• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

106 clubsport

Started by mattt, November 06, 2008, 04:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattt

Should have got around to this site earlier...

I've got a 106 rallye clubsport that I've owned since 1997.  Donald knows me well as I keep blagging parts off him!
It's essentially unchanged since I bought it in terms of specs-Roll cage taken out and rallye shocks put back in to put onto road, then new exhaust when the race one rusted out (not that I noticed the noise change).

Bloody marvellous little car, never taken it racing as my skills never would keep it in one piece-might be tempted later though.  Have a mate with an ex-rally of NZ clubsport also.
Previously my GF now wife had a 205 GTi 1.9 (japanese spec).  Had better midrange grunt, but couldn't come close to the rallye's cornering.
Peugeot 106 rallye clubsport (gone to a good home)
Mk5 VW Golf R32

2052NV

i love 106 rallye's i want one so bad!

yes yes pics plz

dynofiend

106 Rallyes are the shizzle :D
Do you think that $400 is a reasonable price to be forced to pay for Euro style plates? If not, see this link and sign the petition! http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,2188.0.html

mattt

This is driving me nuts.  Who can help a noo b post pics?

Keeps coming up with: Cannot access attachments upload path...
Mk5 VW Golf R32

dynofiend

email them to me, dynofiend@hotmail.com ill host them for you
Do you think that $400 is a reasonable price to be forced to pay for Euro style plates? If not, see this link and sign the petition! http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,2188.0.html

BigPete

Go to http://imageshack.us and upload it there. It'll take you to a page with heaps of options - go right to the bottom where it says click for advanced stz and DO NOT USE THIS ON FORUMS. But use that one that they tell you not to use ::) and put (img) before it and (/img) after it except with square brackets. Then pics will magically appear in your posts.

mattt

emailed-Ta

Will try your plan V8pete next time I try to flick some shots up
Mk5 VW Golf R32

dynofiend

2052NV

MescaL

Hey there, i'm the guy at hell pizza with the 205 GTi, delivered pizza to you a couple of times and talked to you 'bout your pug =D. I briefly mentioned the site but you might not of caught it 'cos I was in a rush due to late deliveries, on the upside i was in race mode, enjoying grey lynn's awesomely fun (albeit dodgy) backstreets =D. I often slow down and admire your 106 when i drive past =P

Spinout

That's a great looking car. Please forgive my ignorance but 106 Clubsport and 106 Rallye what's the difference ? are they one and the same ?

Cheers

mattt

Not ignorant-they start the same.  It only refers to the NZ registered cars.  As I understand, the story goes: When they were brought out in 1994ish only a couple of dozen series 1 rallyes were brought in.  About 20 or so of these were kitted out identically by Edgil motorsport as a "race spec" clubsport and were registered with LTNZ as 106 clubsports whilst the standard rallyes are registered as 106 rallyes.  The few of those 4-5 were sold with the original suspension, ECU & steel wheels.  The race clubsports all had motoforms put on as they were as sponsor for the "?Peugeot cup" race that was run, but because the original steelies are apparently better many race cars have gone back to the steel wheels in subsequent racing.  The other way to pick them is that they ride lower at the back (redone rear suspension torsion bar & set lower-I think makes them less prone to understeer) and have bonnet clips (unless they've been shunted in which case a repaired bonnet might have them taken out).  The race spec also involved cage, a race chip, race exhaust, uprated suspension and seals placed on a variety of bits like the throttle body to ensure no-one had a power advantage.  Even so, some of the cars did tend to lap a bit quicker than others.

Since that time, a few more rallyes have been imported but probably just as many have been written off racing.  I know of mine, a mates ex-rally of NZ car, one driven by an asian girl (prev in Newmarket-she kept being mistaken for my wife, but I think hers is/was a standard rallye), the guy in Welly & Don's 3 or 4 rallyes in various degrees of mobility.  There's a rolled one on TM presently as well as a competition car.  Also seems to be 3-5 each time Targa comes around.  All the of the ones on the road have the red interior with red seatbelts.  My mate's ones interior is virtually mint, but mine's been loved on the road for the past 10 or so years so it's not quite as good.  Some prat sideswiped it a couple of years back, so I used the insurance payout to use toward sorting out the front wing repair that wasn't sorted right, a spot of rust around the windscreen (common to all 106s) and a full respray.  I have a auto signwriting company that have the decals sorted if anyone needs them.  Don't get them thru Peugeot, they cost a fortune

A couple of years ago they were going for about $6K on TM but now they seem to be appreciating-the comp car is going for about $9K and I saw one advertised for $10K not that long ago.  It didn't last long so I assume it sold at that value. I paid $16K in 1997 so it has done pretty well for depreciation...
Mk5 VW Golf R32

dynofiend

A Rallye went in an auction here in welly about two months ago for less than 5k.

Lowering the rear of a 106 actually increases understeer, but for a track/rally car, this is desirable, as the lift off oversteer in standard suspension spec is quite severe, and could easily catch out a driver on the limit and end their race! The extra understeer just makes the car more predictable, easier to drive on the limit, but a little less fun. I guess the uprated torsion bars would redress this balance to some degree. Another factor with trailing arm rear suspension, is that the roll centre is basicly at road level, so the more you lower it, the less roll you get. This isnt really the case for MacPherson struts, and the geometry of these doesnt react well to lowering, especiall taking the steering arm angle into account!

mattt

Cheers

Always wondered about that-I seem to remember a good article on suspension in 106rallye.co.uk-was that yours?  It would fit with the inability to unstick the rear unless I really provoke it in the wet.
As for the prices...always good to have one's reality balanced
Mk5 VW Golf R32

dynofiend

It might have been my article, I have absorbed alot of 106 related stuff over all the years Ive been messing around with them :D