• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hope I qualify - and (gasp) LPG for a 205gti-c

Started by v6clio, June 25, 2012, 02:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

v6clio

Hi from Melbourne, Aus, but soon to be relocated home to lower North Island, NZ.

Where I will be reunited with my Sorrento Green '94 205gti-c 1.9 (c is for Classic, # 26 of only 30 world wide). Plan is to make this my daily driver after some engine reconditioning (done almost 200k) and for reasons of economy only to convert her to duel fuel LPG.

Question - does anybody on here have experience with LPG conversion with a reasonably stock standard 205?? Also planning a suspension upgrade anyway, so am guessing somewhat stiffer rear end to accomodate extra weight (HATE those 2 words together) at the rear. Also maybe some minor (cams?) engine go slightly fast bits to compensate for weight.

No pics of the 205 at this stage, but see other beast below. Hope this pair qualifies me as a FastFrog!!

Reason for daily drive and economy is so I can justify keeping Clio v6 in the garage for dry weekend (only) jaunts. Absolutely stock and promised to my son that way when I die!! Bought a year ago off of Phil in Hibiscus Coast. Would love to post photos but it appears they are all over the 256kb limit for this site. Any help with that??

Any help re LPG greatly appereciated. Look forward to maybe talking shop with like minded Francophiles in Lower NI as the year goes on......

v6clio

and I just remembered a smaller image. The 'stock' image of my Clio is the one used on the Clio v6 info page on Wikipedia. Yes, the actual car on the Wiki site was my car before it was imported to NZ. So, in a previous guise from the Goodwood Festival of Speed about 6 years ago.......... 8)

[attachment deleted by admin]

BigPete

Lush. I'm in a similar position of trying to get an LPG Volvo and petrol Clio Cup to work properly, while sitting in a bar in Brisbane drinking cider. It doesn't appear to be a particularly effective strategy.

k-trips

Is your green 205 the one that parks at the top of Brooklyn hill most days?
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]
Quote from: CaMYou can't motorboat a surfboard

v6clio

yes, my nephew has custody of it whilst I am away. He has no interest in it, however, and is happy to return it to me when I get back to NZ. Reckons he will replace it with an Integra. The boy has no idea!! (and he promised me it would be garaged......lies....)

k-trips

Can I say lpg is probably a terrible idea. The weight of the tank alone will affect the balance of the car enough that it would negate the economy. The cost would be prohibitive also.

If you want some economy then grab a turbo diesel pug. Or even better do a turbo diesel conversion on a 205. Swoon.

I know of a 405 diesel turbo for sale that has an average body but awesome running gear. It would be the business to chuck into a 205.
Plus I would worship the ground you walked on.
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]

k-trips

Going on like a broken record but you have unintentionally seeded an idea in my brain.

If you have doubts about the performance of a diesel turbo then come to take my BX for a hoon.

Im in Wellington and while its not as quick as an Mi16 it doesn't fuck around when you give it welly.

Choice.
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]

k-trips

Haha not dobbing your nephew in but its definitely not garaged. I see it at the top of Brooklyn hill almost every day.
Will have a meet sometime in the near future.
Make sure you come along and bring both your whips.
Choice.
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]

v6clio

Dobbing in nephew is fine by me. He IS doing me a favour by keeping GTI running and not siezing up!
You have planted that diesel seed in my brain tho. Had not factored in a turbo, but obvious really. I have the performance taken care of with the Clio and the 205 will be the daily economy, so maybe me and my friend google will do some more research.
Can only drive one at a time when I get to Wgton. Suspect it will not be the 205.......

you wont get parts for it mate

Cant really complain about the clio being your backup while working on said 205. lol

peterallison86

Haha - I stuck a "can I please buy this car" note on it in a couple of years ago....
No reply.  ???
Past: '89 205 Gti, '98 306 Gti-6, '90 205 Gti      Present: '01 Clio Sport RS 172      Future: ???

v6clio

yeah Pete

you and 3 others, I heard all about it........

k-trips

For economy I'll tell you that my BX is at 800km since I filled up and I still have a quarter tank.
Would expect if I filled it now it'd be close to $60 to fill it which is about 35 to 40 litres.
Actually I'll fill it tomorrow to give you actual figures.
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]

you wont get parts for it mate

k-trips

Hey!
I resemble that comment. lol

Is it bad I read your post in your voice even though I havent see you or heard your voice in a year.
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]