• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hello friend

Started by ilikecats, June 19, 2011, 11:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilikecats

Hi I am Kate,

I do not currently own a french car, However after much consideration (and pestering from my partner) I have finally caved and decided to look seriously at getting a french car.
I would like your opinions on this process as I am not an expert, I think it is always best to have a second opinion.
I initally looked into Subaru Foresters (boo I know) but I need something that is fit for a family lifestyle aswell as being a little bit fun to drive. I am looking for an automatic too as manual is just not my bag.
My partner found this on trademe, Does anyone know if this would be a decent car?http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/peugeot/auction-376434644.htm

peterallison86

Hello and welcome!

QuoteI have finally caved and decided to look seriously at getting a french car.
I would like your opinions on this process

^I think its a great idea  ;D

As for the 405 SRI, I've not driven one, but I'm sure someone on here can give you some sound advice - but it certainly sounds nice to me.
Past: '89 205 Gti, '98 306 Gti-6, '90 205 Gti      Present: '01 Clio Sport RS 172      Future: ???

awatt

Or maybe something along the lines of this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/peugeot/auction-382803039.htm

And hello :)
Current steed: '07 Citroen C4 HDi

Bennny

I had a manual SRI some years ago.
Was a very nice car and awesome to drive, and sounded beautiful.
Keep your eyes out for an MI 16 very similar but 16v slightly quicker and a bit more fun. But that said I so want my SRI back.

Also welcome to FF.

CaM

Hi Kate,

405SRi's are really nice.

I'm no expert on French automatics but I hear they can give some issues. Apparently if they've been serviced and the right fluid put in them then they can be really quite reliable.
shame that car has crappy paint becaue otherwise it's pretty choice! lots of space to add a DVD player to play bus dvds whilst you're driving. perfect!
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

ilikecats

Quoteadd a DVD player to play bus dvds whilst you're driving

Now that would be pretty sweet, I have been looking into getting the buses and trams DVD just to double the fun!  ;D

Thanks for the advice, I think I may need to scrub up on my manual driving skills as this will give me alot more choice. I think for the price of the car i posted I would be able to afford to get it re painted, As I am in Wellington and this car is in Auckland I am trying to figure out wether or not it would be worth while to look at it, Or keep waiting and find something a little closer to home.

Pee Dubbaya

Welcome along!

Quote from: Bennny on June 19, 2011, 01:24:44 PM
Keep your eyes out for an MI 16 very similar but 16v slightly quicker and a bit more fun.
I've had this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/peugeot/405/auction-376552013.htm on my watchlist for a couple of weeks now, I want it, but realistically aren't going to buy it. A pretty cool car at a reasonable price, just have to accept the manual 'box...
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

Bennny

That looks identical to my SRI except its missing all the centre caps.
Same colour, wheels etc etc, so sexy.  :o

Don Simon

hello and welcome. I would also advise on sterring away from a automatic french car as they do have problems.
91 Peugeot 205 GTI MI-16
11 Ds3 Dsport HDI (Becky's)
97 Peugeot 306 Dturbo
1995 Citroen AX GT

CaM

shit yeah if you're keen on a manual then there's aaaallll manner of options.

also, if your budget allows to repaint a $1500 car, then there's plenty of $3-4k cars that are out there that are likely better, and will still owrk out cheaper than a reasonable paint job + the purchase on the 405? that is, unless you're super keen for a 405.

1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

BigPete

Thor

ilikecats

I am not keen on any particular car at the moment. I like our BX that we have, And I just need a 4 door car, easy to drive and in decent knick.
I like the look of the 405 though, and I think it would be a decent car for 1500 (I can get the car painted for cheap). I am open to all suggestions, I think I would be keen for an automatic off the bat and then maybe skill up in manual and then look at getting a manual replacement.

ilikecats

The car I orignally posted above they have offered me for 1300 (this is based on it getting a WOF, which is happening this week)

CaM

1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16