• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hi everyone

Started by dan, January 03, 2013, 03:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan

Hi everyone, i recently got my self a rough old 1.6 205 gti as my practical daily transport :). Im am in chch so some of the local members might know the car. Does anyone know where i could get a fuel pump for the beast? as the one in it is on the way out and requires waking up with a tap from hammer most mornings. Thanks

Lord Page

Derek's don't run.

Peugeot Ludix Blaster - Malossi 70cc
Peugeot 406 HDi SW
Peugeot 206 GTi SW

Pee Dubbaya

Hiya, welcome  :D  It's definitely known with that plate, if you ever want to sell...
Sorry can't help with the fuel pump- you could try Ansell Eurospares.
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

Budgie

1990 205 GTI | 1992 405mi16

Puglet

Is it an in-tank pump? I can't remember, if it is there's a guy on trade me rbeck?? He's in dunedin and has a hoard of old frenchies, i bought a few bits off him a while back when i had my 309gti.

dan

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Yeah the plate is flashest part on it. It is an in tank pump, ill try Ansell Eurospares when they open up again and I have sent one guy on trade me a message.  Fingers crossed ill track one down soon so I can make the most of this nice weather, havent been keen to cruise too far incase I get stranded.

Reviled

love that you brought this as a 'practical' daily driver - you'll fit right in here ;)

Welcome!!

softlad

I just priced one up for my Visa GTi and was quoted $320 + gst from Auto Stop in Glenfield and would discount it when I told him I was going to buy offshore but was still going to be $200
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hayg-OEM-Inline-Fuel-Pump-0-580-464-070-0580464070-New-/320636930807?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa7734af7&vxp=mtr
Deliverd is just over the $100 for a brand new pump

BigPete

Don't break that damn rubber hose thing when you take it apart/put it back together!

dan

Wow Visa Gti that must be rear as.

I think I managed to track a pump down from a wreckers in Auckland,
http://www.gtmechtronix.co.nz/index.php?content=carparts
they have a 1.6 and a 1.9 they are wrecking if anyone else needs anything.

Seeing as this is an introduction thread I thought I might share the story of my introduction to French motoring in the 205.
It was my first "proper" drive in the car about a week or so after I got it. I had just managed to fix its tendency to stall at every set of lights, get gauges working and a few other small things. Sick of city driving I decided to head up the port hills to see if the little 205 would live up to the excitement promised by its James Bond ads and reputation of being a driver's car on a decent road. There are good roads on the port hills as long as there is no traffic or cyclists.
After cruising over from the Christchurch side and finding conditions perfect I turned around for a more spirited drive back over Dryers pass. With the little 1.6 running strong and its go-cart handling lapping up the empty windy road before me, my confidence and satisfaction was growing by the corner. Then nearing the top of the pass I entered a tight right hander when something in my rear view mirror caught my eye. Smoke!!!
Not just a little puff of black or even a two-stroke like haze of blue, but a thick impenetrable cloud of white smoke billowing from the back of my car. Uh oh. Moments later astonishingly the smoke intensified, began to also pour out from under the bonnet and started to fill the interior of the car. At this point on Dryers pass there is no convenient place to pull off the road and watch your new car burn to the ground, as it is a steep hill with a drop on one side and a bank on the other. Glancing down quickly through the smoke to the thankfully now working gauges I found that the temperatures and oil pressure were all still in the happy zone. Making the decision I put my foot back down and decided to try to make it with my head out the window to the top of the pass where there is a pull off for a look out area.
Arriving at the top of the pass I pulled my now fully engulfed cloud of smoke into the lookout under the bemused gaze of a group of cyclists who watched the spectacle with the kind of rapt attention that Ferrari owners only wish that their cars could draw. Acting as nonchalant as possible I killed the engine and hopped out. While casually putting some distance between me and the car, said something like "Its French it's meant to do that" to group of on lookers. As the smoke thinned and the car became visible like it was at some European car show and with no sign of turning into a fireball I stopped pretending to look at view and made my way back over to it.
A quick look under the bonnet revealed the cause of the smoke. The power steering hose had been incorrectly routed at some stage. It had melted on the hot exhaust manifold causing power steering fluid to be pumped directly on to it turning the 205 into James Bond spec creating a simultaneous smoke screen and oil slick. Luckily all this happened near the end of the hose so I was able to chop the affected part off and reroute the hose (away from the exhaust!) and borrowing a hoes clamp from the breather get going again. Safe in the knowledge that yes the 205 can provide an exciting experience if maybe not the one I had first imagined.

Pee Dubbaya

Epic story! You'll fit right in here I think  :D
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0