• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Hi, Auckland cj

Started by AESNZ, November 19, 2013, 09:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AESNZ

Hi All,

Just introducing myself and my partners 1991 205 CJ. Her grandmother gave it too her a couple of years ago and she has used it as her summer car and its been a really reliable car and pretty fun to drive.

Unfortunately when renewing the warrant and rego for it this year it spat the dummy and the motor just stopped while the wof shop was checking it over. (no ignition spark)

I had just fitted a new battery and fresh fuel and it started straight away and drove up to the wof shop with no problems.

The distributor could be the problem but the mechanic suggested that the black module attached could be causing it due to it not running over winter? 

Any help in finding parts or ideas on what could be causing the problem would be appreciated. 

Thanks,
Miles

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pee Dubbaya

Welcome along. Awesome summer car you have there  :D Seems weird that the igniton just died like that though... could also be that the coilpack is about to give up the ghost? Pull apart, check & clean all the connections first up. Or if you want minimum hassle go to Greg Kent Automotive on the shore; they know older Peugeots inside-out and should be able to diagnose the problem straight away for very reasonable rates.
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

AESNZ

Thanks for the quick reply. It would be nice if we could use it all year round but the roof is buggered so sits in the carport alot.
Ill pull it apart and have a look and hope its something basic as its a pain having to tow it.
If i cant figure it out ill see if i can get it out to them.

Cheers

Mungous

Those ignition modules screwed to the side of the distributor are notorious for failing. They often crap out when the car gets hot, then fire up again once it's cooled down. I always carry a spare in my cars, and that's saved my bacon at least twice!

But be aware that the root cause of repeated ignition module failures could be increased current draw caused by a faulty coil (or various other less-common issues).

I'd replace the module (not with a cheap Chinese one - they are crap), check ignition coil current draw and carry another module in the glovebox as a spare!
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

Pee Dubbaya

Looks like you may have the answers there Miles.
Buying OE electronic modules seems to be key- quite a few stories of cheap ones causing issues.
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

Don Simon

91 Peugeot 205 GTI MI-16
11 Ds3 Dsport HDI (Becky's)
97 Peugeot 306 Dturbo
1995 Citroen AX GT

2052NV

Also there will be a large relay above the drivers feet area. This is called the tachimetric replay and also is a very common cause of everthing suddenly stopping. It supplies power to the ignition system and fuel system. Take it out and whack it on the ground a few times then reinstall. do this with all the relays in the glove box also. if that does not work I have a spare one in my car if you would like to try it.

AESNZ

Quote from: Mungous on November 19, 2013, 01:00:20 PM
Those ignition modules screwed to the side of the distributor are notorious for failing. They often crap out when the car gets hot, then fire up again once it's cooled down. I always carry a spare in my cars, and that's saved my bacon at least twice!

But be aware that the root cause of repeated ignition module failures could be increased current draw caused by a faulty coil (or various other less-common issues).

I'd replace the module (not with a cheap Chinese one - they are crap), check ignition coil current draw and carry another module in the glovebox as a spare!

Thanks for the heads up. I've checked and pulled apart what I can and it all seems good just no spark  getting through, so am going to get my hands on a couple of ignition modules and swap the old one out.
Any ideas on who the best people are to get genuine parts from?

Thanks for everyone's help and hopefully I can get it going soon so we don't miss another mint weekend driving it.