't motorboat a surfboard

cammmy

Welcome

I know of one more but not who owns it.
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

Bennny

Pee Dubbaya

Salut, je suis Kyle aka Renick. I have the other S1 Rallye (clubsport) you may have seen around Welly. I'm in Thorndon, how about yourself?
Stoked to have another enthusiastic Rallye owner join up, you obviously understand the pure fun factor of the wee beasties! If you want we could have a yarn & a comparison. I've picked up a little info in the almost two years of had mine, and I also have contact details for a guy who is trying to keep track of all Rallye's in NZ and has a pretty comprehensive knowledge.
To your question on springs, yes the clubsport's did have race suspension, but this was taken out and replaced with standard (Rallye) stuff when they got road registered. It was apparently much too stiff for road use. Interesting that you are looking for stiffer- standard setup is pretty good I think...
Anyway, welcome to the fastfrogs madhouse!
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

2052NV

YAY another rallye. one of my dream frogs for sure!

Please post pics and show us your beauty please...

eye.double.you

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Kyle - I'm up in Harbour View, but work in town. It could've been you I saw. I spotted it about 6mths ago in the Hutt, but I wasn't in my Pug so I'd have looked a bit odd if I'd waved :-) Never seen it since though.

Would be cool to catch up some time to check out the Clubsport, and most likely bombard you with questions about it... Have you ever taken yours on track? I'm keen to get mine around Manfeild sometime - it might feel a bit lost on the straights but should be a lot of fun in the twisty bits!

Pee Dubbaya

Yeah coulda been mine up round the Hutt, but it's been parked up since about November due to lack of parking in Thorndon and I've been using my GTI-6 as a daily. Just getting Rallye back on the road in time for famp- needs new brakes for wof.
Harbour View ain't too bad a spot, we should do a photo shoot up there.  ;D
I've taken the Rallye around Puke not long after I first got it- not really the best track for a low powered car tho it was great fun, lots of spins while I found the limit- and went past it! Got monstered on the long straights, but sounded fricken awesome at full noise. I ended up damaging the clutch- I think with my lack of effective heel 'n toeing. Since then I mostly found gnarly back roads and caned it on those. I meant to go round Hampton Downs but timing never worked out. Have been thinking of trying Manfeild as a regular track day cos I'm moving up that way shortly.
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

eye.double.you

Good luck getting the Rallye back on the road, I'm sure it'll be fun to be back behind the wheel. Let me know when you're rolling again! And if you move nearby then Manfeild will be your 2nd home  :) Beats having to spend 2hrs driving there on SH1!

What's the deal with pics on here? I tried uploading a profile pic of the car but couldn't get it to work...

cammmy

Prob best to stick it in imageshack or photobucket and put the url in.
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

Lord Page

Yeah, I think we pay for the forum hosting according to bits and bites so the size of files you can upload has been turned down.

See http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,238.0.html for instructions to a Photobucket account we all can use.

Anyway, welcome and nice work on having a rallye!
Derek's don't run.

Peugeot Ludix Blaster - Malossi 70cc
Peugeot 406 HDi SW
Peugeot 206 GTi SW

Thor

Quote from: Renick on March 07, 2011, 10:52:57 PM
Yeah coulda been mine up round the Hutt, but it's been parked up since about November due to lack of parking in Thorndon and I've been using my GTI-6 as a daily. Just getting Rallye back on the road in time for famp- needs new brakes for wof.
Harbour View ain't too bad a spot, we should do a photo shoot up there.  ;D
I've taken the Rallye around Puke not long after I first got it- not really the best track for a low powered car tho it was great fun, lots of spins while I found the limit- and went past it! Got monstered on the long straights, but sounded fricken awesome at full noise. I ended up damaging the clutch- I think with my lack of effective heel 'n toeing. Since then I mostly found gnarly back roads and caned it on those. I meant to go round Hampton Downs but timing never worked out. Have been thinking of trying Manfeild as a regular track day cos I'm moving up that way shortly.

are you in or was your clubsport parked at poplar grove in thorndon last year? ive seen a clubsport there before. went back there recently on my way to uni to see if it was still there but it aint

eye.double.you

The Rallye is at Armstrong today to read the engine codes... After it's had it's 'free' groom I'll snap a few pics while it's looking vaguely respectable :-)

Was it Slifer who worked there? I used to know people on the Porsche/Audi side but they've since moved on.

Slifer

Quote from: eye.double.you on March 24, 2011, 09:21:18 AM
The Rallye is at Armstrong today to read the engine codes... After it's had it's 'free' groom I'll snap a few pics while it's looking vaguely respectable :-)

Was it Slifer who worked there? I used to know people on the Porsche/Audi side but they've since moved on.

Hey mate, yup I use to work there last year and only doing grooming in the holidays now. We "non-prestige" groomers didn't really get to know anyone from the prestige side lol.

Anyway I must say Welly is starting to become 106 central, we have mine and Bullit's 106 gti's and Renick's, Thor's and your 106 Rallye's
1997 106 GTi