• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

306 S16 project

Started by bpr306, May 10, 2014, 05:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpr306

Hi guys, I am a new member and have bought my first Pug this week, a 1995 306 S16 manual. It has a few bits that need sorting, chief among which is an annoying intermittent misfire. It some times runs fine then every now and again a crippling misfire kicks in.
It needs a new d/s headlight
There is a small amount of fuel seepage from the fuel filler pipe where it joins to the tank
There is a knocking noise form the d/s front corner when going over rough roads
The stitching on the base of the driver's seat has come away (half leather bucket seats)
It has the ugly jap spec back box on the exhaust that is almost the size of the fuel tank, so if anybody has a decent sports exhaust for it that'd be useful.

It passed a VINZ wof 2 weeks ago but it just needs tidying up. Probably the nicest car I've driven but feels like it has potential to be better.

Ben

Bennny

Welcome Ben.

Nice choice, I drive a 00 GTi-6 and they are
Pretty sweet whips.
That knocking is either the drop link or the top engine mount
and possibly torn cradle under the mount.
I had it too when I bought mine and it was both of the above.
I suggest getting the front off the ground and checking the link then pulling the
Mount and having a look underneath. Neither is difficult
To check or replace but if the cradle is torn that's a little more complicated.

Regard,
Bennny.

CaM

1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

Bennny

The other possibility is a worn ball joint.
Easy enough to check that with a pry bar.

DRTDVL

Biggest problem with the s16 was the variable intake control vac pods. The arms should move about 50mm or so if the are working correctly to change runner length.

I found a hesitation in mine around the 3500 if the plugs needed to be replaced.

Make sure the control arm bushes are good! Makes a massive difference also.

Don Simon

Hi there,

Check the throttle pods like Heath said was saying.
The other thing thing that those beasties are good at lunching is the coil packs. Peeedubs has a s16 that he is wrecking
Also, There was a recall on 306's for leaking filler hoses. It may be an idea to check with peugeot

91 Peugeot 205 GTI MI-16
11 Ds3 Dsport HDI (Becky's)
97 Peugeot 306 Dturbo
1995 Citroen AX GT

Pee Dubbaya

Hi and welcome.
As Simon said, I have quite a few S16 bits- PM me & I'll see if I have replacements for you. Intake is already gone, but have coilpacks, seats, lights, and a couple of 306 exhausts (including one with all the boxes cut out already).
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

bpr306

Hi guys, thanks for that, sounds like it is just a fairly straight forward fix. I have found a vacuum leak at each of the round pods at each end of fuel rail / intake manifold where the pleb superglued the plastic collars back to the pods. I have made up a temp fix using electrical connectors and urethane but would like to replace them if possible.

bpr306

Quote from: Don Simon on May 11, 2014, 09:12:46 AM
Hi there,

Check the throttle pods like Heath said was saying.
The other thing thing that those beasties are good at lunching is the coil packs. Peeedubs has a s16 that he is wrecking
Also, There was a recall on 306's for leaking filler hoses. It may be an idea to check with peugeot

Thanks for that, so if I took it into a Pug dealer, like Southern European (in Dunedin) that would be under warranty still??

DRTDVL

give them a call and they will be able to tell you if it's been done under the factory recall already, if it has you might have fun talking to them about get it replaced again.