• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

New member in search of help...

Started by Pigs in Space, October 23, 2012, 01:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigs in Space

Hi there. I have a 1.9 GTI. I am keen to gradually return to its former greatness. I need a great (reasonably priced) mechanic. A new dashboard and a new engine! i need quite a few other bits, but thats what im chasing at the moment. Im in Auckland. Also how much is it to replace the clutch? cheers

MYRUSH

Welcome to FastFrogs!

What year is your 205?

Buying a clutch kit from UK would cost around $200-280 NZD shipped.
Then it sounds like you need a mechanic to put it in for you, ask around for quotes on how much to install.
Present:
Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Rallye S1
BMW M5 E60 V10
Pug 306 Cabrio 2.0

Past:
Pug 406 Sedan
2x Pug 406 V6 Sedan
Pug 406 V6 Coupe
Pug 205 GTi 1.9
4x Pug 106 XSi 1.6
Pug 106 Diesel

Pee Dubbaya

Welcome to Fast Frogs! You've definitely come to the right place for advice- lots of knowledge on here to help you out.

I have a 130hp 1.9 gti engine that's just come out of my 205 if you're interested. Is nothing wrong with the engine, I just upgraded to the DOHC version. Dashboard may be interesting to find, but people on here will let you know if they find one (Stay away from gti205pug on trademe- he's dodgy as).

As for mechanics, you need to talk to Greg Kent, 80 Diana Drive on the Shore, Ph (09) 444 7703. He's been fixing Pugs for ages, knows them inside out, the work he does is top notch and quite reasonably priced (new parts too).

Cheers
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

Pigs in Space

Hi thanks for the tips. How old is the engine, where are you based and how much $ do you think you might want for it? My Peugeot is 1990.

Pee Dubbaya

The engine is out of a 1989 205gti. I can say subjectively that it felt like not too many horses had escaped over the years  ;D . I don't have any firm service history on it other to say that it was regularly serviced by Greg Kent for quite some number of years, and he recommended the car to me as a good one. I only drove the car with that engine in it once, from Auckland down to Palmy where I live, before swapping a short time later with the mi16 engine that I had waiting. The original engine is now sitting at the back of my garage.
I'm not too sure what the going rate is- from what I've seen wreckers tend to charge anywhere from $600-700 up to $4000 for engines depending on what they're out of. This one would be at the lower end of the scale, but if it helps you keep your car going I'm able to be flexible- I'd much rather sell for cheap to make sure an old pug gets to stay on the road! What's wrong with the engine currently in there btw? Oh and transport shouldn't be too much of a problem- we have a pretty good transport service running with members driving around the country!

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

Pigs in Space

Hey. Mine is fine. Fine being the word. I had one of these back in the Uk as a 20 year old. Im reliving the experience now but am disappointed by the speed of mine. Its jap, and Greg who i spoke to today on your recommendation, says i need a Uk full 130 plus bhp to get that pick up i remember so fondly. i was told the mi16 thing can effect the handling, is that rubbish? I am keen, but i have to say, im not too flash for cash, but equally i dont want to be a jerk. should we email .... or carry on through here? incidentally is the chap to be aware of someone who lives in the waitaks.

Pee Dubbaya

Yeah jap spec is unfortunate. Early (alloy block) Mi16 weighs roughly the same- just a second cam & housing, & with it being mounted the same I can't see how it would adversely affect handling. The later steel block mi16, s16 & gti-6 engines weigh at a minimum 30kg more which probably would. That's why I went for the mi.
I have no problem discussing in general on here- but if we get to talking deals we can switch to the PM function. I'm in no hurry so if you need some time so save a few pennies that's cool.

Yeah the douchbag lives out West, edge of the Waitaks you'd probably call it.

Pigs in Space

Can I ask how much it costs to get an engine changed or is that a question for Greg? are the early Mi16 engines like yours common? Whats the difference in performance between that and a Uk 1.9 engine. Yep, time could help a bit. is the out west guy unreliable or just unusual. Can you recommend anywhere for a dash or do i just need to be patient. greg has quoted me around 1k for the clutch. its only really worth spending money on these fellas, if you're keeping them. It seems like a krap one sells for 4k and really good one sells for 5k. unless im mistaken. i ask a lot of questions eh... im a journalist and i cant help it.

Pee Dubbaya

Well I guess it depends on whether it's essentially the same engine & you're going for a straight 'plug & play' swap, which could maybe be done in a day, or if mucking about changing stuff like with the mi16 which is quite a bit of work. I recruited the resident guru on here when doing mine & it still took the two of us all week- translate that to labour cost at a garage... Actually don't, it might hurt to think about (I think I just gave one of my Scottish brain cells a heart attack!). Essentially if you're not up to doing at least some of it yourself, it could cost you a fair wedge. Likely a large way towards a car already at the "greatness" that you're after.
Early Mi16's are pretty few & far between over here so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. In most cases you have to be prepared to purchase another whole car...
Dash replacement isn't a simple job either- afaik it will take most of a day at a garage by someone who knows what they're doing. Wreckers usually don't seem to bother with taking dash out- too much effort for low reward. If you're lucky you may be able to find one, but may have to remove it yourself (harder than it sounds).

So, in summary, if you're on a tight budget it's possibly not worth the hassle & expense to upgrade everything- you need to be planning to keep it if you do, because it's unlikely you'll make your money back. The best plan is probably to start with a good car in the first place. $4-5k should get you a good one, $1-4k will get you one with varying degrees of good/bad that will need some work. Selling patterns are pretty random too.

P.S. Post away & once you reach 10 the classifieds section on here will unlock for you.

Guy out west is quite aggressive & bullish with his marketing. He's been observed to be dishonest in that he falsely advertises parts, misleads in the comments section, and often sells a part then only supplies some of what was advertised, & then demands extra for attached pieces. Some others on here have been burnt so the warning is there- make of it what you will.

sexyBerlingo

i suggest buy that guys engine, a clutch kit and an engine crane and work it out. its 95% lego/meccano

Bennny

Welcome to ff bud.

IMO, I would sell it put and the cash toward what your after,
1k for clutch at least $800 for motor swap not including donor motor, dash probly be another 1k or summat after fitting. (If your gonna pay proffesionals for all that). Unless you do a gud portion of the work, what your looking at spending will get you a decent one. With a lot less hassle.

Just my 2c.

Jesus

Dash isn't too hard to swap.. finding one in ok condition is.

I reckon swap the engine and wait til u get a good dash then swap it in too. Ps the mark1 dash fits diffrent to the mark2.
Lifes hard, Its harder when your stupid.

grenouilles rapides

Pigs in Space

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I may well try and get the engine offered. Not sure if I can work out how to pu it in myself. Is it best to buy a clutch kit on line? And then take it to your mechanic? Where would I get the clutch from? Still can't find a dash... Not even a bad one.

Pigs in Space

Is there a classifieds section on this site? Or if I'm chasing a dash do I just put up a post and hope?

BigPete

You can put a wanted ad in here:
http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/board,10.0.html

When you've made 10 or more posts, the for sale section will also appear.

I think clutches can be picked up fairly economically locally especially as they weigh a few kg so international freight will be a bit of a killer. Try BNT or Exedy in Glenfield. If you're having a mechanic fit it, they will probably know the best places to source anyway so may as well leave it to them. Makes it simpler in the unlikely event you have to take it back because it breaks etc too.