• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

309 SRI 1989 One previous owner 48k kms

Started by btz461, April 28, 2014, 04:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btz461

Recently acquired this pristine example of french engineering.......

A couple of things, why are the brakes so terrible?Would a bigger bore master cylinder help give the pedal less travel and more "feel"?(Front discs and rear drums all in good order)

The oil dipstick seems to rise off the top of the tube ever so slightly.

All advice received with enthusiasm!

Not withstanding the forgoing quite like the car, and wouldn't mind looking for either a 205 GT1 or 106 Rallye
If anyone know of or has for sale flip me an email,wjc508@gmail.com,

Cheers

Bill

RS

Welcome, sounds like a minter.

The brakes may be made of cheese, I found the trick with my last Peugeot was to not brake.

btz461

My other cars include M3 BMW and Schnitzer 325is coupe,all front engined and rear wheel driven mit ze good brakes.
I found the torque steer that this beauty gives quite confusing to begin with but have rapidly become acclimatised.Still, deceleration when stamping on the middle pedal would be a plus (instead of a massive amount of pedal travel before retardation)
If you know what I mean...........

BigPete

Does it have disc or drum rear?

Edit: just re-read your post. I've often found yuck Peugeot brakes to be caused by the rear drum set up being out of adjustment or leaking wheel cylinders (or both). When I had a 205 GTI with failing master cylinder, the brakes still worked lush with the first stomp of the pedal, but would creep if I kept my foot on the pedal while stationary.

Pee Dubbaya

Welcome to FF.
Likely rear drums set up as Pete said, and perhaps with such low mileage the fluid may not have been replaced recently & has absorbed moisture / turned to cat piss over the years. Check drums then give the whole system a really good bleed.

P.S. 106 Rallye 'Clubsport' very reluctantly for sale over here...  :-X
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0