• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Wellington 306 GTi-6

Started by Pug de Gaulle, March 04, 2013, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pug de Gaulle

Hi all, a lurker (albeit usually on www.306gti6.com) coming out of the shadows here.

A few years a go I swapped my 164 V6 24 valver for a 306 GTi-6 as my daily driver (after using my sisters XT which surprised me by actually being brilliant). It's been a tremendous amount of fun. Thought I'd tire of it and swap it for something else... but I can't really bring myself to let go of it! So several sets or Mr Toyo's feet, some oil, quite a lot of 98 unleaded, the odd timing belt, and one headlight bulb later here I am.

203k now, kept it as original as possible. Other than obligatory regular maintenance (Andrew @ Adlams, I had a bad experience with the Pug dealer sadly) and genuine replacement parts (ugh, drop-links) it's as factory as I can keep it. I'm showing my age - and the side effects of metal roads on the odd occasion, but I'd like to think aging as gracefully as a mildy crazy thing can.

I see the odd GTi-6 around every now and again (a slightly lowered and deftly tinted China Blue in Miramar, and an S16 in matching Blaze Gold to me in Newtown). Not too many of them running around unmolested or looking reasonable now  :(

My owners previous car history is checkered. The aforementioned (wonderful, much missed, best car ever 164, a R25V6 as a ski car way back, stunning supercharged Corrado and a 1.6 GTi 205 in the UK - both work cars, never got to try a 1.9 damnit!) lots of boring company vehicles - actually the VTi-R Prelude was bloody good I must admit, including the odd transit van - oh the unrelenting joy! - and the obligatory first car: a bulletproof, fun and - looking back - brilliant 1.5L normally aspirated Honda Civic!

Saw some lovely Citroëns up at Southwards Open House this weekend and thought I should finally say g'day to the fellow Wellywood frog owners. So G'day, that's me, Dougal the Peugeot. And yes, I'm Dougal because my owner called me de Gaulle but everyone mispronounces my name!!!

Cheers!

Dougal
Blaze Gold 1997 Ph2 306 GTi-6, Wellington

[attachment deleted by admin]

mrantarctica

Welcome!

In pretty good nick for 203K! Presumably you are running T1R's on the feet?

Somewhat strange for a GTI6 to be singing the praises of another car, let alone an Italian!!

Pug de Gaulle

Ha ha yes it IS odd, but true.

Yup T1Rs and it's doing OK. Quibbles have been minor, must fix drivers window switch (again) some time, and time for another big service soon.

Only major non standard item is an engine mount which I'll swap back out to spec next time - too rigid.

Regular trips over to the Wairarapa and up the coast to see family certainly make the slightest misalignment evident in those tyres, but they're a reasonable compromise between my city commute, gentle fun, and predictable wet weather.

First world problems huh!

Cheers!

kiwibrick

Welcome!

Some of us like to molest 6's..........  ;)
306 S16 6speed

mrantarctica

Some have mentioned issues with wet weather grip on the T1R's. I use Potenza Adrenaline's on my 6 - no complaints but I haven't really put them through their paces.

Pee Dubbaya

Welcome along, good to have you here!
If you've ever seen a slammed out all black gti6 in welly that'd be me. Awesome cars- if you have a good one hang on to it. Best bang-for-your-buck around & best of all it's not a golf!
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

blv205gti

That car looks pretty stunning in gold, I'd never even heard about the GTi-6 til I joined this forum recently, reading up on them they sound pretty amazing to drive!

Bennny

Welcome to fast frogs.
I have a 6 and (don't tell any one) but I'd happily swap it for 3l
V6 156 or 164. Alfa V6 has the most pleasant induction roar I've
ever heard. I test drove one a few months back and have been checking
trade me daily waiting for a red and black 164 cloverleaf to come up  :D.
That said, gti-6's are still amazing little cars.

Mungous

Owning Alfas is like having an insane but hot lingerie model as a girlfriend. Frequent breakdowns, screaming tantrums and tears of rage become frustratingly normal, but you'd always regret getting rid of her because hey, lingerie model!
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

RS

Ha, I cant ever see myself with either.

Welcome, 306 looks great in that colour, I remember it was the hero colour when launched, all press cars were in that hue.