• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hello

Started by nat16v, October 31, 2013, 07:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nat16v

I just bought my first Peugeot, a 97 306 GTI6.  I got it cheap and am in the process of fixing a few oil leaks in the engine.  Not too worried about it though, it will be sorted and on the road shortly.  Looking forward to seeing your rides and learning more about these cars.  Once I get some decent pics I'll post them.

you wont get parts for it mate

welcome nat. heaps of info around here for little niggles on 306s! cam belts being the main. where are you located?

Pee Dubbaya

Welcome. Good choice! 306 GTI6's are great little cars  :D
Is yours at the mechanics or in your driveway for some diy handiwork?

P.s. Pics please!
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

Lord Page

Derek's don't run.

Peugeot Ludix Blaster - Malossi 70cc
Peugeot 406 HDi SW
Peugeot 206 GTi SW

nat16v

First attempt at posting pics, hope this works:

Haven't had time to give the car a wash this morning, but these will have to do for now.  As you can see the roof and bonnet are rooted.

I'm living on the Shore and Auckland having just come back to NZ from overseas and needed a car to get around.   Ideally it would be something relatively cheap and so I spent some time looking around at some pretty uninspiring Japanese cars.  My flatmates are into French cars and they seem cool so with very little convincing needed I picked this one up from TradeMe yesterday.  The previous owner had bought it with the intention of modding it to full boy racer spec (the car came complete with Max Power's guide to modding the 306) but didn't know much about cars.  It seemed decent enough on the test drive but was leaking oil.  I took it to get a warrant and it failed due to the amount of oil pooling under the engine, which allowed me to talk the price down and get some lowering springs, MAP sensor, flywheel and a few other parts thrown in.  A can of engine cleaner and 10 min with a pressure washer cleaned the oil up enough to get a warrant.

The leak looks like it may be coming from the cam box.  It's serious enough that I don't want to drive the car much until it's sorted so I'm debating whether to take it on myself this weekend.  The timing belt was done relatively recently but from what I've been told it would make sense to do the timing belt, water pump and cam seals at the same time.  My mechanical skills aren't amazing but I want to get the thing working ASAP and my flatmates have all the tools and garage to do it, just not the time.  Might be a fun project as long as I can finish it in a couple of days.

For the price I'm happy with the purchase and looking forward to enjoying the car.  Luckily I'm on holiday at the moment so have some time on my hands.

jazzy

Welcome bud.
Nice fast you got :)
There are a lot of us in and around Auckland.
1990 205 GTI

RS

Welcome.

Hope you get it sorted and are enjoying the drive soon.

Pee Dubbaya

Ahahaha! The location in those pictures looks very familiar...  ;D  Good luck with the fix up & I look forward to meeting you some time in the future  :)
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

kiwibrick

If it's coming out of the back of the head it should be burning that oil pretty good too!
If it's leaking from the cam carrier that will be a royal pain in the ass! If it's just the cam covers it's easy as, they don't use gaskets just a tiny bead of sealant.
306 S16 6speed

nat16v

I brought it to Greg Kemp to have a look and as suspected it's the cam carrier.  After debating a little about doing it myself, I'm going to have Greg do it as the quote was reasonable and the job would have been a pretty big stretch for my skills.  Having him do it leaves me time to do fix the small things like window reg etc.  In the end this was suspected when I bought it so still happy with the purchase.

P Dub, yep I figure some people here would recognize it.  Will be good to meet in person soon.

jazzy

Quote from: nat16v on November 01, 2013, 07:59:34 PM
P Dub, yep I figure some people here would recognize it.  Will be good to meet in person soon.
You have to catch him first lol
1990 205 GTI