• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

New and looking at buying a 205 gti

Started by Jeddy, January 10, 2012, 02:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeddy

Hi all,

As you can probably tell i've just joined here.  My last 3 cars have all been e30 BMW's however i'm looking at bucking that trend and getting a 205 gti.  I've been keeping my eye on TradeMe and recently noticed these two pop up.  If anyone knows anything about them and can give me some handy pointers on the 205 (i'm a newb when it comes to all things Peugeot) that would be much appreciated.

Regards

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=437429353

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=438618393

Bennny

Welcome dude.

Both nice examples, obviously from descriptions given the white one appears to be
a nicer car but the black one (although only start price) appears to be value for money.
Are you going to view them at all? The black one has a slightly suspect bit under vin plate that could be just a bit of grime or possibly the start of a bit of rust. Ask him if he has any sort of figure in mind maybe and if it isn't a hell of a lot less than the white one I would go with that (white one). Don't particularly know what these are worth though? Maybe ask 2052NV he would prob'ly be up with this stuff.

far4ngn

Hi, welcome along Jed.  Did you sell your 318is? Hope everything is ok down there in Chch.

Hope you find something decent :)

I suppose it depends how much work you want to pour into the car or do you want a great car from day one?
1986 Phase1 Renault 5 GTT Electric Blue CBW359
1990 UK Spec 205 GTI 1.9 Red GDQ361

Jeddy

Bennny, yea I plan on going to take a look, firstly at the white one as its a bit closer.

Thanks Paul, no I still have the iS and its still for sale, although I haven't tried very hard to move it as I still love it.  However thinking about getting something a bit smaller hence the gti or other euro hatch.  If i'd had the cash at the time I would have been all over your Renault. 

Ideally I want something I don't have to pour heaps into it and is good from the outset, however having had e30's I know that with a 20+ y/o car they're going to need their fair share of maintenance and i'm fine with that.  I haven't driven one yet so might go check out the white one and see how I go.

BigPete

White one is owned by a member on here - peugeotheaven and previously by another member whose name escapes me.

Bennny

I don't know peugeot heaven but would I be right thinkin' he is a euro mechanic?
If that's the case I would imagine it would have been looked after.

2052NV

Get the best one you can possibly afford is my advice!

the white one is nice and looks (pretty much) exactly the same as mine when i got it  8) and yea its a bit steep for what it is but just go look at it pick out all the faults and talk him down to nearer 4g (id put it at 3.5-4g) and tell him he won't sell it at that price. (when he first put that car on tm he was trying to get 8g LOL)

Jeddy

Quote from: 2052NV on January 10, 2012, 09:48:45 PM
Get the best one you can possibly afford is my advice!

the white one is nice and looks (pretty much) exactly the same as mine when i got it  8) and yea its a bit steep for what it is but just go look at it pick out all the faults and talk him down to nearer 4g (id put it at 3.5-4g) and tell him he won't sell it at that price. (when he first put that car on tm he was trying to get 8g LOL)

Thanks, thats very good to know as I really have no idea on what they usually go for.  What are some common faults to look out for with the 205?  As Bennny mentioned he might be a mechanic so hopefully it has been meticulously cared for. 

far4ngn

I'd be interested to see your feedback after driving the 318is.
1986 Phase1 Renault 5 GTT Electric Blue CBW359
1990 UK Spec 205 GTI 1.9 Red GDQ361

harlansmart

+1 on this

We're looking and watching the same 2 pugs, and at the same time starting to wonder if maybe a Mk. II Golf makes more sense... but then I move further back to the straight and narrow and start thinking about Bimmers... compromise compromise compromise

Quote from: far4ngn on January 11, 2012, 08:23:32 AM
I'd be interested to see your feedback after driving the 318is.
Harlan
Auckland, New Zealand

2052NV

QuoteWe're looking and watching the same 2 pugs, and at the same time starting to wonder if maybe a Mk. II Golf makes more sense...

just a note from a Mod that you are NOT ALLOWED TO SWEAR on this forum.... thnksbai  ;D

you wont get parts for it mate

harlansmart

Harlan
Auckland, New Zealand

Jesus

B18C .... hope i dont get a ban for that... :)
Lifes hard, Its harder when your stupid.

grenouilles rapides

BigPete

My 205GTI has been called a 'veedub' and a Barina :D