• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

405 SRDT

Started by grum, March 30, 2012, 01:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grum

Hi, have recently taken over my parent's '96 405 SRDT. Bought new by them, a mere 75,000 km, always garaged and drives very nicely. Not sure it's that fast (other car is a WRX), but it's defintely a Frog and has some character. Makes a nice refined change from the Suby.

I don't think the cambelt has ever been done, how scared should I be? I need to drive it from Napier to Christchurch soon, getting work done first will be tricky.

Assuming I make it, any good mechanics to take it to in CHC?

Cheers
grum

cammmy

16 year old cambelt?!?!?! change it! Supposed to be 100,000km or 5 years.

Neil Stuart automotive in Chch is the man to go to down there.
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

CaM

yep do the belt asap.

and 75'000km? wow. that must be a contender for lowest kays 405 diesel on the planet! :D
enjoy it! a chap on here has recently been fettling with a citroen bx turbo diesel (essentially the same engine) and had some good results with a bit of extra power, and more refined driavability than stock so he could be one to talk to if you're after a little extra pep.

there's another chap entirely that had a diesel drag weapon citroen bx wagon, and is now building another bx diesel hatch drag car, so these things don't need to be a slug!

welcome along :D
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

cammmy

Also. Welcome along ;D
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

k-trips

I fuckin LOVE diesels

Yes get that cambelt done before you leave if you can - it would be a month/year ruiner if it breaks..
Are you considering doing it yourself or paying someone to do it..

FYI - one of the guys on here got a prices between $700-$1100 odd to do a cambelt on his diesel..

Quote from: jamesthefrogman on April 28, 2011, 01:33:46 PM
Got a ballpark quote from a guy in Upper Hutt near my work to do it for $700. Labour $300ish (5 hrs at $60/hr), parts $400ish.

Water pump - He said 9/10 times he'll replace it, unless it looks like it's been replaced before and doesn't need it.

Questions:
1. The biggie - What parts should I be looking for on eBay? (and is it worth it)
2. Anyone know of somewhere else that I could get it done for cheaper? And not worry about it not being a good job.

Adlams European quoted around $1,100 incl parts, so happy to know I'm saving $400 right off the bat.

[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]
Quote from: CaMYou can't motorboat a surfboard

BigPete

Quote from: cammmy on March 30, 2012, 02:00:27 PM
Neil Stuart automotive in Chch is the man to go to down there.
Good for WRXeses too.

cammmy

Is the disiesel belt much harder to change than the valver belt? Never done a dizzle one but willing to lend a hand.
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S

CaM

tis sohc with another pulely which is the fuel pump so shouldn't be a big deal. ideally you need to check the pump timing but people very rarely do.

1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

grum

Wow, friendly place! Thanks for all the comments.

Have just had a quote from the dealer in Hawkes Bay, $1140 for everything including waterpump, or $535 belt only. (incl GST and a free loan car).

The belt only option was my idea ... given the low mileage (75,000km) on this car, I'm thinking I might get away with doing just the belt for another year or three. Am I crazy?
I've always (well, twice) had the full job (tensioner/idler/waterpump/etc) done on the WRX and walked away happy in the knowledge it was 100% up to scratch, but I'm not sure how long I will keep the Peugeot or how much use it will get, so cheaping out has some attraction...also means I could get the full job done locally in the future, better for peace of mind and hopefully at less than dealer prices.

When they said they had the belt in stock, I had to ask "how old is it" :-) It's probably a few years since they've even seen a 405 diesel... Does the belt really deteriorate faster while installed on the car sitting unused in a garage, than it does stored in a box on a shelf in the parts department?

@cammy - Thanks for the offer of help, but I'm way past the age where working on your own car has any appeal....

CaM

I'd at least get the waterpump done! murphys law and all that means it'll start weeing out coolant if you dont.
If the tensioners are in good nick, which they likely will be, then there's no reason why you NEED to do these.

There's probably a better option than the stealer in hawkes bay. I know of a guy that works for a workshop and he's pretty good, however I'm not sure if he'd touch a frenchy. he's usually none too keen on them :P
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

BigPete

Try Neil Stuart maybe

Bennny

It would deteriorate a lot quicker on car as it would be under tension.
I would suggest having the whole works done but prob'ly look round for better price.

Welcome to FF  :)

grum

OK, progress report for you all you interested frogs...

In the end I got the timing belt changed by the dealer in Napier. They discovered the waterpump was leaking, so we put in a new aftermarket one. Tensioner/idler seemed OK so left them alone. Also gave it an oil change/filter. Cost for all that $750 so a bit spendy but I wasn't in a position to be too clever about it. And they gave good service and a free loan car for the day. Turns out the cambelt had probably been changed before, but given that the waterpump needed replacing anyway, I'm happy enough. Many thanks to all who provided advice, it was very helpful.

Yesterday very enjoyable drive from Napier to Christchurch, apart from a very rough 30 minutes or so just outside Wellington Heads on the ferry. The car went like a dream, it's a fantastic long distance tourer and definitely a keeper. So quiet, comfortable and relaxing to drive, even when pressing on a bit. When I got to CHC at 10pm I just wanted to keep driving! And still had 1/4 of a tank of fuel left.

Planning the next tiki-tour already,
Le grum

awatt

I bet that feels like having a mountain lifted from your shoulders.

They are choice cars for driving silly distances, right? I find the Citroens I've driven with that diesel engine haven't stressed me out anywhere near as much as petrol cars--both froggies and non-frogs.
Current steed: '07 Citroen C4 HDi